Use United States issued credit card in heathrow tube machine

Hi,

Has anyone from united states recently purchased oyster card from heathrow tube machine? Is pin needed?

I have setup a pin for my credit card, but how can I test it?

If I use an ATM in tube machine, does the UK bank charge me a fee, if so, how much? I know my bank won't.

Does the heathrow tube machine take notes?

Thanks,

April

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/ways-to-pay

This might help a little. If you want to get a visitor oyster card, you have to do that in advance. It'll be mailed to you. Super easy to use it once you're at LHR. Or, if you don't have time to wait for it to be mailed to you, you can go to LHR's Terminals 2 & 3 at the Underground station and get an oyster card that way.

I think you can also set up an account with a credit card online before you leave if the above ways don't work for you.

Thanks for the reply. I plan to buy oyster card at tube station using united states issued credit card. I've setup a pin, but never tested it. There is no way to test it here. Have you used it there?

What account should I setup? Is it for contactless payment? Is it necessary to setup the account before I can use it?

Thanks,

April

I think you can also set up an account with a credit card online before you leave if the above ways don't work for you.

The tfl machines (transport for London the guardian sort of of the Underground) will absolutely take US credit cards. Depending on your bank, it might not ask for the pin (which bank issued your card). Also, don't worry as the windows at Heathrow have people at all times to assist and while you might have to wait on a bit of a queue, it won't be for more than 5 or so minutes. These clerks will also assist you in making sure you are getting the best bang for the buck or actually best bang for the quid (the colloquial term for the pound). There is no worry there.

I do not find the visitor's oyster card particularly attractive. It is far too easy to buy your oyster card at the Heathrow Underground station either via the machines or the help of a clerk.

As far as testing your pin in the USA, you probably can't. You can try to make a purchase at a place like Wal Mart but unless the card was issued by one of three specific very very small credit unions, you will be asked for a signature everywhere in the USA. If you read one of the other threads here, you will understand that you will never be asked for your pin by a pos terminal where a clerk is present and almost surely not by any of the kiosks. But if they don't ask for pins, I have never had my card not work in the UK whether it be a machine or a kiosk type thing. So most importantly, don't worry.

If you read one of the other threads here, you will understand that you will never be asked for your pin by a pos terminal where a clerk is present and almost surely not by any of the kiosks. But if they don't ask for pins, I have never had my card not work in the UK whether it be a machine or a kiosk type thing. So most importantly, don't worry.

Just in case it's one of those 'divided by a common language' things, could you explain what is meant by kiosk in this context - to us in the UK it's a small shop or a telephone box!

OP - I wouldn't worry about setting up an online account for an Oyster if you are visiting. They are to help manage regular use of an Oyster card and enable auto-top up. You can top up at any station.

You can use a contactless debit or credit card instead of an Oyster - your daily journey costs are charged straight to your account, but beware of fees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just in case it's one of those 'divided by a common language' things, could you explain what is meant by kiosk in this context - to us in the UK it's a small shop or a telephone box!

OP - I wouldn't worry about setting up an online account for an Oyster if you are visiting. They are to help manage regular use of an Oyster card and enable auto-top up. You can top up at any station.

You can use a contactless debit or credit card instead of an Oyster - your daily journey costs are charged straight to your account, but beware of fees.

ki·osk

ˈkēˌäsk/

noun

noun: kiosk; plural noun: kiosks

1. a small open-fronted hut or cubicle from which newspapers, refreshments, tickets, etc., are sold.
    synonyms:booth, stand, stall, concession, counter, newsstand; information booth
    "the kiosks along the boardwalk"

• a small structure in a public area used for providing information or displaying advertisements, often incorporating an interactive display screen or screens.

• British
      a telephone booth.
      noun: telephone kiosk; plural noun: telephone kiosks

• archaic

I am well aware of the dictionary meanings of kiosk, thank you. I asked what you meant in context because I thought it might be helpful. I guess you don't agree....

I didn't think there was a difference in the use of the term; nor was I trying to be snappy about it. To me, any place where there is some sort of automated method of purchasing or acquiring cash, that's a kiosk. I guess as opposed to free standing. Sorry if you mis-interpreted my intention. I really wasn't trying to be obnoxious. My apologies.

Just to sort out the contentious "kiosk" question... I was at EWR earlier today and noticed that the United Airlines free-standing self-check-in machines are referred to as kiosks.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/kiosks/

And a quick online search also reveals that this is what IBM (who invented the thing) calls them as well:

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/selfservicekiosk/

So in American English--or at least, in the language of certain American corporations--the word has morphed somewhat from its standard dictionary meaning into a term that also applies to any electronic ticket machine, atm, or public computer terminal that enables the user to complete a variety of transactions.

To get back to the OP's question: My experience comports with that of Matha531. I have never experienced any problems using my U.S.-issued Capital One chip & sign credit card at ticket machines (kiosks!) in the London Underground, nor anywhere else for that matter, and have never been required to enter a PIN. I can't speak to the efficacy or utility of other credit cards.

I heard that clerks are removed back in 2015, hopefully it's not true.

Most of the ticket offices on the underground were closed, but 10 visitor centres were retained at stations used by many tourists.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/getting-around-london/visitor-centres

For people who have contactless cards the simplest and cheapest way to travel is to use that.

The cost is the same or cheaper than an Oyster card or a paper Travelcard.

Same rules as Oyster -

- One card per person

- You must touch in and out on the underground or DLR, you only need to touch in on a bus

For people who have contactless cards the simplest and cheapest way to travel is to use that.

None of my credit cards are contactless. Never even seen one. I don't think they are widely issued by US banks. I do have Apple Pay. Was wondering if that would work.

Not come across apple pay in the UK at all. What is it and how does it work?

Visa and MasterCard are the main UK cards not Amex which is not as widely accepted. Contactless is now the way for most transactions up to £30.

Apple Pay is contactless using an iPhone or Apple Watch.

Yes, that will work fine, as will Android Pay.

Same rules as Oyster, so everyone will need Apple Pay on their phone (i.e. you cannot use one phone between you).

Thanks. We both have iPhones. The only question would be is that we would both have to get international cell phone roaming added if we go that route.

Thanks. We both have iPhones. The only question would be is that we would both have to get international cell phone roaming added if we go that route.

Does Apple Pay require a signal to make a payment?

It would seem odd if it did as many places you would want to use it would have no signal, including the underground ticket halls.

Does Apple Pay require a signal to make a payment?

It would seem odd if it did as many places you would want to use it would have no signal, including the underground ticket halls.

Thank you for asking that. I just learned something new by googling that question. It does not. It can even be in Airplane Mode. The phone and watch have an NFC chip like the cards have. We are all set. Woohoo!

Edited by Charles4515