Transportation to Cruise Port

khank

We are a group of 14 people sailing on the Anthem of the Seas Saturday, September 23. Most of us will be flying into Newark, and one group will be driving. I'm looking for a hotel for our group for Friday, September 22. We do not plan to go into NYC and since most of us will not have transportation, I'm thinking it would be best to stay near the mall where we can walk to food, etc. Considering the Country Inns & Suites as they appear to have the best rate. I know they have a paid shuttle to the cruise port; however, I've read that it can be a long wait for the shuttle as so many use it. Should we use just Uber or taxi, or is there another transport service recommended to get us to the port? Also, what would be the best means to get from the port to the airport after the cruise on Thursday, September 28? Thanks for the advice!

Karen

We are a group of 14 people sailing on the Anthem of the Seas Saturday, September 23. Most of us will be flying into Newark, and one group will be driving. I'm looking for a hotel for our group for Friday, September 22. We do not plan to go into NYC and since most of us will not have transportation, I'm thinking it would be best to stay near the mall where we can walk to food, etc. Considering the Country Inns & Suites as they appear to have the best rate. I know they have a paid shuttle to the cruise port; however, I've read that it can be a long wait for the shuttle as so many use it. Should we use just Uber or taxi, or is there another transport service recommended to get us to the port? Also, what would be the best means to get from the port to the airport after the cruise on Thursday, September 28? Thanks for the advice!

Karen

That's a lot of people. Contact these folks to see what they could offer you. This is more of a no frills service.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com

Country Inns would be a good choice for such a large group because as you pointed out, the Jersey Gardens Mall area offers food, shopping, and movies. If you have any folks with more than 4 people, you might want to call the hotel to see what they can offer you that isn't available online. I once got upgraded to a mini suite that had three queen beds - one in the entry way room and 2 in the back room.

We're sailing on Vision leaving Sept 7. I can get Crowne Plaza or HI Express with points. Both are by the airport and do not offer any shuttle to the cruise port. Has anyone used UBER from the airport area to the cruise port and, if so, approximate charge?

Have stayed at Country Inn & Suites before. Great location. :)

That's a lot of people. Contact these folks to see what they could offer you. This is more of a no frills service.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com

Country Inns would be a good choice for such a large group because as you pointed out, the Jersey Gardens Mall area offers food, shopping, and movies. If you have any folks with more than 4 people, you might want to call the hotel to see what they can offer you that isn't available online. I once got upgraded to a mini suite that had three queen beds - one in the entry way room and 2 in the back room.

Thanks 138east! You are a wealth of information in this area. I will contact the independent driver. If we decided to break up into groups and Uber or take a cab, do you have an idea of the cost? 5 in our group will be in the car parking at the port most likely; therefore, we are down to 9 needing transportation.

Thanks 138east! You are a wealth of information in this area. I will contact the independent driver. If we decided to break up into groups and Uber or take a cab, do you have an idea of the cost? 5 in our group will be in the car parking at the port most likely; therefore, we are down to 9 needing transportation.

Unfortunately, I'm not an Uber person. You could expect to pay $55-65 per cab and it is unlikely that two cabs could do 9 people. Independent driver should be able to offer you two vehicles if they don't have one that will do nine people. The time I used them we had 8-9 people in a van. Don't forget to specify how much luggage you will have.

I always advocate for Uber over a cab for numerous reasons. While I don't have info or experience on your port, if the above poster says a taxi costs $55 per cab, then you would be looking at probably around $25-$30 for an Uber.

I have just received a quote for $90 each way from inde.drvr@gmail.com for our party of six adults.

This is for a Sunday pick up from Holiday Inn - Newark Airport to Cape Liberty with a return trip to Newark Airport after the cruise. They also indicated they could accommodate us (and our cruise luggage, lol) in the same vehicle.

I'm not going to trash Independent Driver, but they were not at the terminal to take me to the airport after my cruise even with a reservation. I did wait over an hour and after numerous calls got a return call. Then had to travel with another large group of people who weren't going to the airport.

This information about Independent Driver concerns me as our flight is at 12:15pm from Newark Airport. We really need a reliable company to transport us in a timely manner.

I was concerned about this as it took them several days to reply to my initial quote inquiry. I sent a second email asking about the type of vehicle they provide and am still waiting for a response.

Seems our best bet for a speedy pick up and trip straight to Newark Airport would be to have them get us a cab at Cape Liberty. Maybe not the most economical but less expensive than missing the flight!

I probably shouldn't have said anything. The first leg of the trip--from the hotel to the port--was wonderful. I don't know what happened on the return. Everyone is entitled to a mistake. If he is not there you will have plenty of opportunity to call a cab, which is what I should have done 15 minutes after I expected him.

• 1 month later...

This past October when we exited the terminal, we walked to the end of the building (Zone 10) where the shuttles and taxi's were located. As the shuttles filled up, they left. They were nothing fancy. The price was $20 pp.

The taxi quoted us around $75 plus tolls or $98 including tolls for 4 people.

This past October when we exited the terminal, we walked to the end of the building (Zone 10) where the shuttles and taxi's were located. As the shuttles filled up, they left. They were nothing fancy. The price was $20 pp.

The taxi quoted us around $75 plus tolls or $98 including tolls for 4 people.

This boils down to $20/pp for the shuttle vs. $24.5/pp for a taxi. If the you have allot of luggage the shuttle is the choice. If not the taxi should be faster.