Another Anchorage Hotel Question / Discounts

sea_u_onboard

I know lots of people have asked questions about hotels in Anchorage but I want to get specific.

We will be flying in a few days early and will have a rental car – so we don’t have to worry about selecting a hotel based on whether they have a shuttle - or - close to the airport – or – close to the train station.

Initially – before we added the extra days – I looked at the Comfort Inn because it had the airport shuttle, was close to the railroad, had good reviews, was reasonably priced and suited our needs. Now our options are more open.

Of course I want to save money – BUT – I don’t want to be sleeping with critters that aren’t helping pay the tab – if I could keep it under $150.00 a night I would be happy.

I’m not comfortable with Priceline but would like to hear comments from people who have actually used it for Anchorage. How did you search? What star rating? How was the hotel? What time of year did you go? How much did you pay? How far ahead did you search your search?

I know there are other ways to get good deals. We qualify for military discount but sometimes a hotel will actually charge more for a government rate. Anyone find a nice hotel using a military discount?

We don’t qualify for any other discounts (AAA, Travel clubs) – that I’m aware of. There is a section in the Entertainment book that has discounted hotels. Anyone ever use them?

If this is for NEXT summer...I reserved the Springhill Suites in Midtown Anchorage for mid-June at a AAA rate of $89 on a weekday and $75 on a weekend. I'm sure those rates won't be around long. The regular rate was only a few dollars more.

Now that I'm looking at the Marriott site again, only the Fairfield Inn shows any availability for the dates I already have reserved next June. It is reasonable on the weekend ($79) and expensive on weekdays ($179).

It is for 2007.

I don't have AAA but decided to go out and check for military rates at the Springhill location. It won't process my request. What days did you book?

I booked Wed. June 13th and Sat. June 16th at Springhill Suites. I couldn't get Springhill to show up at all just now - only Fairfirld Inn. Those rates are $179 regular rate/$129 gov't rate on June 13, and $79 weekend rate/$129 gov't rate on June 16. Odd that now only the Fairfield Inn is showing up as available so far in advance.

You may want to determine what your Anchorage touring priority is and locate near there?? The Springhill, is in a busy commercial area, not the best if you want downtown activities. A car is definately necessary here.

Anyone know anything about the Fairfield?

Location won't be an issue since we will have the car - at least I hope not. In looking at the map of Anchorage it doesn't look like it will be difficult to get around with a car.

We are only spending a couple days there and then it's on to Seward for a couple days. I'm hoping to get an early flight into Anchorage (around 3) on June 30th so we will have most of the day Saturday and all Sunday - leaving on Monday (the 2nd) for Seward. I have already reserved the Seward Military Resort for Monday and Tuesday night - since this is a busy time for them. It sounds like they have really great activites for the 4th - can't wait.

Most of our time in Anchorage will be touring local things. I am going to check out the Glacier Hike through MICA Guides. It looks like it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Anchorage.

So - like I said - I would like something reasonable - does not need to be 4 star.

Anyone know anything about the Fairfield?

Location won't be an issue since we will have the car - at least I hope not. In looking at the map of Anchorage it doesn't look like it will be difficult to get around with a car.

We are only spending a couple days there and then it's on to Seward for a couple days. I'm hoping to get an early flight into Anchorage (around 3) on June 30th so we will have most of the day Saturday and all Sunday - leaving on Monday (the 2nd) for Seward. I have already reserved the Seward Military Resort for Monday and Tuesday night - since this is a busy time for them. It sounds like they have really great activites for the 4th - can't wait.

Most of our time in Anchorage will be touring local things. I am going to check out the Glacier Hike through MICA Guides. It looks like it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Anchorage.

So - like I said - I would like something reasonable - does not need to be 4 star.

Just because you have a car doesn't mean that "location won't be an issue". I wouldn't stay in a industrial neighborhood, miles away from restaurants, shops and museums JUST because I have a car. As BQ suggested, you should decide what your priorities in Anchorage are first and try to be near them if possible. Your visit will be much more pleasant if you are near things like shops and places to eat (regardless of whether you have a car or not).

Sounds logical. We are looking at doing the touristy type things.

Saturday we plan to run to WalMart and the military base to pick up things we plan to use during the trip.

Other things planned -

Alaska Native Heritage Center

Alaska Aviation Heritage Center

Alaska Museum of Natural History

Elmendorf Museum

Maybe ........

Alaska Experience Theater

Ship Creek Salmon Overlook

Sunday looking at doing things outside town - and anything we couldn't get in on Saturday.

Thunderbird Falls

Eagle River Nature Center

Matanuska Glacier

We could do something Monday morning before we head to Seward.

Is this TOO much to plan for 2 days? What is the best area to stay to take advantage of our time? Would be nice if the hotel room had a fridge to keep our goodies in. We plan to take a lunch on Sunday.

Sounds logical. We are looking at doing the touristy type things.

Saturday we plan to run to WalMart and the military base to pick up things we plan to use during the trip.

Other things planned -

Alaska Native Heritage Center

Alaska Aviation Heritage Center

Alaska Museum of Natural History

Elmendorf Museum

Maybe ........

Alaska Experience Theater

Ship Creek Salmon Overlook

Sunday looking at doing things outside town - and anything we couldn't get in on Saturday.

Thunderbird Falls

Eagle River Nature Center

Matanuska Glacier

We could do something Monday morning before we head to Seward.

Is this TOO much to plan for 2 days? What is the best area to stay to take advantage of our time? Would be nice if the hotel room had a fridge to keep our goodies in. We plan to take a lunch on Sunday.

Yes it is too much. You aren't going until next year??? Forget about the firm plans now. :)

And I'll throw another weekend event in there, that I like and it's the Saturday/Sunday market that's on 3rd between C and E. If you go to Elmendorf through the Boniface gate where the Commissary/BX is then you could come out the Government Hill gate and go right by the Market.

Fairfield Inn is basically in our Midtown area. But just down the street is the Alaska Wildberry place, Sourdough Mining Company, Peanut Farm, Arctic Roadrunner (best burgers in town) and the other way my favorite pizza place in town - Guidos.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

After looking through what I have planned for Anchorage I THINK I may have gone a little overboard. :eek: I do want to have dinner with my cousin one night (who lives in Anchorage).

I don't have our plans firm for Seward yet and may find that we may spend Monday night in Anchorage also. We plan to spend a good portion of the day in Seward on the 4th before heading to Whittier (maybe catching the 4:30 Portage Glacier Tour). So I may not need Monday and Tuesday for Seward. We do want to do Exit Glacier, the Sealife Center and one of the shorter floating tours.

I don't think it's too early to book a hotel for next year. At least you know you'll have a roof over your head and you can always cancel a night if you're plans change. We booked the Homewood Suites and every month, I'd check to see if prices went down and sure enough they did and we got the lower price. BTW Homewood Suites on Tripadvisor.com is rated #3. You can read more about them on the Hilton.com site. They offer a free breakfast, have air conditioning and even have windows that open. They have a 24 hour shuttle that will take you into town and also pick you up at the airport... great for us because we arrive at 10:30 pm. Was going to rent a car at the airport but we're renting the next morning downtown (cheaper than at the airport). The hotel told us they would drop us off at Avis the next morning. Now that's service!

Sandy

When I just need a roof, a bed and clean facilities, I go with Motel 6, and Anchorage has one ($119) pretty near the airport. That is way more than lower 48 Motel 6 prices, but all lodging in the summer in Alaska is expensive. I am booked in there in a couple weeks at the beginning of my Alaska vacation/cruise.

Hey, you'll be in Alaska. How much time are you going to spend in your room contemplating the paint by numbers picture over your bed at a pricier joint?

Many hotels will only let you book a maximum of 330 days before arrival. That is why you might not be able to see all the hotels that might have availability. Check again in early August.

One thought to consider - you might want to forego the Portage Glacier boat tour (but stop for the visitor center/film/display) and take a Prince William Sound tour at 1.30pm from Whittier that lasts 4 hours. You can leave your luggage with Princess before the cruise then check in and get on the cruise ship after your day cruise. Friends of mine who were not on the cruise ship took this and loved it. They get really close to the glaciers (compared with the large cruise ships). And if you get the Toursaver book, you can get a 2-for-1 price.

Regarding priceline in Anchorage, it would be wise to book a cancellable backup like one of the hotels mentioned above as you try to bid on priceline. The problems with priceline in Anchorage are as follows:

a) all of Anchorage is only one zone on priceline. So you could end up anywhere from the Ramada on Muldoon road on the east to anywhere near the airport on the west or anywhere in between. Just a huge zone.

b) I tried priceline for this summer but it is difficult. Hotels only give priceline rooms that they can not sell at their normal rates. From May to September most hotels in Anchorage have no problem filling up their rooms at regular rates. Plus, most hotels in Anchorage for the summer have to be cancelled a month or two before arrival or you are subject to a cancellation fee. Most priceline deals come out a few weeks before arrival, making priceline not very useful in these cases. Priceline in Anchorage is excellent for the winter months, but in my experience not very good for the summer months.

I stayed at the Ramada on Muldoon for a night between Denali and my cruise. For me it was ideal since it had a self-serve laundry and free high-speed internet, two high priorities for me at the time. But it is in the very NE corner of Anchorage. It was close to a couple of larger stores but is not very convenient to touristy things, which at the time was not my objective.

John

The least expensive hotel in the Hilton family for my dates next June is the Hampton Inn in Anchorage, and that is $197.10 AAA rate. I'll stick with my Springhill Suites reservation at $89 - which is actually a back-up for the Hilton Anchorage - which I reserved online for $46 for the Romance Package! That was obviously an error - since it now shows up at $350.95/night!! So in case the Hilton chooses to not honor their erroneous internet rate - and they have every right to do so - I have a fairly inexpensive back-up.

Cheryl - looks like our plans will be very similar!

We also plan to fly into Anchorage on 6/30, then on to Seward on 7/2. I've booked the Fairfield that you are discussing (after seeing this), I figure that's a great rate and I'd like to get things booked even if we end up having to change them later.

I'm also hoping to book the Seward Military Resort, I haven't called yet (I'm also not sure what DH's military status will be at the time we travel since he's on med hold now and MEB process has started). I guess I'll look into booking a back up in case we aren't eligible.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one obsessively pre-planning really early!

See you on the Spirit 7/4/07!

Cheryl - looks like our plans will be very similar!

We also plan to fly into Anchorage on 6/30, then on to Seward on 7/2. I've booked the Fairfield that you are discussing (after seeing this), I figure that's a great rate and I'd like to get things booked even if we end up having to change them later.

I'm also hoping to book the Seward Military Resort, I haven't called yet (I'm also not sure what DH's military status will be at the time we travel since he's on med hold now and MEB process has started). I guess I'll look into booking a back up in case we aren't eligible.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one obsessively pre-planning really early!

See you on the Spirit 7/4/07!

Wow! Great minds think alike. I'm thinking of booking the Fairfield. I may book more then one and decide later and cancel the one I don't want. After reading about Priceline I think I will forego that route. I agree that it is JUST a hotel room - but I like to relax after a long day of adventure and enjoy being in a nice room.

As far as the Seward Resort - CALL NOW - even though you don't know his status - just explain to them. It is my understanding that they book quickly for this holiday. Better safe then sorry. I actually booked exactly 365 days out (the soonest you can book). They are 3 hours behind CST - I would try to call tonight if possible.

I'm going to go book the Fairfield now.

Hope to see you on the roll call. Have you signed up for my yahoo group?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have our plans firm for Seward yet and may find that we may spend Monday night in Anchorage also. We plan to spend a good portion of the day in Seward on the 4th before heading to Whittier (maybe catching the 4:30 Portage Glacier Tour). So I may not need Monday and Tuesday for Seward. We do want to do Exit Glacier, the Sealife Center and one of the shorter floating tours.

If you are short on time, I never recommend the bay tours out of Seward, you need at least 6 hours on the water. Perhaps that can add some time elsewhere?

We were very happy with the Comfort Inn Ship Creek. We were there June 10-12, 2006 and the regular rates for the room we had (non-smoking 2 queen beds) was $184 per night. NO unwelcome critters, either. LOL With our AAA discount, it was $143 per night. They did have a refridgerator, microwave, air, windows that open, alarm clock, ironing board/iron, hair dryer, and ceiling fan. Free breakfast also, and fresh cookies around lunch. Wherever you decide to stay, you will enjoy Alaska. Oh, the hotel is directly next to the Ship Creek where you can watch people salmon fishing in the creek by the dam. You could walk up the hill to go to the weekend outdoor market, that was nice. We VERY much enjoyed eating at the Sourdough Mining Co. GREAT food and the price was reasonable especially for all the food you get!!!!! Maybe that is where you can meet your cousin. I would personally not recommend the Alaska Zoo, but for me that is probably because I live in Michigan and we have a great zoo (Detroit Zoo) that is huge in comparison, and they have their animals in very little areas. It is nice to go for a walk in and is nice, but I am just used to a much larger zoo. It is great that you found this site so early on. I found it 1-2 weeks before I left, so I was not able to get a lot of advise. We also did not book a hotel before going. We (I should say my boyfriend) wanted to see what there was to see once arriving in Anchorage and then book something. There was a Salmon Derby going on the weekend we were there, so we were VERY lucky to find someplace with a vacancy. I told him we needed to book it last year, but I was very happy with the outcome. Once there and seeing everything, I loved our location. We just walked up the hill and saw everything. We did rent a car for the last day and go to the Sourdough, zoo, and Walmart before heading to the airport at night. We took a "shuttle" (it was the owners personal truck) to Talkeetka for a few hours. That was nice to see a quaint little town (unknown to us, it is the town they based Northern Exposure from) and try to see Mt. McKinley. If we had our own car, we would have gone further and done the Glacier tour you are thinking about doing. I was sad that I missed that. Once again, if my boyfriend would have listened to me about the rental car, we would have been able to do it. They were all booked for the weekend. Oh well, we made the best of it, and as stated........whatever you do, you will LOVE it!!!!! Enjoy.

I have heard LOTS of good things about the Comfort Inn and I have a room held there also (added an extra day since there seems to be more planned then time).

I did notice on some of the websites it stated that if you changed the reservation that you MAY have to pay the current (sometimes higher) rate so I booked the 2 days we had planned and then did a new reservation for the one day.

Now I just have to remember to cancel the rooms we don't use (have Fairfield booked also).

Last July I had the opportunity to take advantage of my sons business trip to Anchorage. I tagged along with a free hotel at the Hampton Inn for three full days. Once my son flew out of Anchorage my wife flew in and we were on our own for hotels. This is what I did. For our first night in Anchorage the hotel was on me. I place a bid on Priceline and got the Sheraton for a price of $116. Nice hotel in downtown Anchorage. Disadvantage was the fact that there was not Hotel van service. We took the people mover in front of the Hotel for a price of $2.00. That got us to H and 4th which was about 6 blocks from the hotel. No big deal we hoofed it. (Note the Sheraton was within walking distance of the Confort Inn). The next three nights were at the Hampton. This location is at Midtown with many resturants and places to shop. There was a shuttle service from the airport to this location including the Fairfield Inn. The shuttle service did cost but it wasn't much...maybe $5.00. The Hampton had a complimentary breakfast and had a indoor swimming pool. I think the price was around $180 a night. The night my wife flew in we stay at the Fairfield Inn. This hotel is near the Hampton and I did notice there was a Hotel 6 next door the Hampton. Both of the Hotels appear to be new. The next two nights the wife and I spent at the Sheraton from winning bids on Priceline. I would have to pick the Sheraton as the better of the three Hotels we stayed at. Next would have been the Fairfield Inn. There was excellent customer service at the Fairfield but this place was packed. The Hampton was alright but I just thought the Fairfiedl Inn and Sheraton were above the cut. Tim

Beware of the Fairfield Inn

After a long flight from the deep south, we stayed @ the Fairfield Inn in Anchorage. After walking down the road to dinner we walked back and were ready for some sleep. I went to close the curtains, because it doesn't get dark until the wee hours of the morning, and low and behold--there were FAKE curtains covering up the very ends of the window with sheers that covered the window. Just 2 fake curtains that could not be drawn over the sheers. Can you believe it?? I ended up using a hair clip to pull them as close together as I could, which was not very close.

Beware of the Fairfield Inn

After a long flight from the deep south, we stayed @ the Fairfield Inn in Anchorage. After walking down the road to dinner we walked back and were ready for some sleep. I went to close the curtains, because it doesn't get dark until the wee hours of the morning, and low and behold--there were FAKE curtains covering up the very ends of the window with sheers that covered the window. Just 2 fake curtains that could not be drawn over the sheers. Can you believe it?? I ended up using a hair clip to pull them as close together as I could, which was not very close.

Hmmm....nope, I don't believe it - especially in Anchorage. There should've been some sort of room darkening curtain that was between the "curtains" on the end and the sheers. Did you call the front desk about it? I've never been in a hotel without some sort of curtain that could be closed, and I doubt that Fairfield Inn was the first to be like that.

Archived