Questions about sign language interpreting?

welovedis

We will be cruising with RCCL on Explorer of the Seas on 2/16/14. I've contacted the Access Staff at the cruise line to inform them of my husband's hearing issues. He was born profoundly deaf but has never used sign language as his primary means of communication. He has always worn hearing aids and learned to lip read extremely well at a young age. Now he has bilateral cochlear implants but does still rely heavily on lip-reading and some interpreting for things like church services, concerts, etc..

RCCL said they would supply interpreters for any deaf guests on board so he will be able to utilize them for shows, etc.. I'm curious if there is special seating that we would need to be aware of ahead of time if we attend the nightly shows/acts? Do guests sign up for specific things they need interpreters for---like for a certain activity? I'm a planner & knowing these things ahead of time will help us to be better prepared.

Has anyone utilized on onboard interpreter & asked if they could mouth the words they are signing? The interpreters locally know my hubby & automatically do this but I know he asks when it is someone he doesn't know. If they can, he appreciates it but if they can't he understands that as well.

Wondering if anyone has any experiences to share...thanks!

I've noticed ASL interpreters standing in front of the stage at the stage-right position. That would mean you'll be sitting in the seats on that side of the theater. BTW, stage-right is the right side of the stage as if you were standing on it looking out at the audience.

• 3 months later...

We've reserved an interpreter for an upcoming RC cruise. My bf is deaf and sounds very similar to your husband in terms of how he communicates. We have received NO info. about how the interpreter situation will work. As far as I know, reservations for entertainment are not required on this cruise, so I don't know how they will know when we are at the show. From what I've heard, they always hire two terps per cruise…. I'll be happy to let you know how this works out after we get back, BUT you'll have to remind me!!!! (Would love to know if you find out any additional info. as well!)

Kristen

• 2 weeks later...

I am deaf and have used interpreters on cruises many times. once you board, the interpreters (you will get 2 of them) may contact you at your cabin and introduce themselves. if not, you can go to the guest services desk and ask them to call the interpreters for you. once you meet the interpreters, you can plan with them when you will need their services. for the shows the cruise line will reserve the first row or two for you and the interpreter will be there in front of the stage. It may be on either side of the stage, andmay change during some shows depending on how close the dancers need to get or if pyro is used, etc. if your husband knows some interpreters that he is comfortable with, you might be able to request them for your cruise. Carnival lsts me pick my own interpreters every time.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are profoundly deaf as well. We have our 2nd RCCL cruise the 1st of April in Puerto Rico. We had interpreters the 1st cruise. We met, and they was VERY FLEXIBLE with us. We requested they interpret any shows (any time(s) of the day) and they also sat with us in the Main Dining Room so that we could converse with other folks. As far as excursions go: if you bought ship sponsored excursions the interpreters will go with you if you request it. We didn't. The interpreters were a man and a lady.

If you didn't know, you can call RCCL and request a ADA room kit (door knock flasher, deaf alarm clock...etc etc) and they'll give it to you. We did bad we requested it again for our forthcoming cruise. The interpreters we had was a lot of fun.

Take a load off and go have fun!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to ask for "oral transliteration" as the type of accessibility support. RCCL will assign two trained transliterators who will expertly "mouth" and gesture everything they hear. You may want to also research this further to see if this would be beneficial. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I just realized I never followed up on this post. We had two terps and they were awesome! They made themselves available anytime they were needed but also were really respectful as far as when interpreting was not needed. They were not the attention seeking, "everyone look at me doing sign language" type. We personally requested them for our next trip! Of course there are no guarantees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by iamkristen

This is a great post! I lost my hearing in the blink of an eye, with no warning, a year and a half ago. I have two cochlear implants and love them! I am so amazed by this technology! Anyhow, I've read this thread with great interest, as being deaf is still very new to me and I just don't know what is out there! I do not know sign language (I was unable to hear anything for three months before I got my 1st CI), but am still somewhat dependant on lipreading.

We are sailing on Carnival Miracle for 15 nights to Hawaii in December. This is my first cruise since my hearing loss. I wonder if they will reserve seats closer to the front for my husband and I during shows?

And I didn't even KNOW that there was such a thing as a door knock flasher! This would be a great thing for me to have for mornings when my husband may be in the shower and we've ordered room service, or some similar situation where I may not be wearing my processors...

Taters

Hi Taters

I have a cochlear implant too and absolutely love it. However I still need to see someone's face to understand what they are saying. I'm really interested in the answer to your question. Never sailed on Carnival but on Princess I have asked several times about reserved seating up front and always the answer is no. The excuse is that "everyone would want it too". In our case it's not a want but a necessity. I would love to see some captioning for the movies they show in the theaters but they say No to that too because other people would complain.

Most ships do have listening systems in the theaters and show lounges so you can ask for a receiver and hope that it's compatible with your inplants. These can deliver the sound straight to your "bionic ears".

Please speak up about what you need because it helps the rest of us who also need some hearing help.

Hi Taters

I have a cochlear implant too and absolutely love it. However I still need to see someone's face to understand what they are saying. I'm really interested in the answer to your question. Never sailed on Carnival but on Princess I have asked several times about reserved seating up front and always the answer is no. The excuse is that "everyone would want it too". In our case it's not a want but a necessity. I would love to see some captioning for the movies they show in the theaters but they say No to that too because other people would complain.

Most ships do have listening systems in the theaters and show lounges so you can ask for a receiver and hope that it's compatible with your inplants. These can deliver the sound straight to your "bionic ears".

Please speak up about what you need because it helps the rest of us who also need some hearing help.

Hi whiterose:

We found the cruise we like just a few days ago and are actually going to book it tomorrow when we are both at home instead of at work. LOL I used to be the one who booked the cruises, but since my hearing loss, I am not that good on the phone and require my husband's assistance when someone speaks too quickly. I am going to make up a list of things to ask about, as this will be my first time cruising being hearing impaired. I will ask about the captioning and a door knock flasher.

My audi recommeded that I purchase a neck loop system, and recommended the Quatro, which I noticed an ad for in the most recent edition of the HLAA magazine. I think I'll go ahead and order that, too. It may help during shows. I love good comedy and hate only getting 60%! Martin Short performed here in Fairbanks last October and the audience was roaring in laughter, and yeah - I only got 60%!

There are some advantages to being deaf, and sleeping uninterrupted by sounds in the hallway is one of them.

Life is a new adventure for me with the new state of my ears, and things I took for granted are now so very precious! I am so happy that this technology was available to me, and am looking forward, more than ever, to hearing that ship's horn blow as we depart Long Beach...

Edited by Taters

My wife and I are profoundly deaf as well. We have our 2nd RCCL cruise the 1st of April in Puerto Rico. We had interpreters the 1st cruise. We met, and they was VERY FLEXIBLE with us. We requested they interpret any shows (any time(s) of the day) and they also sat with us in the Main Dining Room so that we could converse with other folks. As far as excursions go: if you bought ship sponsored excursions the interpreters will go with you if you request it. We didn't. The interpreters were a man and a lady.

If you didn't know, you can call RCCL and request a ADA room kit (door knock flasher, deaf alarm clock...etc etc) and they'll give it to you. We did bad we requested it again for our forthcoming cruise. The interpreters we had was a lot of fun.

Take a load off and go have fun!! :)

I am looking for a deaf husband & I wife I "met":rolleyes: on April 5th Jewel out of San Juan....would that be you? If so, let me first apologize that 1) I never got your names! :eek: 2) My little bit of Signing was so rusty! (It is true, if you do not use it, you forget!!! :o 3) We are moving and I am considering a career change. I would like to get input on an adult learning sign language. Thanks!

If not, the couple that I met, sorry but so glad that you have a positive cruising experience!:D

• 1 month later...

I have never asked for this. My son is fluent in ASL but refuses to sign with anyone outside of family. When he was young he would try, but since the majority of people he encountered could not sign, he quit trying. He often will not even look at people who do try to engage him by signing. I do not know if an interpreter would add to his enjoyment of the trip or not. I usually sign to him if we are watching a show or he is perfectly content just watching and not "hearing". Sometimes he even tells me to stop signing. Sorry if this is off-topic a bit, but is he really missing out if I do not give him exposure to an interpreter? I am pretty sure he can read lips because he responds even when he is not wearing his hearing aids.

Hi Sherry08

This is a tricky question. I would think an interpreter would be very helpful and could really make a difference for your son. Does he use interpreters at work or when he goes to lectures or the theater or other events?

Guess the final decision is up to him.

He is only going to be seven, he has other disabilities as well and was born with only 30% hearing in some frequencies. He is always with family or an aide who helps him.

Hi,

I am the Service Coordinator and Lead Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program in a public school district. From my experience in Deaf Education, I can tell you that this is not uncommon. Actually, we usually see this more a little later, around age 9-10 when they realize that they are "different" and often don't want the attention of using sign language.

Given that he is so young, it's really your choice as to whether or not he needs an interpreter. (Around age 14-15, we really start strongly taking the child's preferences into consideration.) If he is fluent in ASL, my suggestion is definitely to request an interpreter. He is entitled to it, and there's no harm if he doesn't use it the whole time (or much at all). The Deaf Community is changing, and we see many Deaf people using an interpreter for "backup." This is completely normal and appropriate! Besides, if you request an interpreter, they will be placed so that he can see the show and the signing at the same time (as opposed to having to look away to see you signing).

I say go for it! Let me know if there's anything I can help with!

Kristen

ASL is a wonderful language and I wish that I was fluent. I became deaf in middle age so it was hard to learn then. However I do work for a Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people so I get to meet a lot of people with hearing loss. Interpreters won't work for me so at home I request CART Computer Assisted Realtime Captioning. That probably would not work on a cruise because it needs special equipment.

If your son is not comfortable signing in public he might not be happy having an interpreter(s) just for him and you might feel that it was wrong to ask the ship for such an expensive accommodation and then not use it. You could try something at home like a children's library program with an interpreter and see if your son enjoys it.

Thank you Kristen, we are not going to ask for interpretation at this time, but may when he is older. My first exposure to ASL was many years ago helping with the deaf blind community and they do not see signing, but feel it.

Thank you Kristen, we are not going to ask for interpretation at this time, but may when he is older. My first exposure to ASL was many years ago helping with the deaf blind community and they do not see signing, but feel it.

That's a good plan to have! I have a little experience with the DeafBlind Community, but not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I had two an interpreters on Freedom of the Seas as both from different place. They didn't know that we are from UK, as our sign languages are slight different as we used BSL...However, we enjoyed it as we used ASL with Disney Cruise too.

For you that who had C.I. were you born hearing? or anyone profoundly deaf worn C.I?

My hearing is going down lot and C.I. offered me and I still not sure about it.

My daughter was born with profoundly deaf and have no hearing at all. She had C.I. when she was 2 half and she said it was best ever. She thank us for giving her opportunity and she pick up lot and talking clear too.

I still not sure about myself for C.I.

Scottishwee35

That's a tough question about whether to get a CI. I was born hearing and started to go deaf as a teenager. Lost almost all my hearing by 45 and got the implant when I was 59. I love it and it helps me a lot though I still rely on speechreading, captioning for the TV, captioned phone etc.

I've met a couple of people who were born deaf and got a CI quite late in life. They got something out of it but to be honest I think it's almost impossible to learn to hear well as an adult if you have never had any hearing at all. The young kids do incredibly well because their brains are just soaking up all the information and are flexible enought adjust to something like a CI.

You need to talk to other Deaf adults who got CIs as adults. Good luck whatever you decide.

I born with profoundly deaf and worn my hearing aid all my life... I cannot live without it apart go to bed... Also love music too...

I still not sure about C.I. and the hospital make an appointment that one adult who have C.I. will meet me this month.

Thank for your feedback.

Scottishwee35

I had two an interpreters on Freedom of the Seas as both from different place. They didn't know that we are from UK, as our sign languages are slight different as we used BSL...However, we enjoyed it as we used ASL with Disney Cruise too.

For you that who had C.I. were you born hearing? or anyone profoundly deaf worn C.I?

My hearing is going down lot and C.I. offered me and I still not sure about it.

My daughter was born with profoundly deaf and have no hearing at all. She had C.I. when she was 2 half and she said it was best ever. She thank us for giving her opportunity and she pick up lot and talking clear too.

I still not sure about myself for C.I.

Scottishwee35

Hi Scottishwee35:

I had perfectly good ears, great ears in fact, up until September 20, 2012. I lost my hearing, all of it, in the blink of an eye and for no reason that my doctors could point to. I have 100% hearing loss. I was 49 years old when this happened to me. My life came screeching to a halt. After 6 hours in the emergency room and 4 hours at the ear doctor's office and miserably failing a hearing test, the audiologist gave me and my husband a printout about cochlear implants. I'd never heard of them. I didn't hesitate to jump right in with both feet and try to get my life back.

I flew back and forth from my home in Fairbanks, Alaska to Seattle multiple times for my surgeries, activations and mappings and do indeed have my life back! I went without hearing for 3 months and missed so many things during that time. To be in a world without laughter, music and my children's and loved one's voices was very depressing.

If you qualify for the CI, think of how enriched your world would be. Yes, music and the phone are still hard, but are getting better with time and practice. Multiple voice scenarios (restaurants, meetings) are difficult, too. But - It beats not being able to participate at all in these activities! I am quite pleased with my CIs and have a bright future ahead of me.

Best of luck to you and your family,

Annie

Edited by Taters

• 9 months later...