RSSC Navigator Feb 3-7, 2006

Seven Seas Navigator: Feb 3-7, 2006.

Background: My wife and I are relatively experienced cruisers, having cruised with Seabourn (Seabourn Goddess, 2000), Silversea (SilverWind, 2004), Celebrity (Summit, 1999), RCCL (Enchantment of the Seas, 2004), and Carnival (Ectasy, 1999, Fascination, 2001). We are both energetic 46 yr olds, and appreciate the differences in what the various lines have to offer.

So, taking advantage of a 4-day weekend getaway, we booked the Navigator for a 4-day cruise: San Juan – St Barts – Virgin Gorda – St. Thomas – San Juan. Having read much praise, as well as recent criticism on the CruiseCritic Board lately, here are my thoughts having just returned.

The Ship: 495 passengers, lots of room, and Radisson’s claim of the largest space to pax ratio certainly came true. No crowds. We hardly saw people!

As for the ship itself, it reminded us very much of the Silversea ships, just slightly larger. Most staterooms had balconies, large (300 sq ft) and well decorated and equipped. Full bath and shower with plenty of room, no problem with hot water or water pressure. Great towels, robes, etc.

Walk-in closets, safe, lots of hangers. Comfortable-enough bed (we’ve seen better), plenty of lights, TV, DVD, refridge stocked and restocked daily.

Bottom line: the staterooms (suites as they call them) are second to none! No complaints there.

Two dining options: the main Compass Rose restaurant, way too noisy, no music, certainly lacking some atmosphere, but more than made up for by the excellent food and service. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, although felt that more fish choices should be added, especially given the fresh catch possibilities all through the Caribbean.

The second dining option is the Portofino Restaurant, reservations only. But, it was booked solid by the time we got around to deciding to try it. Heard only raves from others.

Decent fitness room, 5 treadmills, one elliptical, 3 bikes, some free weights, a tired Universal, separate aerobic/class room.

Entertainment: Nice trio playing each night in one of the lounges. Great pianist in the Connoisseur Lounge. Main shows: variable, some good, some not. (Short cruise).

Service: Clearly top notch….not one single complaint, from the cabin stewardess to the Maitre’d, all wonderfully attentive, pleasant, and accommodating. For a ship with gratuities included, this was just great!

The ship itself: As most of you reading probably know, Navigator did not begin life as a cruise ship, rather as a Russian Research Vessel. The keel was laid, and….well, RSSC came in, bought the keel, and had it finished out as a cruise ship.

So, no stabilizers, so the ride can get bad quickly in any kind of significant sea or wind. Next, she lists. Yes, all of you who have written on this board before about this problem are correct. She lists about 2 degrees to starboard! While this does not sound like much, it is quite noticeable, even when just walking to your stateroom when the ship is docked or anchored!

There is also a significant vibration in the stern, so try if at all possible to book cabins forward or amidships.

By the way, none of this is fixable, or, if it is, RSSC probably feels the costs are too high.

On our cruise, for the most part we had calm seas, but we spoke with many people who had sailed her before, and they shuddered at the thought of rough weather.

The Cruise Line: This was our first Radisson Seven Seas Cruise, so I was very interested in the comparisons to the other top lines in the small and midsize category, namely Seabourn, Silversea, and likely Seadream added as well.

The bottom line: the costs are about equal…..it seems one can actually get better discounts on Silversea, especially if you are on their e-mail list and can book late. As for the “hardware”, i.e. the ships themselves, Silversea and RSSC are about equal( save for the “problems on Navigator as discussed above) , ditto the service and food (actually better on Navigator than on SilverWind, at least on the cruises we took). Seabourn and SeaDream lack the size and balconies, but on the other hand offer more personalized services, and the option of the swim platform and watersports off the stern, which are both great fun).

For food quality, I’d have to say Seabourn and Seadream first, then RSSC, then Silversea.

However, given the comparable costs of RSSC, Seabourn and Silversea, I feel that the “nickel and diming” of RSSC with respect to alcoholic drinks is in poor taste. They think nothing of filling each cabin’s minibar with beer, and offer most cabin two bottles of non-premium booze or wine at the start of the cruise (cabins with butler service get four bottles of liquor). While there is a choice of wine included with each dinner, all other drinks on board are extra. So, you see people running back to their cabins to get cans of Budweiser and Heineken, or a bottle of port, as paying $7-$12 for same at the bars seems very nitpicky. Bottom line, like the other players in the high end cruise game, they need to make all non-premium ETOH included. 99% percent of all pax will not take advantage to the point of significant dollar loss to RSSC. Instead, it’s seen as an unnecessary add-on.

Lastly, they now charge $20 per person as a “fuel surcharge”! Here we are, paying $3600 for a 4-day cruise (yes, Category B with Butler included!), and RSSC adds on $40 for fuel. This is truly ridiculous, especially considering that much of the cruise is spent with the ship traveling in large circles or figure-of-eights! Face it, the distance between Virgin Gorda and St. Thomas is 29 miles, and we cruised for 14 hours to get there!

Conclusion: Would we cruise with RSSC again? Yes. On the Navigator? Maybe.

Thanks for reading.

lauderdale cruiser, I think that is one of the best reviews I have ever read from a first time cruiser to rssc who has not become "wedded" to the line! Thank you for your perspective, and welcome to cc! I have to agree with you about RSSC and SS being almost indistinguishable from each other except for the liquor thing.

Thank you for posting. Just makes our choices better informed!

having taken the cruise right before yours, I felt I needed to respond.

the quoted remarks are yours:

Comfortable-enough bed (we’ve seen better),
they are putting all new bedding on the ship in March.
So, no stabilizers, so the ride can get bad quickly in any kind of significant sea or wind.
actually there are stabilizers. That was confirmed with a visual when I was up on the bridge getting the tour. But, because of the design of the ship, you will feel the waves more. Our cruise was particularly rocky the first two days out of FLL. I'm one of the lucky ones who never seem to get seasick but I'd say almost half were not well the first couple of days.
Next, she lists. Yes, all of you who have written on this board before about this problem are correct. She lists about 2 degrees to starboard! While this does not sound like much, it is quite noticeable, even when just walking to your stateroom when the ship is docked or anchored!

As for the ship listing, I have to agree with you; I too noticed it, but only found it a problem when showering in port as the shower drained in the opposite direction to which way it listed.
There is also a significant vibration in the stern, so try if at all possible to book cabins forward or amidships
agreed.
I feel that the “nickel and diming” of RSSC with respect to alcoholic drinks is in poor taste. They think nothing of filling each cabin’s minibar with beer, and offer most cabin two bottles of non-premium booze or wine at the start of the cruise (cabins with butler service get four bottles of liquor). While there is a choice of wine included with each dinner, all other drinks on board are extra. So, you see people running back to their cabins to get cans of Budweiser and Heineken, or a bottle of port, as paying $7-$12 for same at the bars seems very nitpicky. Bottom line, like the other players in the high end cruise game, they need to make all non-premium ETOH included. 99% percent of all pax will not take advantage to the point of significant dollar loss to RSSC. Instead, it’s seen as an unnecessary add-on.

as someone who will only have 1/2 a glass of wine with dinner, and prefer to use up my calories on dessert, I didn't find this a problem at all, but understand how others could. But, there is a rumor that RSSC will be going all inclusive in 2007.
Lastly, they now charge $20 per person as a “fuel surcharge”!
this too was explained to us. The brochures for 2006 were printed before the price of oil jumped as high as it did. There will be no surcharge in 2007; instead the cost will be built into the price. But think about how much your oil has increased in the past year. All cruise lines are businesses and they have to make it up somewhere, either by charging more, or cutting services. I'd rather have the surcharge then lose services.

lauderdale cruiser:

Great review!

I have been an advocate of Radisson getting itself in line with Silversea and Seabourn as to "open bar" for so long that I've bored everyone to death with my comments on this subject. In short, I share your views, and more strongly so in light of Radisson's new higher fares. Let's hope the reports of a change for the better in this area in '07 prove correct.

The important point I noticed about your review is the fact that the Navigator now lists. I would like to point out that this SHOULD be fixable, as she did not list on our two earlier cruises on her -- the last being about two years ago. But recently, there have been numerous reports of the list problem. At first, such reports were dismissed in posts by by prior Navigator cruisers as something caused by a side wind. But you, and others, now report the list in fairly calm conditions, so there goes that theory! Radisson needs to fix this pronto. We've been on "listing ships" before (not Radisson) and this is more annoying to us than the vibration.

Speaking of vibration, and should you cruise Radisson again, we have found that the only Radisson ship which appears (presently) to be free of the stern vibration problem is the Mariner. Of course, all ships may have a little vibration here and there at times, but we agree that the stern vibration on the Navigator (and Voyager and Paul Gauguin) is very often excessive. Combining reports with personal experience, indications are that the Navigator had this problem from day one. The Voyager and Paul Gauguin developed this problem later in their lives after collisions of the screws with rocks, or due to causes unknown. But we've never experienced, nor read about, any such problem on the Mariner.

Thanks,

Richard

Seven Seas Navigator: Feb 3-7, 2006.

However, given the comparable costs of RSSC, Seabourn and Silversea, I feel that the “nickel and diming” of RSSC with respect to alcoholic drinks is in poor taste. They think nothing of filling each cabin’s minibar with beer, and offer most cabin two bottles of non-premium booze or wine at the start of the cruise (cabins with butler service get four bottles of liquor). While there is a choice of wine included with each dinner, all other drinks on board are extra. So, you see people running back to their cabins to get cans of Budweiser and Heineken, or a bottle of port, as paying $7-$12 for same at the bars seems very nitpicky. Bottom line, like the other players in the high end cruise game, they need to make all non-premium ETOH included. 99% percent of all pax will not take advantage to the point of significant dollar loss to RSSC. Instead, it’s seen as an unnecessary add-on.

I too have been on Radisson before, the Diamond and Voyager, and now having cruised on Seabourn, I too agree that the charging for drinks is petty and the change to an "open bar" should be made effective immediately. We hope to take the Navigator this summer in the Baltic and hope that this new policy to conform with the other elite cruise lines will already be in place.

Note to all who are bored with the discussion of "open bar". Do Not Read This.

Back in mid '03, there was a very, very long thread here on the subject of Radisson's need to go "open bar". Back then, Radisson had a significant price advantage over Silversea and Seabourn. But, for some reason, Radisson was sailing far from full. Our Navigator/Bermuda cruise in '03, for example, carried only 190 guests! So the thread proposed "open bar" as a cheap way for Radisson to fill their ships and turn a profit. Most posters were in favor of this. A significant number were not, for the reason that they didn't want to see Radisson raise its fares to Silversea and Seabourn levels, and feared that would happen if open bar were instituted.

Well, now we've got Radisson fares right up there with Silversea and Seabourn, but still no open bar as yet. So all of the posters in the '03 thread "lost", as of right now. Those who didn't want the higher fares got them. Those who wanted open bar have yet to see it.

Reports now are that Radisson ships are sailing pretty full as a general rule. So the '03 arguement that open bar should be adopted to fill the ships is no longer relevant.

It is relevant that Radisson fares are generally "up there" with Silversea and Seabourn. The competitive market will sooner or later demand that Radisson offer equal OR BETTER content (including open bar).

Radisson got to the point where most of its sailings are pretty full because of its favorable price/value relationship, in the eyes of the consumers. Now, higher fares have all but wiped that out. So content needs improvement in light of the higher prices, including, but not limited to, open bar. Otherwise, ships won't stay full for long.

Thanks,

Richard

Very interesting comments.

Reflects my experiences as well on that same sailing.

Do want to add, however, that their famous Rack Of Lamb was not on the menu even one night. :-(

I wonder if we ran into each other on the ship? Don't recall the name.

having taken the cruise right before yours, I felt I needed to respond.

the quoted remarks are yours:they are putting all new bedding on the ship in March. actually there are stabilizers. That was confirmed with a visual when I was up on the bridge getting the tour. But, because of the design of the ship, you will feel the waves more. Our cruise was particularly rocky the first two days out of FLL. I'm one of the lucky ones who never seem to get seasick but I'd say almost half were not well the first couple of days. As for the ship listing, I have to agree with you; I too noticed it, but only found it a problem when showering in port as the shower drained in the opposite direction to which way it listed.agreed.as someone who will only have 1/2 a glass of wine with dinner, and prefer to use up my calories on dessert, I didn't find this a problem at all, but understand how others could. But, there is a rumor that RSSC will be going all inclusive in 2007.this too was explained to us. The brochures for 2006 were printed before the price of oil jumped as high as it did. There will be no surcharge in 2007; instead the cost will be built into the price. But think about how much your oil has increased in the past year. All cruise lines are businesses and they have to make it up somewhere, either by charging more, or cutting services. I'd rather have the surcharge then lose services.

Okay, wait. We were on Navigator for 11 days in January. We were at the front of the ship on deck 8. I am a bathtub person. WHEN the ship listed, it was noticeable, note that. It DID NOT list every day. I filled the bathtub every day, and the water was level more times than it wasn't level.

Navigator isn't my favorite of the RSSC ships in a lot of ways, but it didn't list constantly.

(So, you two up there haven't shared your id's, huh? I knew who A was immediately, and I didn't "bump into" her. *snicker*)

Okay, wait. We were on Navigator for 11 days in January. We were at the front of the ship on deck 8. I am a bathtub person. WHEN the ship listed, it was noticeable, note that. It DID NOT list every day. I filled the bathtub every day, and the water was level more times than it wasn't level.

Navigator isn't my favorite of the RSSC ships in a lot of ways, but it didn't list constantly.

(So, you two up there haven't shared your id's, huh? I knew who A was immediately, and I didn't "bump into" her. *snicker*)

I noticed it mostly when in port and on the first night when the ship was rocking and rolling in the rough seas.

Pam, do you think GWESQ was joking? MEN!

For what it's worth, I didn't notice the "listing" when I was on the Navigator in June. Perhaps for some of us the inner ear adjusts accordingly, given the free flowing wine with dinner and en suite set-up. Or perhaps this problem occurred after my cruise.

In the interest of accuracy, well designed and well maintained ships may list from time to time, due to winds, water currents, and such. This is a normal and expectable part of cruising.

In contrast, I was on a ship once (not Radisson) that listed all the time -- even when docked or anchored! This situation is what I THOUGHT posters meant concerning the Navigator. If so, she's got a real problem. If not, she is just like most cruise ships: 5 to 10 times taller out of the water than their draft, and you're bound to get a "list" at times.

Thanks,

Richard

With regard to the listing issue, and especially for those of you who think it's normal for a ship, the list on the Navigator is present irrespective of the wind or seas. It's noticable in port, when achored offshore, or while cruising.

It's about 1-2 degrees to starboard.

Next time you see her or are aboard, you can't miss it. If the ship is tied up at the pier (and it doesn't matter whether she's tied up on the starboard or port side) just look at the water line on the stern, and see the difference.

lauderdale cruiser:

If that is the case, it clearly is not normal. All I know is that a couple of years back when we cruised her, there was no problem with listing. But things can surely go wrong in a couple of years. Seems to be the case here.

Thanks,

Richard

My first time on cruise critic.This will be our third cruise,first was the orient line to Turkey and greece which we loved.Next cruise was celebrity galaxy suite to the caribbean which was very nice to.The third cruise was supposed to be the Raddison Diamond Suite out of Peurto Rico Feb. 05. We got bumped in nov. 04 from the cruise and were offered other dates which did not work out.What a hassle since the airline was booked seperate ,but it all worked out.Jan. 05 was not a good year that i got brain cancer and also lung cancer.Its been a long year but my wife and i are on the raddison navigator feb.14th to the 21st. first time.Tell us any thing we should know about.We booked a car on St. Barts through RSSC.and also booked a car on St. Marteen from a friend there.Last,i hear you can make a reservation for the portofino restaurant online.help Thanks rando

Rando, what a year you've had. I hope you enjoy every succulent moment on your cruise, you (above all others that I can currently think of) deserve a whopping good time!!! By the way, I'm on that cruise as well, we may run into each other.

You can book Portofino's on the 14th, on board. The host generally sets up a table and takes reservations for the entire week, on that day (usually around 5:00 p.m. on the first day). When you get on board, just ask when the reservations desk will be open. There will not be a huge line up (for that or anything else on board), just get there early so you dine there on your chosen day.

When you're driving around St. Bart's, make sure you spend a bit of time on the public beach (St. Jean's Beach) that is located right at the foot of the runway, at the airport. It is fabulous watching those planes come over the hillside, practically nose dive, land, and come to a stop at the end of the VERY short runway before they hit the public beach and water. Loads of fun, honestly. The pilots have to have a special license to land in St. Bart's, and that's the reason why.

Maybe we'll see you on board!!

Charlene

Earlier in this thread we were talking about a "list" in the Navigator. I found this on line. Read it and find out what a "list" really is. (emphasis mine)

GALVESTON -- As they disembarked from the cruise ship Grand Princess on Saturday following a weeklong trip, passengers described a wild ride when the ship made an emergency turnaround just after the trip began. They said that the ship tipped sharply on its side during an emergency turnaround two hours after the 2,600-passenger Grand Princess left the Port of Galveston on Feb. 4. A passenger who suffered a heart attack had required urgent onshore medical attention. A company spokeswoman said that the passenger was transferred to a waiting Coast Guard cutter. "We just thought we were going overboard," Woney Peters, a resident of Lava Hot Springs, Idaho, told The Galveston County Daily News for today's editions. "The boat just started tipping and tipping and tipping." Peters said that water from the ship's pools spilled into the dinning area as well as some of the staterooms. Earlier in the week, Princess Cruises spokeswoman Karen Tetherow said several passengers and crew members had minor injuries from the turnaround. She also said some items onboard like glassware and china broke.

-- The AP

Archived