Tianjin

Floridiana

We are going to do a back to back cruise that stops in Tianjin for one day to let passengers off and take new ones on. We will stay on, but are looking into options to get off the ship for a few hours.

We have just come back from a month long China tour that included Bejing, so we are in no rush to go to Bejing again.

If the ship docks in Tianjin directly, how far way is the Cultural Street? Walking distance? Is there anything else besides shopping, maybe massages?

If I am not mistaken, Tianjin was one of the 5 ports open to foreign trade during the Qin dynasty. Is anything left of the old concession districts?

Tianjin USED to be the Port of Beijing.

Most ships today actually berth at Xingang (Mandarin for "New Port").

Xingang has a massive terminal - and absolutely nothing else for miles around.

Passengers getting off the ship at Xingang need to take a bus or taxi to Tianjin, about 30 minutes drive away.

Tianjin had a massive earthquake in the 1970's that destroyed most of the city.

Nearly anything you see there today is less than 40 years old.

Edited by BruceMuzz

Thanks BruceMuzz. I read that the ship will very likely dock at the new terminal despite Tianjin on the schedule. Is there anything IN the new terminal worthwhile getting off the ship? I might just getting my hopes up. :-)

Absolutely nothing at the terminal that I saw in Nov. 2012 -- new/clean/sterile and absolutely out with nothing else. I would not trust that cab drivers will be out that far-- I would recommend having some transportation arranged but maybe there was more than I saw just getting on Princess bus to the airport. I know that it was a long ride to airport with one rest stop after about 90 mins. that had bathrooms and convenience store but nothing else.

Sorry my news is not better. We could not arrange train transportation though I asked our wonderful guide about it on our precruise tour where we stayed a week in BJ. Not developed out that way yet and it is on reclaimed land so no buildup -- the terminal is the first thing out there.

\

Sorry I really don't see many other options unless you had a private guide pick you up and go one or two places in BJ on that side of town (seems to me could get to one part of the Great Wall in about 90 minutes.) Our time in BJ in early Oct. was beautiful with huge flower displays from Golden Week and all in wonderful order. When we arrived back in port at Tianjin, it was early November with leaden skies, misty rain to hard rain, cold and the air was thick with fog. Maybe that is why I was so disappointed when we came back. It was like going from color TV to black and white with rabbit ears. Hope you have clear weather and bright colors.

In March 2014, we took the train to Tianjin (rather than Tanggu) to join our ship because so many more trains to Tianjin. The taxi driver did not know how to get there and it took a lot longer than we thought to get there - almost an hour and a half. (Cheap though!)

There is nothing around the cruise port except a modern building.

You can make arrangements for someone to pick you up, so there may be some options. Tianjin is very modern, but the air quality was terrible the day we drove by it. Tripadvisor shows some things to see - http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g311293-Activities-Tianjin.html

and

http://wikitravel.org/en/Tianjin

http://www.chinahighlights.com/tianjin/

Is the cruiseline offering any (overpriced, obviously) day trip or tours near the port for several hours as that might be your best option, without worrying about language, driver, directions, what & where, and not making it back to the ship for sailaway, etc. etc. ??

On Flyertalk dot com, the equivalent of CC for frequent flyers - check under the Destination for Asia > China - and there are a # of expats who are experts on what to do, who & how, etc. with connections to English speaking local guides/drivers who might have suggestions or ideas - and do the hookup for you with a negotiated fee or set package deal.

With only a few hours in the port & not familiar with the area and where language can be a barrier, unlike BJ where English is better spoken at popular tourist destination accustomized to "Laowei" visiting - do it for peace of mind as it would be a shame to be there and just chill out on the deck. HST to/from BJ South Station is about 35 minutes but those rail stations are huge & look more than an airport and it can be confusing, but, there is English speaking help available at designated windows and counters - but, if several hundreds fellow cruisers also showed up - lines can get rather long.

Pretty sure you know this, always pre-print ahead of sailing your stops with names in simplified Chinese & English, with maps & directions (if possible) for the driver and for public transport purposes - along with important contact's local telephone numbers (ship/port agent, etc.)

We have just come back from Bejing, went to the Great Wall, did all the usual things with a guide and we had good weather. Miles of roses were in bloom.

I am sure the same travel company could find something new for us. The cruise line is not offering anything so far.

But thank you for everybody's input.

• 1 month later...

You can check the train schedule at this site.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/

Tanggu is the closest train station to Tianjin cruise port. Tianjin is about an hour and a half by taxi.

Not much around the cruise port. I have only departed, not arrived, so I will leave that for someone else to comment on. However, our Tianjin taxi driver in March 2014 did not know the location of the port.

See also Seat 61 for more info about Chinese trains.

http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#.U-eDO1aJVwY

The port is named Xingang (新港), which is about 45 km east to downtown Tianjin. The district where Xingang is located is named Tanggu. Tianjin Metro Line 9 connects Tanggu to downtown Tianjin. A train ride from Tanggu or TEDA metro stations to Tianjin's central railway station takes 40 minutes.

There is also a few direct high-speed trains serve Tanggu Railway Station every day, make a stop in Tianjin's central station before continuing to Beijing South. A single trip from Tanggu to Beijing South Station takes just under an hour. Both Tanggu metro station and the railway station are about 15 minutes away from the sea port by cab and should not cost you more than ¥20–¥30 by meter.

To visualize this, go to Google Maps and search "Tianjin port"

Train stations are reasonably easy to navigate. You can buy your tickets on the sport or use an agent like http://www.china-diy-travel.com who will provide you with directions in English and Chinese. They get outstanding reviews on TripAdvisor.

• 2 weeks later...
Any one interested in sharing car into Beijing transfer Only on Oct 13th returning following afternoon 14th to the ship. Please leave response on this sight. Sincerely Allan and Sandra

We are 4 persons and interesting to go to Beijing, but the date is diferent, what a shame.

I am very very confused now. We dont get to Xiangang port, we are going to Tianjin port. So if i take a taxi to the trainstation should be ok! But on our way back I have to get the ticket to Tianjin and not to Tangu. My god, i have put a notice away to get the ticket to Tangu.

We are 4 persons and interesting to go to Beijing, but the date is diferent, what a shame.

I am very very confused now. We dont get to Xiangang port, we are going to Tianjin port. So if i take a taxi to the trainstation should be ok! But on our way back I have to get the ticket to Tianjin and not to Tangu. My god, i have put a notice away to get the ticket to Tangu.

Xiangang is Tianjin port. You want a ticket to Tangu as it is much closer to the port.

Tianjin is a massive port and the cruise terminal is not easily found, especially with non-local taxi drivers. Taxi drivers waiting at the terminal will want a high fare to take you anywhere, even close by. Lots of info including google map location and links to directions in Chinese on the cruiseportwiki page.

Edited by movc

Tianjin is a massive port and the cruise terminal is not easily found, especially with non-local taxi drivers. Taxi drivers waiting at the terminal will want a high fare to take you anywhere, even close by. Lots of info including google map location and links to directions in Chinese on the cruiseportwiki page.

Taxi at Tianjin (Xingang) port is "Mafia" Control.

They will not use the meter and charge double the normal meter rate.

The asking price from Tianjin (Xingang) port Tianjin (Not Tanggu) railway station is 400-500 RMB (US$65.00-85.00).

The taxi size is also very small. can carry only 3 persons with 2x20" luggage.

The journey from port to Tianjin Rail station is about 1 hour.

Tianjin have High Speed Train to Beijing every 15 Minutes.

The journey is about 45 Minutes.

We will stay 3 days in Beijing, so our problem is how to get to tanjin trainstation?

We arrived years ago en XIngang port, and some of the drivers where waiting infront of the ship, the rest of the drivers and taxis waited outside. This was a big nightmare, police round, lots of people round, pushing etc etc.

I can see celebrity doesnt offer a shuttle in to the trainstation?

Somebody said 65$ just to the station from the ship, thats really a lot. Think would be better to get a car organized.

Taxi at Tianjin (Xingang) port is "Mafia" Control.

They will not use the meter and charge double the normal meter rate.

The asking price from Tianjin (Xingang) port Tianjin (Not Tanggu) railway station is 400-500 RMB (US$65.00-85.00).

The taxi size is also very small. can carry only 3 persons with 2x20" luggage.

The journey from port to Tianjin Rail station is about 1 hour.

Tianjin have High Speed Train to Beijing every 15 Minutes.

The journey is about 45 Minutes.

400 rmb is outreagous. That would make it probably the most expensive taxi ride in all of China. For not much more ( prob 600 rmb) you should be able to get a car to pick you up from Beijing.