AMA - Confusion: Captain's Welcome/Captain's Toast and Captain's Farewell dinner

Iamthesea

Going on AMAViola 7 night Romantic Danube next week. I have been reading reviews and trying to figure out what to wear, and when. We like to dress CC casual, and dress slightly nicer for the Captains Dinner's/Formal/Chic Nights that we have on ocean cruise ships. But we do not dress formally anymore.

Could someone tell me if the Captain's Welcome would be the first evening that we are onboard...even being the same night as the OKTOBERFEST?

And when is the Captain's Farewell Dinner held? I have read that it's the last night, the night before last, and even 2 nights before disembarkation. :confused: And isn't this the dinner that's a little dressier? Thank you in advance!

Going on AMAViola 7 night Romantic Danube next week. I have been reading reviews and trying to figure out what to wear, and when. We like to dress CC casual, and dress slightly nicer for the Captains Dinner's/Formal/Chic Nights that we have on ocean cruise ships. But we do not dress formally anymore.

Could someone tell me if the Captain's Welcome would be the first evening that we are onboard...even being the same night as the OKTOBERFEST?

And when is the Captain's Farewell Dinner held? I have read that it's the last night, the night before last, and even 2 nights before disembarkation. :confused: And isn't this the dinner that's a little dressier? Thank you in advance!

We were on the AmaSonata for this same itinerary 2 years ago and, if my memory is correct, the attire for the first night (Oktoberfest and welcome) was casual. Most folks had traveled all day. The Captain's dinner was dressier, but not "formal" as on ocean cruises - maybe a nicer top for women and maybe (not required, I don't think) a jacket for men (no tie necessary).

Have fun! We loved that cruise and leave in 2 weeks for Paris to Normandy on the AmaLyra.

Allyson

The Captain's Farewell Dinner is really about saluting every staff and crew member. It is not a formal, or even 'dressier' affair for the passengers.

In our case, I think it was just the perception of the "Captain's dinner" that caused folks to dress differently. Also we sat with the captain, so we dolled up a little :D

And the booklet that we received even says "bring smart casual clothes and something a little dressier to wear to the Captain's Dinner or out to a concert." I have also read (seen videos) to dress nicer at the Chef's Table.

So dress aside... Is the Captain's Welcome the first night onboard?

Captain's Farewell or Captain's Dinner...when? And are they the same event?

Have fun! We loved that cruise and leave in 2 weeks for Paris to Normandy on the AmaLyra.

Allyson

Thanks! You too. We leave Thursday for Paris, then on to Prague and Vilshofen. Went to Normandy in May of 2016. ;)

And the booklet that we received even says "bring smart casual clothes and something a little dressier to wear to the Captain's Dinner or out to a concert." I have also read (seen videos) to dress nicer at the Chef's Table.

So dress aside... Is the Captain's Welcome the first night onboard?

Captain's Farewell or Captain's Dinner...when? And are they the same event?

Thanks! You too. We leave Thursday for Paris, then on to Prague and Vilshofen. Went to Normandy in May of 2016. ;)

The welcome dinner is not hosted my the captain, as I recall, but I could be wrong. There is a welcome reception with safety information before dinner on the first evening. Then dinner. I just read my journal from our previous trips. The Captain's dinner was the night before the last night on our first cruise. On the last one, we ate at the Chef's Table that night, so I am guessing it was that night.

If you look at your itinerary it will show Private Oktoberfest and Welcome Dinner the first night. There is no mention of any special dinner at the end of the cruise; it could happen before the illumination cruise of Budapest, or it doesn't really happen.

LOL - I am getting just as conflicting info on this thread.:D I will just plan to go prepared! :)

The welcome dinner is not hosted my the captain, as I recall, but I could be wrong. There is a welcome reception with safety information before dinner on the first evening. Then dinner. I just read my journal from our previous trips. The Captain's dinner was the night before the last night on our first cruise. On the last one, we ate at the Chef's Table that night, so I am guessing it was that night.

I am shooting for the night before the last day, too!

In at least one of the reviews that I read, and on a video, it clearly stated "Captain's Welcome." Maybe it's just a welcome by the CD. Or maybe it is a "welcome" by the Captain at the beginning of this dinner (that the booklet says to dress for) that may or may not happen. Who knows!

If you look at your itinerary it will show Private Oktoberfest and Welcome Dinner the first night. There is no mention of any special dinner at the end of the cruise; it could happen before the illumination cruise of Budapest, or it doesn't really happen.

My itinerary booklet makes no mention of a Welcome Dinner. Only Oktoberfest. ;)

Thanks all!

LOL - I am getting just as conflicting info on this thread.:D I will just plan to go prepared! :)

In at least one of the reviews that I read, and on a video, it clearly stated "Captain's Welcome." Maybe it's just a welcome by the CD. Or maybe it is a "welcome" by the Captain at the beginning of this dinner (that the booklet says to dress for) that may or may not happen. Who knows!

Thanks all!

Don't worry about it....it's all good!

Thanks all!

I checked the website.

By the way, I wouldn't worry. A nice top for you and a button-up for your husband would probably not be out of place. River cruises are quite casual.

On our AMA cruise, the Captain's Welcome was not a dinner. As we entered the lounge before dinner, each lady was handed a rose by the captain and all guests were offered a glass of champagne. Do not recall if this was the first or second night. No sorcial dress required.

On our AMA cruise, the Captain's Welcome was not a dinner. As we entered the lounge before dinner, each lady was handed a rose by the captain and all guests were offered a glass of champagne. Do not recall if this was the first or second night. No sorcial dress required.

You are correct. The "welcome" and "dinner" are two different functions according to the reviews I have read. I heard about the rose "ceremony" that first night.:*

It's later in the week, when supposedly there is a Captains Dinner. Just saw mention of it on Facebook, too. Again, I am not worried about the dress. I just wanted to know when it was held. ;)

Agreed. It was a welcome reception, then dinner was held. Champagne and roses!

We sailed Prima Jun 1 and there was a Captains Welcome dinner the first night, after the Reception where we were all greeted with a drink. Then we sailed up the Danube to view the Parliament Building etc before returning to the dock where we stayed overnight. The most wonderful thing was, they allowed our son and his family to join us for that dinner.

We ate at the Chef's Table twice and we were told we could eat there every night if we wanted. The only things is, it is the same menu so you wouldn't want to do that. It did not seem to be well booked on our cruise.

People dressed nicely on our cruise but not formally by any means.