Lusitania Remembered

Host Hattie

At 2.10pm on Thursday 7 May Queen Victoria's whistle will mark the time when Lusitania was torpedoed off the Old Head of Kinsale exactly 100 years before. A second whistle will sound at 2.28pm to indicate how little time there was between the first hit and the ship's sinking.

Details and photographs on Cunard's page here

At 2.10pm on Thursday 7 May Queen Victoria's whistle will mark the time when Lusitania was torpedoed off the Old Head of Kinsale exactly 100 years before. A second whistle will sound at 2.28pm to indicate how little time there was between the first hit and the ship's sinking.

Interesting tidbit - thanks. Building on this, and the already almost-overdone Titanic reminiscences, I suppose virtually every day could be made to commemorate some maritime tragedy: the Birkenhead, the Andrea Doria, the Costa Concordia - the list goes on. And, how about naval losses? Bismarck, Prince of Wales and Repulse, Hood, Ark Royal, Indianapolis, that bad one: Chicago, Astoria, Vincennes and Quincy.

I was a passenger on board QE2 on oct 21, 2005. I had done my homework and found that we would be passing over the site of the battle of trafalgar on that date. I had a small wreath made up and asked if it would be o.k. to commemorate the occasion. All I had in reply was blank stares and shoulder shrugging. At the appointed place and time I commemorated the action which undoubtedly saved G.B. from being taken. I also, in Royal Navy tradition, upended a bottle of Navy Rum with the call "Up Spirits". If it is so important to remember Lusitania now, after 100years, why couldnt Cunard remember the courage and sacrifice shown on trafalgar 200, and at least sounded the ship's whistle.

I was a passenger on board QE2 on oct 21, 2005. I had done my homework and found that we would be passing over the site of the battle of trafalgar on that date. I had a small wreath made up and asked if it would be o.k. to commemorate the occasion. All I had in reply was blank stares and shoulder shrugging. At the appointed place and time I commemorated the action which undoubtedly saved G.B. from being taken. I also, in Royal Navy tradition, upended a bottle of Navy Rum with the call "Up Spirits". If it is so important to remember Lusitania now, after 100years, why couldnt Cunard remember the courage and sacrifice shown on trafalgar 200, and at least sounded the ship's whistle.

Pussers, I hope.

Interesting tidbit - thanks. Building on this, and the already almost-overdone Titanic reminiscences, I suppose virtually every day could be made to commemorate some maritime tragedy: the Birkenhead, the Andrea Doria, the Costa Concordia - the list goes on. And, how about naval losses? Bismarck, Prince of Wales and Repulse, Hood, Ark Royal, Indianapolis, that bad one: Chicago, Astoria, Vincennes and Quincy.

Lusitania was a Cunard ship, maybe that was the reason.

Lusitania was a Cunard ship, maybe that was the reason.

QE2 was the queen of the British merchant fleet, and as The Battle of Trafalgar was a successful British naval action I thought it would have been a nice gesture on Cunard's part.

Hi Hattie

Thank you so much for the links. We've just disembarked from this voyage but whilst we were involved with the commemorations, we had left Cobh before the media coverage was released and, sadly, because there was interference in the port of Dublin, which prevented us from getting a satellite signal, there was no TV onboard - in any event, I think another story dominated the news on Friday!

The number of little boats that participated in the evening procession into the harbour, replicating bringing the survivors/dead ashore, was very moving. A very good turnout by the locals. I can't wait to watch our voyage DVD when we get home.

I have just returned home from this wonderful trip. I have watched by voyage DVD, it's terrible!! I've had voyage DVDs before and they have been a lot better than this one, it's like an amateur holiday video.

Anyway, I bought the DVD for the three ships/ Lusitania ceremonies, which are well presented: however, they really should have put on the DVD the bit where the Cunard crew met the Irish President!!

Well done to Cunard for making this a most memorable trip. Each cabin got a copy of The Story of Cunard's 175 years by Eric Flounders & Michael Gallagher, a 175 years pin badge for everyone, three celebration menus (4th, 6th and 7th May), a booklet entitled The Sinking of the Lusitania and a booklet with details of the order of service. Also a pic of the QV with the ship's log on the back. So we came home loaded!

The flotilla of small boats sailing past the QV in the evening was especially memorable with everyone waving up to the ship.

Shame though on the ship's photographers for trying to pass off a photo of the three queens taken last year in Lisbon as if it were taken on the 3rd May in Southampton.

I saw someone in the bookshop purchase a copy of the above-mentioned book on the first day but will have got back to her cabin later on to find the complimentary copy on her bed.

This Friday on Channel 5 at 8.00pm is a programme entitled:

Lusitania: 18 Minutes That Changed World War One

One-off documentary about the sinking of the liner by a U-boat in 1915, which resulted in the deaths of 1,198 passengers and crew and was a factor in the US's entry into World War One.

The programme can be watched here for anyone who missed it. You have to wait for a couple of adverts first:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/lusitania-18-minutes-that-changed-ww1/episodes/lusitania-18-minutes-that-changed-ww1

Also a short video on Cunard's website from 7th May with the flotilla of small boats at the end:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-types/anniversary-cruises-2015/#3qsou

Edited by Ray66

We were on the Lusitania Remembered voyage and contacted the Irish times to see if I could buy a copy of the paper that covered the event. They are very kindly sending me a copy of the paper that was published on 8th May, and not charging me! I am looking forward to adding this to my voyage souvenirs.

We were on the Lusitania Remembered voyage and contacted the Irish times to see if I could buy a copy of the paper that covered the event. They are very kindly sending me a copy of the paper that was published on 8th May, and not charging me! I am looking forward to adding this to my voyage souvenirs.

Summergee, if you're collecting any digital souvenirs, you might be interested in this: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/video-lusitania-centenary-tragic-deaths-should-be-honoured-and-remembered-with-due-respect-329412.html

Re: last night's programme on Channel 5. The photo of the Hook family was featured in an excellent display that was on show in Cobh on 7th May.

Incidentally, the Hook family later emigrated to Australia, where young Frank became a very successful businessman.

I have just received a copy of the Irish Times. Commodore Rynd is in one of the pictures. No picture of the Irish President even though he gave quite a long speech, part of which was reported.

Hi Happyboating. No, it wasn't. There were only a couple of pictures from the ceremony. On the front page of the paper there was a picture of the ladies in red that were around the town.

I have just received a copy of the Irish Times. Commodore Rynd is in one of the pictures. No picture of the Irish President even though he gave quite a long speech, part of which was reported.

Summergee, President Higgins and his remarks (which I found quite moving) are in the video included in the website I cited previously, as is a video and photos of the Queen Victoria.

If interested, see http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/video-lusitania-centenary-tragic-deaths-should-be-honoured-and-remembered-with-due-respect-329412.html