Helicopter Ride

twinkle toes

Which island is the best for taking a helicopter ride as far as sights are concerned?

It's the Garden Isle...Kauai.

There are some wonderful things to see on Kauai that call only viewed from a helicopter unless you want to do a lot of hiking. ;)

Being the Garden Isles, it has a lot of rainfall with the summit of Mt Waialeale having the largest recorded yearly rainfall averaging 450".

Edited by Astro Flyer

We did "Wings Over Kuaui" last week for half the price of a helicopter tour and it was awesome. I would definitely look into this. Loved it.

We used them a few years ago and we had a wonderful time. The weather was not good in the morning, but we waited until the storm broke and they gave us a wonderful tour and skirted around the clouds.

Which island is the best for taking a helicopter ride as far as sights are concerned?

Kuaui is unique for many of the best sites must be viewed from air. Also the big Island for Volcanoes is going to be unique!

Having done Kauai I can vouch it is a good experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more with everyone- Kauai is the best island for a Helicopter tour. I used Jack Harter Tours and they flew with the doors removed for an incredible flight experience.

Rich

We used Blue Hawaiian Helicopters and were very pleased. I have never taken an airplane excursion on Kauai so can't really compare the experience, but I often see people compare the prices and go with the cheaper option ( airplane ) for that reason alone. Remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for" is sometimes true.;). I can't imagine an airplane getting into the places we got into by heli, nor did I see any on our tour, although I saw lots of helicopters.

I will go for the cheaper option as well at times if I know the experience and product are identical. But there are times that additional monies buy a superior product. If this one of those bucket list type experiences for you, I would be careful of going for the cheap option.

I have also heard good things about the Jurassic Falls Heli Tour as well and I think they might do a doors off one also. Hope you get to do one, it is an experience you will never forget.

Thanks for that! We are doing this in October and can't wait. It looks like spectacular scenery.

One question, do all tours stop at the falls? I don't recall seeing that in print anywhere.

No

There is only one tour that lands at the falls. It is through the Island Helicopters company and is the Jurassic Falls Landing Tour. The price tag when I was there is $325 if paying in cash which is a little pricier than some of the other tours but IT IS SO WORTH IT! Be sure to set aside at least that amount in cash because they will charge you more if you pay with a credit card. Not only does it do the landing at the falls, it is also significantly longer than the other tours running just shy of 90 minutes. If you do this tour, book early. There are only a few days a week that they do this tour and you will soon realize that the only tours cruise ship passengers can do are 8am, 9:30am, and 11am on Friday (This is 18 people max that will land at the falls on any given cruise).

Hope this helps!

How did you get from the ship to the airport? We are considering the Jurassic Falls tour but their website has no information on transportation or even and "contact us" option.

It is not a long Taxi Ride from Kauai's Cruise Port to the Helicopter port. (which is NOT at the Airport)

Rich

How did you get from the ship to the airport? We are considering the Jurassic Falls tour but their website has no information on transportation or even and "contact us" option.

I looked at the website. ( Island Helicopters ). Along the top there are things to click on, Directions being one option. Their FAQS tab was interesting, giving info on why a Heli is preferred over a plane and why they do not offer "doors off". Under directions you are given a map and turn by turn. Directions are "to the airport". It seems very straightforward and easy. And the airport area is 5 min from the dock. I would assume from this that transportation is not offered, so a car or taxi might be needed. But I would call them and ask. (They don't have a "contact us" button for email?). The 800 #s are on the website. Don't forget the time difference.

Blue Hawaiian did offer pick up at the ship. I don't recall if this was advertised or if I just asked. I recall there is another company that someone reported walking to the shopping area not far from the ship, signing in at the office there, and then being shuttled to the heliport at the airport. Not sure what company.

Edited by punkincc

We just flew with Blue Hawaiian. We booked it directly with them and saved about $100 than if we had booked the ships tour. They sent a van that picked us up just outside the gate at the dock. Then they picked up the people that booked thru the ship inside the gate at the dock. We all rode together the 3 miles to the helicopters. W all had the same tour and then we all were shuttled back to the ship.They also offer military discount. It was a great tour and we would do it again.