corfu airport

Came through Corfu airport in June this year. We were lucky as our coach (from a hotel) got in before other coaches so we only queued about 10 minutes outside. The queues inside were very short. We didn't go straight through security.....we found seats land side. And our plane went a few minutes early!!

However, soon after we got there the queues outside the airport stretched right along the front and 2 planes had very long delays.

Although we were delayed by 9 hours I thought the airport was better organised than in previous years. I think the answer is not to go through security too early as there is an upstairs cafe in the check in area which was not busy at all and had free wifi so we could track our delayed plane from Edinburgh! As we were delayed we were able to go across to the outdoor bar/cafe area opposite the entrance too which was shaded and cool. Thomsons did take us away to a hotel for lunch which passed a couple of hours![emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were lucky as we were first off the ship. Arrived at airport and no queue outside, we got through reasonably quickly. Also managed to get a seat in the departure lounge but within minutes of us arriving the place was packed and people sitting on the floors.

Sounds as if it hasn't improved much since we flew back from there about 25 years ago.

Probably about the worst airport we've experienced - although Verona was also a shambles.

Lifting off the runway it sounded as if it had been laid in sections and grouted at the joints like patio slabs !!! :eek:

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Although we were delayed by 9 hours I thought the airport was better organised than in previous years. I think the answer is not to go through security too early as there is an upstairs cafe in the check in area which was not busy at all and had free wifi so we could track our delayed plane from Edinburgh! As we were delayed we were able to go across to the outdoor bar/cafe area opposite the entrance too which was shaded and cool. Thomsons did take us away to a hotel for lunch which passed a couple of hours![emoji4]

We didn't go through security early either, but I wasn't aware of the upstairs cafe area. We have always sat downstairs on the seats between arrivals and departures where you can see through the glass wall to the departure lounge. Will remember about the cafe next month. 😎

Has anyone taken a taxi (early) from the ship to arrive at the airport first;)

Good tactic. But tell the person with the bus passenger list. The number of times we have had to wait at an airport for passengers who got taxis and did not tell anyone!!

In all our years traveling with Thomson, on cruises, no one has ever crossed us off a list going back to the airport.

They must know how many should be on the coach as they count people plus the rep came looking for a small number of people including us in the scrum of the quayside at Palma, to direct us to our coach.

We didn't go through security early either, but I wasn't aware of the upstairs cafe area. We have always sat downstairs on the seats between arrivals and departures where you can see through the glass wall to the departure lounge. Will remember about the cafe next month. [emoji41]

Jackie, as you go in the entrance look up and the cafe is at the back up the stairs. From there you can watch the queue for security and if it gets quite long you can join it to be sure of getting through in time. (It didn't when we were there, we got through very quickly). If you have lots of time the outside cafe is more pleasant to wait in.

I think Heraklion airport is worse than Corfu. When we were in the departure 'lounge' we couldn't get to the duty free or toilets as is was so packed with people you could not get through. And as for a seat, no chance!

Jackanne1 the reason why they count you off as you board the coach is so that they are certain it is full, we would however as you say always let them know if we did not require the coach, I still cannot understand why you had to wait at the airport for missing cruisers or how they knew they were missing.

Thankyou fellow cruisers. Let us hope we are there early. Why can't it be like Dubrovnik and Barbados,no bother at all there. Think we will use homeport of Newcastle for next cruise, into Baltic. Not a "bronzy" cruise,but interesting.

Thanks again,Shellsailor.

PS. Cruising Dream,2nd Sept, not long now. :):):)

Jackanne1 the reason why they count you off as you board the coach is so that they are certain it is full, we would however as you say always let them know if we did not require the coach, I still cannot understand why you had to wait at the airport for missing cruisers or how they knew they were missing.

Every time we've been on a Thomsons package holiday or cruise, reps have checked names of arrivals from their lists and directed punters to the correct coach (or taxi) - then there is roll call onboard (by lead passenger surname) to ensure all parties are present and correct.

Is that not standard practice ?

This has happened twice on hotel holidays. One time the people concerned were in the same hotel as us and said as only €12 they got a taxi.

On the last few Thomson cruises/hotel holidays they have given us information sheets with our names on. Therefore if they had any left, they knew they weren't on the coach. It was just as well they checked as two years ago our cases were extremely late coming off the belt at Palma and they waited for us.

Every time we've been on a Thomsons package holiday or cruise, reps have checked names of arrivals from their lists and directed punters to the correct coach (or taxi) - then there is roll call onboard (by lead passenger surname) to ensure all parties are present and correct.

Is that not standard practice ?

We've never had a roll call on the bus. Just seen them counting heads.

We've never had a roll call on the bus. Just seen them counting heads.

Might have been on package holiday, can't recall specifics.

However, Thomsons staff have always performed some form of check in my experience.

Can't think of a scenario where they would not ensure all punters were accounted for - hence the delayed coaches due to irresponsible clients heading off in a taxi without informing a rep.

That is well out of order IMO.