Experiences with food allergies?

JenInMD

This will be my first time cruising since being diagnosed with multiple food allergies & intolerances. I understand that RC is supposed to be very accommodating, but I'm curious to hear about others' experiences. I have already emailed the company, as recommended, and they sent me an email that they forwarded my information to the ship. For those of who who have travelled already, have your experiences been positive? I'm very nervous. Thanks for your feedback!

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will flag your account. Every time I ate in any of the dining rooms/restaurants I was asked about it. They were very concerned about making sure I was taken care of. The waiter in the main dining room will also usually ask you if you would like to see the menu for the next night to plan ahead. The buffet doesn't have things labeled very well, but there are always people around to ask. They are more than helpful in finding out what is in stuff.

One night while passing by the cafe I saw a wonderful looking piece of chocolate cake. It was labeled German chocolate. I hate coconut, so I asked about it because I didn't see any coconut on it. I was told there was no coconut in it. I walked away and headed back to my balcony to enjoy it while watching us leave port. The poor guy who had given it to me came running up behind me. He had found out there was coconut in it and was terrified that I would eat it. He must have chased me through half of the ship! Coconut is not one of the things I'm allergic to, but the point is that I find Royal much more accommodating than the majority of restaurants I've been to.

Edited by YoJo19

My son is allergic to fish and nuts. When we cruised rccl in 2009 he was also allergic to eggs. They were very accommodating. I called ahead for our cruise in December and I hope they are just as accommodating again for our sons food allergies. I always carry an epi pen and Benadryl.

My BFF is allergic to garlic of all things (I guess she has adverse reactions rather than hives etc from an allergy). She becomes deathly ill if she has more than a tiny bit. And you'd be surprise how almost EVERYTHING On the menu has garlic. THey'd make her dinner in the MDR that had NO garlic. Usually it was plain chicken, fish or beef w/ a side of veggies. When she made some reference that could she have a veggie other than broccoli, they said they'd make her something special and she got a Stir Fry w/ shrimp that was better than anything we'd eaten all week.

If anything they bent over backwards and went overboard accommodating her. To the point that she'd not even mentioning it on our next cruise, and instead will deal with it meal by meal. So I wouldn't worry too much.

PS: My boyfriend is allergic to peanuts (but oddly not peanut oil) and the same thing. They bent over backwards, bringing the next days menu to him so he could pre-select things. He found it almost embarrassing (he embarrasses easily). Now he refuses to mention it and just chooses wisely.

I don't know what your allergies are but I would do my homework and be diligent about knowing all ingredients. For instance, if you are gluten intollerant, some products ships serve have gluten, but you would not know that by just assuming or even asking (i.e. some french fries are coated in flour to make them more crispy; soy sauce has gluten in it).

I always ask the head chef in the buffet what is available for me for that particular meal. If something is not made fresh on the ship I ask for the ingredients on the packaging to be checked, just in case (some soups and salad dressings could be made with packaged ingredients).

Don't assume, and you should be fine. They want you to be happy and healthy.

Prior to the cruise contact special needs at special_needs@rccl.com ( note the underscore between special and needs).

Once on board make contact with your Headwaiter. We have found that this is the key person in the MDR that will make things happen. My DW has a dairy allergy. The kitchens idea of dairy free was simply to omit all the sauces. The Headwaiter had then prepare dairy free sauces for the entrees.

At the buffet make sure you are speaking to a chef regarding the ingredients contained in a dish and not one of the servers.

When dining at a specialty restaurant we always visit during the day and confirm that they know about dietary requirements.

While for the most part we have found RCI to be very good with the food allergies you do have to be your own advocate.

Thank you all so much for your feedback & helping to put my mind at ease. I actually did already email the special needs address, & was very impressed with how quickly they responded. They pretty much advised against ever eating at the buffet, but I'm guessing that is more a liability issue on their part, as it sounds like many of you have been able to navigate the buffet with the help of the chef.

I love the idea about being able to select meals the night before, as this will really make me feel more in control of what's being prepared.

We've also planned for shorter excursions so we can be on the ship for our meals. I just don't feel comfortable eating at so many places on islands where they might not fully understand &/or be able to safely accommodate.

How about on Labadee? Have you found that you could eat there? Or did you go back on the ship for lunch?

For me, it depends on the waiter. One waiter made me pre-order each dinner ahead of time. Others will only mention the allergy if you pick the wrong thing.

The waiter that made me pre-order everything did mention cross contamination because they didn't wash their utensils between one serving and the next. He specifically mentioned the ice cream scoop.

They also pull, "the chef made something especially for you card." Which they pick an item they know is safe. Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

I am only allergic to pecans and walnuts. So it's usually a matter of asking before ordering.

For our most recent cruises, I have typed up a list left it with the waiter the first night. I include things like no uncooked meat, no pecans or walnuts. Getting served last every night rarely rates a top score, sorry.

I also have one for the cabin steward.

Regarding the buffet, on port days, I think that's all they leave open for lunch.

You should be careful. I know someone whose eyes burn if she's near the trigger food.

Consider Epi-Pens.

Also, do a search for food allergy cards in foreign languages, so you can present it to you waiter.

Edited by knittinggirl

As others have said, you are your best advocate when it comes to your food allergies. That is why I always keep EpiPens and Benadryl on me. If you even think something is off, don't touch it.

But, you should be fine in the buffet. They always say to only eat in the MDR, but I have found everyone in every dining venue on the ship to be more than helpful in determining what is in items for me.

Something else I do all of the time (which may come in handy for when you are off the ship) is to keep a stash of prepackaged and nonperishable food items on me just in case. You know they're safe, and they work wonders in a pinch.

Edited by YoJo19

Something else I do all of the time (which may come in handy for when you are off the ship) is to keep a stash of prepackaged and nonperishable food items on me just in case. You know they're safe, and they work wonders in a pinch.

Great idea. Thanks! Is there a limit to what we can bring on?

This will be our first RCI cruise. Our daughter is anaphylactic to peanuts.

Our plan is to eat in the MDR as much as possible. I don't like taking my daughter to buffets, especially if they are self serve. It's far too risky. However, I believe I read on these forums that the chefs at the buffet will prepare something fresh for you if you have allergies.

Basically, you have to discuss your options with the Maitre D and head waiter. That includes for Coco Cay (or Labadee in your case) and the specialty restaurants. That's where RCI specials needs has redirected all of my questions.

We also bring some pre-packaged snack foods, like crackers and granola bars, for our port excursions. Not the best lunch for our daughter, but that's the unfortunate reality of having a food allergy.

So, I heard back from RCCL after sending the email. They were very helpful & seem like they'll be more than accommodating. They even sent me sample menus for all meals (as I had requested) so that I can work with my dietitian on figuring out what to order & how to make modifications to allow me both to enjoy and stay healthy. I'm definitely still nervous as this will be my first travel experience where I don't have my own food/kitchen to prepare everything. But, in feeling a bit more encouraged after all of your (& their) responses. Thanks!

I have a seafood allergy. The waiters were more than accommodating telling me what I could and couldn't eat. I ate in buffet only once. I was to afraid to eat there again, too may seafood dishes I was worried about cross contamination. We are cursing again in February I am not worrying about it, but will have my Epi Pen & Benadryl on hand in case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be my first time cruising since being diagnosed with multiple food allergies & intolerances. I understand that RC is supposed to be very accommodating, but I'm curious to hear about others' experiences. I have already emailed the company, as recommended, and they sent me an email that they forwarded my information to the ship. For those of who who have travelled already, have your experiences been positive? I'm very nervous. Thanks for your feedback!

Jen

Having a Nut allergy, I understand your concerns. I've been told in addition to the email you have sent, that you let the Head Waiter know upon embarkation.. They do your plates separate from the main line. Hope this helps and hope you have a great cruise..

We met someone on our cruise this Fall that has many food problems. She brings a lot of her foods with her too she said and also had a chef assigned to her. She would call ahead when coming for dinner and he would then prepare it. They discussed her menu ahead of time I gather.

So, it can work but you have to be proactive too I think. Because she has so many problems they had to be on top of it at all times. They have been cruising for a long time as they make Pinnacle next year, so have fun and hope it goes really well for you!!:)

We met someone on our cruise this Fall that has many food problems. She brings a lot of her foods with her too she said and also had a chef assigned to her. She would call ahead when coming for dinner and he would then prepare it. They discussed her menu ahead of time I gather.

So, it can work but you have to be proactive too I think. Because she has so many problems they had to be on top of it at all times. They have been cruising for a long time as they make Pinnacle next year, so have fun and hope it goes really well for you!!:)

Wow...having a chef assigned sounds amazing! That would make me feel so much better, knowing that 1 person really 'gets' my needs! We're signed up for MTD, as there weren't options for either seating. I'm hoping I can talk them into seating us with the same server every night so I don't have to explain myself every time we go to eat.

The dining room staff have the patience of Jobe. If you have special dietary needs they will make a special dish fir you. My friend would pre order her dinner for the next day at the end of each meal. The dining room staff certainly go the extra mile.

Wow...having a chef assigned sounds amazing! That would make me feel so much better, knowing that 1 person really 'gets' my needs! We're signed up for MTD, as there weren't options for either seating. I'm hoping I can talk them into seating us with the same server every night so I don't have to explain myself every time we go to eat.

I think they ate in the WJ. She does have some special food needs and it seemed to work out well. Her allergies are more than the average, so hence having one person over seeing her food is best- if they can do so....

Good luck!! They will try hard I know, so just write it all down and communicate, so you will enjoy the cruise.

I have food sensitivities and am OK watching the menu and eliminating some stuff on it as I go. The new DD menu isn't looking too good so far, hope they still keep an alternative of plainer foods.

I think they ate in the WJ. She does have some special food needs and it seemed to work out well. Her allergies are more than the average, so hence having one person over seeing her food is best- if they can do so....

Good luck!! They will try hard I know, so just write it all down and communicate, so you will enjoy the cruise.

I have food sensitivities and am OK watching the menu and eliminating some stuff on it as I go. The new DD menu isn't looking too good so far, hope they still keep an alternative of plainer foods.

Really? WJ? The email I received from RCCL said to avoid the WJ due to cross contamination issues. I'm glad to hear she had a good experience there! I have a lot of allergies & intolerances (gluten, dairy, eggs, pepper, garlic/onion...just to name a few 😉) so I'm afraid I'm going to be one of their problem-children. I hate feeling like I have to be so high-maintenance!.

Good experience here, too. I agree that different people react different ways to my peanut and tree nut allergies. I don't love pre-ordering, but I'll let specialty restaurants with smaller menus (150 Central Park, e.g.) know so they can tailor their menus, if necessary.

The best waiters either know what ingredients are in the dishes or they go check. On a galley tour a while back, they pointed out that they post the ingredients and recipes for the waiters.

Lamb%20Shank.jpg?psid=1

In the Windjammer, they've caught my eye a few times with these allergy cards:

Nuts.jpg?psid=1

On a couple of occasions (spread over several years), I've indeed had a reaction, but on those occasions it's been my lack of diligence in asking about what I'm eating. I don't cruise without an Epi-Pen or three.

Edited by Shabot

Really? WJ? The email I received from RCCL said to avoid the WJ due to cross contamination issues. I'm glad to hear she had a good experience there! I have a lot of allergies & intolerances (gluten, dairy, eggs, pepper, garlic/onion...just to name a few 😉) so I'm afraid I'm going to be one of their problem-children. I hate feeling like I have to be so high-maintenance!.

I believe the Chef in the WJ- prepared her food. Makes sense as he can prepare the separate meal for her there. Not as busy as the MDR kitchen would be!!! She didn't eat the WJ food. That is what I thought they said.......I was not paying a lot of attention at the time.

She avoided Rice & Gluten and has many many food issues I understood. I just remember them calling ahead before going for dinner. Anyway, it did work for them as they cruise a lot.

On a recent cruise we talked to a father of a 13 yr old boy who had SEVERE peanut allergies they tried the MDR and it seemed like the boy had so few choices that he told his dad I can't do this the whole cruise! So they went to the WJ and talked to the chef he took the boy under his wing and made him special food every meal! The dad said his boy ate better than he did! It made their cruise!

I have food intollerances to egg, rice, tomatos, mushroom and seafood. In the WJ I just tend to stick to pasta (they do a nice pasta in a creamy sauce) and a salad or some roast meat and veges.

In the MDR, I speak to the Maitre 'D, Head Waiter and Waiter and pre-order the next night's dinner.