Ship Movement Windsurf

Evangaline

Have really wanted to sail on the Windsurf, but DH claims the ship is too small and therefore there would be too much ship movement. It's not an issue of motion sickness. He is a light sleeper and movement keeps him awake at night. I know this is a difficult thing to describe, but normally, how pronounced is the ship movement on the Windsurf?

I have sailed on the Windsurf 5 times - both in the Caribbean and Mediterranean - I have found it to have less motion than the larger ships. I do suffer from motion sickness and always have used the patch (half) on the larger ships. I do not need to use the patch on Windsurf - usually a Bonine does the trick.

I've spent two weeks on the Surf in the Med, and have to say that it was the smoothest ride we've had in any ship, including large ones in the Caribbean and the Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia, which was very rocky.

If you get a middle cabin on deck one the motion should be at a minimal. They have excellent stabalizers and the sails also help. I would try the Caribbean first more specifically the BVI trip,out of St. Martin, more sheltered and it has some of the calmest waters. See how that goes, great trip, beautiful visuals. I have completed 2 Trans-Atlantics, the Transacific, the Med. ( 15 in all ) Maybe I have had good luck but all have had very little motion, I am one who wishes for more!

cabin placement is important. Also remember you are on the ocean, she is fickle, there is always a chance for motion. Have had a life of sailing: best chance, winter, Caribbean, the Yachtman trip (BVIs ) this is your best chance for calm seas. I hope you go great experience. Happy Sailing, Susanne

Cabin choice is complicated. Deck 1 will certainly be smoother, but you need to balance that against the extra set of stairs (the Surf does have elevators as well). Also, water tends to slop against the port holes and when you're in port you'll often look right into the side of the pier. Deck 3 has the suites so if you spring for that you'll be up there by default. We were just on the Surf on Deck 2 and had no real issues.

Stabilizers are great, but only do so much when you're in a cross-wave situation. We had choppy water and high winds when we made the N/S run from Barcelona to Palma and we were rocking and rolling all night. Being severely jet-lagged, I went up on deck about 2am to get some air and was almost blown off the side.