JFK or LGA for Red Hook?

I am coming in the day before and want to stay in a hotel by one of the airports. Need to go to Red Hook the following day. I heard LGA construction is horrible. Any NY'ers have an opinion? LGA or JFK? Which is a better area?

What is your exact date? How many people? Are you going round trip?

Depending on your answers to these questions, either LGA or Newark could be the best answer. Hotels at JFK are generally not recommended.

Even though getting to Red Hook is more expensive from Newark than from LGA, it could be balanced out by the less expensive hotels at Newark. Flying home from either LGA or JFK would be an option. Check some airline prices and post back.

I see that the OP needs a hotel room on Sat Sep 16, which is super high season in Manhattan because of Fashion Week and the opening of the UN General Assembly. Manhattan hotels are very pricey at this time.

For a EWR flight I'm seeing the Newark Penn Station Hilton for $119 plus tax on united.com. They have a free airport shuttle and a skywalk to Newark Penn Station for NJ Transit or PATH access to midtown or downtown Manhattan.

For LGA united.com has a sale on the Courtyard for $157 plus tax.

Flying in Sept 16. I did not want to stay in Manhattan. Just wanted to get in a day early because I never chance on flying in the same day of cruise ...
CY is one of the newest properties in this area, on Ditmas Blvd. nearby are car rentals and residential beyond, That's a good price for mid-September but keep checking, sometimes - there are last minute price drop and it has free airport shuttle, about 10 minutes when things are running smooth + wait them for the loop.

Depending on your wheels down & gate arrival time, you might want to pickup dinner to go ?? at the airport's food court (they are located, landside in Terminal B / Central Terminal ... American, United, Air Canada, etc.) - higher prices as expected like other cities. Otherwise, it's delivery to the hotel, area is perfectly safe to walk around in the evening - at least 4 or 5 blocks for a local deli or comfort/fast food in the area, nothing fancy or upscale to speak of.

LGA has fewer flights these days on weekend so I wouldn't be terrible worried about the traffic jams & problems faced by other travelers on a weekday afternoon - it's worst than SFO or LAX for that timeframe but what do they expect, less than 24 hours after a foot of snow got dumped on sections of the city. Sunday morning, if you decide to stay near LGA - book a car service to Red Hook's Pier 12, Brooklyn - confirmed flat rate, and drivers won't get lost - taxi drivers can be a problem ... sometimes, even though they are supposed to know ... while the fare meter is running to go for a long & scenic ride (if you see "Ikea" or signs, he/she is LOST but close enough, just don't walk over)

I decided to update the 411 thread on LGA that Carol started last year - this is an ongoing issue for the next several years - at some point, the terminals are going to be moved , all in stages. From the airport, the free shuttle will go around & cross the highway overpass to the other side for several blocks to the hotel. There's also a 82nd Street overpass/airport exit a little further - for the drivers to use, not necessary a shortcut or faster.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52327602#post52327602