Freedom of the seas specialty dining

Hstans

We will be going on the oct 19 sailing , and we need input on which restaurant should we pick,Chops

or Portofino.does anyone have menus for these two restaurants

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Portofino's menu is old and uninspiring, thus it's going away while in dry dock this winter. Chops is fantastic - best steak you'll have anywhere. Enjoy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Didn't know that she still has Portofino. Will she get GT during dry dock?

I'd bet on it. Every ship with a Portofino that's gone into dry dock has lost the Portofino and gained a Giovanni's.

We will be sailing in December and were wondering if the Portofino wine dinner series was a good choice.

We would do it again in a heartbeat! The food was superb, the wines were excellent, and the service was second to none. There were four couples attending and we were each seated at two-up tables next to each other. The GF doesn't eat red meat so they substituted the seafood skewer for the beef dish. I went down and spoke with them about this in advance. The seafood skewer is out of this world both in quality and presentation.

One downside: it was so much food that we didn't have room for dessert. We practically crawled back to our cabin and laid down for a while with a major case of food coma ;)

Just got off Freedom and REALLY didn't think chops was as good as I remembered it. Wished we would have done Portifino instead. It's crazy. We thought the MDR was a step down but Windjammer was excellent! And we are NOT buffet people in general....

We did Portofinos twice last cruise since our friends who were on leg 2 of a B2B said they had a horrid experience in Chops with the new menu and strange dishes (not big enough to cut a large chop).

Portofinos was excellent and would do it again! Our MDR experience was excellent both in food and service thanks to Havva :) Also,kudos for the Windjammer.

Just got off Freedom and REALLY didn't think chops was as good as I remembered it. Wished we would have done Portifino instead. It's crazy. We thought the MDR was a step down but Windjammer was excellent! And we are NOT buffet people in general....

Wow!! I agree with this post in its entirety!

We sailed on FOS last month. We also thought Chops wasn't as good as we remembered. And I don't mean changes to the menu either; the service, the flow of the meal, something was definitely off. The meal was fine, but lacking. Later in the week we were leaving the WJ after having dinner, and witnessed a couple dressed to the nines practically storming out of Chops with their waiter chasing after them. Heard the man tell her their reason for leaving was that "the service stinks!"

The next week we dined in Portofino and were blown away by the wonderful food and exceptional service. Made us sad to think that on all of our RC cruises we've always opted to dine in Chops, and had never been to Portofino. I had a filet there that was much better than the one I had in Chops, and the desserts were better too.

Same with the WJ. Not buffet people, but had dinner there one night, and then kept on going. Really enjoyed it in the evenings, a totally different atmosphere. Food and service there were both very good.

Yes!:)

Im so glad to hear this :) If traditional dining is still in place and she is on board in April, I will ask to be seated in her section :) We are scheduled for early seating but of course there is that rumor that DD is coming.