Specialty Coffee

johnnyd

Sometimes the terms Specialty Coffee & Premium Coffees are confused.

Premium Coffees are the varieties served at Cafe al Bacio (Espresso based) for which there is an up charge (covered by Bevvy Pkgs)

Specialty Coffees is a "bar term" and refers to Coffees with Alcohol (ie Irish Coffee = Irish Whiskey). These are also available at Cafe al Bacio (little known fact they have a full bar), as well as a few other locations on the Ship such as the Dining Rooms / Specialty Restaurants.. But no guarantees that the ones served outside of Cafe al Bacio will be made with Premium Coffee.

Specialty Coffees are not covered by all Bevvy Pkgs... A lot depends on what alcohol is included in the drink. Some find a creative way around this issue by ordering the Coffee & Liqueur separately and combining them on their own. For more info on what is and isn't included, it is recommended that one ask the Server directly... As he / she will be making the determination / computer entry.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Premium Coffees are the varieties served at Cafe al Bacio (Espresso based) for which there is an up charge (covered by Bevvy Pkgs)

Specialty Coffees is a "bar term" and refers to Coffees with Alcohol (ie Irish Coffee = Irish Whiskey). These are also available at Cafe al Bacio (little known fact they have a full bar), as well as a few other locations on the Ship such as the Dining Rooms / Specialty Restaurants.. But no guarantees that the ones served outside of Cafe al Bacio will be made with Premium Coffee.

Specialty Coffees are not covered by all Bevvy Pkgs...

I'm confused now. The Celebrity website says that "specialty" coffees are included in the beverage packages. I don't see any mention of Cafe al Bacio Premium coffees in the beverage package descriptions and thought that they were not included.

I've seen you post with great info many times and I hate to follow up, but your post conflicts with the X website. I don't know what the answer is, so I am asking for clarification. Am I reading your post wrong?

(FYI- I have the Premium alcohol package)

Thanks in advance!

I'm confused now. The Celebrity website says that "specialty" coffees are included in the beverage packages. I don't see any mention of Cafe al Bacio Premium coffees in the beverage package descriptions and thought that they were not included.

I've seen you post with great info many times and I hate to follow up, but your post conflicts with the X website. I don't know what the answer is, so I am asking for clarification. Am I reading your post wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Just my 2 cents but "the Sloopster" actually is way more reliable than is the X website (there are many threads re the website)-- I as well are on the Summit but not until mid November and I would generally go with what the "Sloopster" posts over all else--

Just sayin (even though the Sloopster may be a misguided Canadian) !!

Specialty Coffees are not covered by all Bevvy Pkgs... A lot depends on what alcohol is included in the drink. Some find a creative way around this issue by ordering the Coffee & Liqueur separately and combining them on their own. For more info on what is and isn't included, it is recommended that one ask the Server directly... As he / she will be making the determination / computer entry.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thanks in advance!

Maybe this will help.... all I have done is gone to the Celebrity website and copied/pasted from the description of the Classic non-alcohol package:

"In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees and teas, and non-premium bottled water."

And here is the description from the Premium non-alcohol package:

"Enjoy nearly our entire selection of sodas selections on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca-Cola, premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, specialty coffees and teas, non-alcoholic frozen drinks and smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and specialty waters from Vitamin Water."

I quoted the reply your question pertains to as I also think that Sloop did not mean to define "specialty coffee" the way he did.

I believe that Cafe al Bacio provides non-expresso based coffee available for sale to the passengers (this would be the "premium coffee") referenced in the Classic non-alcohol package.

The expresso based coffee drinks would be the "specialty coffee" offerings covered in the Premium non-alcohol package.

However, if you happen to like alcoholic coffee drinks, and have the Premium alcohol package, then you get the best of both worlds and get your favorite specialty coffee drink that carries a "punch" of alcohol such as Baileys, Creme de Menthe, and other popular cordials.

Specialty Coffees are not covered by all Bevvy Pkgs... A lot depends on what alcohol is included in the drink. Some find a creative way around this issue by ordering the Coffee & Liqueur separately and combining them on their own. For more info on what is and isn't included, it is recommended that one ask the Server directly ...

In Cafe al Bacio they have a number of coffee drinks with alcohol - Aspen Coffee, Kingston Coffee, etc. - they are all priced (or were in February :confused:) at $7 and were included in the Classic drink package.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

I stand by what I wrote in so much as Specialty Coffee is a true Bar Term, for Coffee Drinks with alcohol in them.

Celebrity's website, has issues in some cases where it contradicts itself with poor wording (this is a long standing one). They use the terms Specialty & Premium interchangeably when it comes to Coffee... Often incorrectly.

I also stated in my closing paragraph that experience on board can differ from bar to bar, and even bartender to bartender... And what they figure is a two-fisted / double drink on the Bevvy Pkgs (Coffee & Liqueur)

As well, Celebrity has a history of changing its mind on this Drink Category... Or more often, the classifications of the various Spirits & Liqueurs that go into such Specialty Coffee Drinks

So it truly is a case unfortunately, of buyer beware... You should always ask.

Sorry, cannot give any better advice.

Cheers!

Ps... Additionally we found that often times the requested Specialty Coffee came either in 2 glasses (one with Coffee & one with Alcohol)... And / or naked... Getting an all dressed Specialty Coffee with a sugar rim & whip cream was rare.

As always we've found that cultivating a friendship with a bartender yields the best results.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks in advance!

We had the Premium pkg on the Reflection last Nov and every thing in Cafe al Bacio was covered. Matter of a fact, everything, everywhere was covered. Ok, we did have a final bill of $28 cause I went thru the craft beer selections and we did do a martini flight or three!:rolleyes:

We had the Premium pkg on the Reflection last Nov and every thing in Cafe al Bacio was covered. Matter of a fact, everything, everywhere was covered. Ok, we did have a final bill of $28 cause I went thru the craft beer selections and we did do a martini flight or three!:rolleyes:

We too have always had the Premium Alcohol Pkgs ... And rarely been charged for any extras... Never for Specialty Coffees (by all accounts those who run into issues have the Classic Pkg)

We've even been lucky enough to get some "supposed extras" on the Pkg. Including Beers in a Bucket - Martini Flight etc. And the occasional single item that should have had an upcharge / difference billed... Including a couple of very fancy glasses of Champagne, and a Craft Beer or two

We do attribute this to making friends with some Bartenders by becoming their "regulars" during our cruise and taking a real interest in them as people... (lol, Like yourself, Mr Sloop did very much like the Craft Beers on our last cruise in the revamped Michaels Club Beer Bar on The Summit... he's a little worried on how things might be different on The Connie for our next cruise... But I know he will be able to adjust... We always manage to find some spot that just naturally feels right to us)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Celebrity has used the term "Specialty Coffee" to mean many different things causing confusion as to what this is over the years. If you ask Celebrity the answer will vary quite a bit depending on who you ask. At one time they even posted an FAQ on their website which, quite illogically, indicated that a specialty coffee included in the non-alcoholic package was a coffee with liqueur! Obviously that didn't go very far on the ships and they retracted the FAQ a short time later.

I investigated this on two cruises a while back as it relates to the differences between the classic package which includes "premium coffee" and the premium package which included "specialty coffees". The results of the responses I got were inconsistent as well! Here is a link to the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39322013#post39322013

I presume the OP is referring to espresso based coffees including lattes, cappuccino, and other similar coffees. These are generally available someplace in, or near, the buffet. They may also be available at other venues around the ship - for example they are included as an amenity from suite butlers and I know there is an espresso machine at the Rendezvous bar (or there was at one time as it's been a while since I was on Summit). They are also available in the various dining rooms although quality and speed of service is sometimes reported as poor in the MDR.

But the best selection and the best preparation of these coffees will, without a doubt, be from the Café al Bacio coffee bar.

Edited by Lsimon

We just purchased the Premium package for the 1st time for our upcoming cruise on the Equinox. I understood that virtually all alcohol by the glass is included(within certain price limits). Are craft beers and martini flights not? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just purchased the Premium package for the 1st time for our upcoming cruise on the Equinox. I understood that virtually all alcohol by the glass is included(within certain price limits). Are craft beers and martini flights not? Thanks.

Ummm no. You have indeed been misinformed.

Particular Alcohols (Beers, Wines, Spirits & Cordials / Liqueurs) fall on one list or the other... Classic or Premium... Or beyond the scope of either.

I suggest you see this official post from the CELEBRITY CRUSES Rep that outlines what is included in which Bevvy Pkg (Official Lists as of the end of May 2014):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048745

The Classic Pkg covers the basics when it comes to Namebrand Spirits, Beers (mostly Domesticxs & a few Imports) and Wines (again a very basic list)

Premium Pkgs includes a wider selection of Premium Spirits, Beers & Wines

Availability of any / all depends on many things... Including the Cruise Itinerary (where in the world you are) and also the Ship... As some Ships till have Michael's Club outfitted as a Beer & Sports Bar

As for maximums...

Info is noted on the top of each list and for each category (Beer - Wine - Spirits - and Cocktails)

It was our experience on The Summit in 2013 with a Michael's venue that there were indeed some Craft Beers & Imports that were priced above & beyond the Premium Pkg (just like for the Wine Connosieur there are wines onboard in some venues with wines outside of the Bevvy Pkgs)

Martins, the subject of this post are contraversial... In they are often covered depending on what their ingredients are or the quantity of alcohol within them.

Specialty items that are more than one drink... Such as a Bucket of Beer or a Flght of Drinks often are not covered by a Bevvy Pkg. Best to ask. Although as I've said previously your experience may differ... A lot depends on the relationship you cultivate with a Bartender (just like on land... Not unheard of for a Bartender to give a Customer a break... Or buy them a drink)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Everything up to the $13 price point is covered. The Martini flights we were doing were $16, we covered $3. The craft beer menu has a few over the $13, hence I had to cover the spread. Still I may not have them open the 22oz Rogue Chocolate Stout @ $35 since I can get it in Dallas for $14. But will try a 500ml Fullers Vintage Ale 2011 from England at $16.50 and pay the $3.50 difference. I can't wait to try the stock in the GastroBar on the Equinox. Oh, did I mention, in 68 days!

Edited by wallie5446

We just purchased the Premium package for the 1st time for our upcoming cruise on the Equinox. I understood that virtually all alcohol by the glass is included(within certain price limits). Are craft beers and martini flights not? Thanks....

Your understanding is pretty accurate and correct for the most part. Virtually all drinks served by the glass are included up to the price limits mentioned. The drinks for the most part have to be individual drinks for one person. Drinks served by the glass over the price limit can be obtained on the premium package by paying the difference in price over the limit.

Craft beers are included and most of then do fall under the price limit. Martinis are all included as well. As for Martini Flights: I've read of cases where these have not been included at, all because they include six smaller martinis rather than one drink, and other cases where they've been available by paying the price difference so I guess it depends on the bar staff on board. This does make sense as many people tend to share these due to the quantity. Of course you can have the same tasting by ordering one martini at a time and going through all 6 - that is if you can make it through.

Similar to the issue of the Martini Flight there are other cases where beverages are sold as part of an offering which includes more than a single beverage. I'll call these gray areas as they generally are not included but I think I've heard of a couple rare reports of exceptions. Examples are buckets of beer, carafes of wine, wine tastings, whisky tastings, and dinners in the specialty restaurants that include wine pairings in the price.

Edited by Lsimon

Megan01,

Debbie, this is just for you! 6 of the smaller Martini's in the flight I got, ( truth be known, that size was more than enough ) where my cost diff was the $3. You will be fine, go and enjoy!

image.jpg.9f223a65bfa2e67975622efad30eaad2.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

Thanks everyone for your clarification. As we've not purchased a bevy pkg before, having only had the included classic pkg last cruise, I wasn't sure about some of what's included. Your comments are certainly helpful. If paying the difference only in the price of a drink that exceeds the upper limit on premium is what's required, that's fine. I particularly wanted to be able to use the pkg to try Gastropub drinks, martinis and specialty coffees that I may not otherwise have purchased without the package. We are on the Equinox which seems to have a lot of venues so this pkg should work well! I agree making friends with a bartender or 2 doesn't hurt either!

Not to get too far off the specialty coffee topic, but to add to the above comments about items over/under the premium package price limit: There's a recent thread on the craft beers where someone posted a recent menu: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43981883&postcount=21

This showed that about 30 of the 40 beers listed were within the premium package price limit.

But as Sloop-JohnB pointed out the availability of these overall varies from ship to ship. But in response to Megan01's question, the post above is from an Equinox sailing which is the ship you indicated you'll be sailing.

Edited by Lsimon

• 2 weeks later...

We've had the Classic Non-alcoholic package three times and the espresso based drinks, including vanilla lattes (and presumably other lattes with a flavour shot), were covered at the Cafe al Bacio with this package. My experience would seem to indicate that the these espresso based drinks (including flavour shots) are not "specialty coffee".

We didn't order any espresso based drinks with alcohol but as others have indicated; this would seem to be the "specialty coffee" that is included in the Premium Non-alcoholic package.