Premier Inn Hackney

My sister and I want to do 2 days pre cruise and looking for a safe and reasonably priced hotel. We came across this new hotel and wanted to know if the 1) is the area safe 2) is it easy to get to tourist sites from this area 3) any suggestion you might have about staying in London pre cruise.

Many Thanks

Some things to think about:

When does your flight arrive?

How will you get from airport to hotel? Ability to haul luggage? Cost?

Where does ship depart from --how will you get there? Cost?

How much time will you actually have to explore --two full days?

What are your priorities of things to see?

All these things add in to the costs of staying in a large city. Sometimes it is best to stay close to where you need to be.

I would not stay in Hackney --it looks to be at the junction of several busy roads. I would be looking at the more centrally located Premier Inns.

We visited London post cruise --no jet lag -- stayed at the Premier Inn near Heathrow, had a hotel-arranged taxi back to the airport, and took the underground in to the city (and back) to visit the British Museum, Covent Garden and the Embankment. Our flight back to the UK was the next day so an easy taxi ride back to Heathrow.

Edited by Alaskanb

Do not stay in Hackney. Not a nice place by day even worse at night. Its far from tourist attractions and if you have only 2 days you will spend more time travelling to the attractions. You can find better hotels elsewhere which are more convenient.

All of London is safe, compared with most cities and, even though Hackney ranks No4 on the serious crime list for London Boroughs, it should not be considered particularly unsafe.

To put that statement into context, the average murder rate over the last ten years in Hackney is less than one per month.

Having said that, I don't think it has much to offer tourists and I wouldn't choose to stay there myself.

Much of the borough is either housing estates or gated communities and I would prefer to pay a little more and stay in Central London.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Hackney used to have an unsavoury reputation, but that has all changed in recent years. Places like Dalston have become very fashionable in the past couple of years. There are excellent transport links into mot parts of London. However, having said that, I would probably choose to stay somewhere more central.

Wherever you stay in London will involve travelling to attractions, but Hackney is in East London near to the City.

Having said that, I don't think it has much to offer tourists and I wouldn't choose to stay there myself.
Hackney used to have an unsavoury reputation, but that has all changed in recent years. Places like Dalston have become very fashionable in the past couple of years. There are excellent transport links into mot parts of London. However, having said that, I would probably choose to stay somewhere more central.
I too would not stay here.

I spent a summer evening in the yard next door to this hotel (the location of Dalston Street Feast), and we then walked through the rest of the area in search of a bar or coffee shop to sit down in. Although there are clearly some arty bits, and we discovered places that we've heard of but never knew were there, it was generally not a nice area and there were certainly some characters hanging around who would unsettle me if I were a tourist.

Thank you everyone. We will not be staying in this area. We will take your advice and look at the hotels in the county hall or Westminster area.

We stayed at the Doubletree Westminster a couple of years ago & it was a great location. Good side - close to many tourist sites. Bad side - little to no close-by shopping or eating. The area around that hotel is really a business district.

Last week we stayed at the Hilton Islington. Good side - loads of shopping, restaurants and things to wander past. Bad side - tube to the attractions.

If we had a couple of days only in London, my preference would definitely be Westminster within walking distance of things we want to see.

JanineM

If you stayed at the Hilton Islington, you certainly didn't need to take the Tube everywhere. It must be one of the best connected places in London, with lots of bus routes from the Angel going in every direction. I don't think you researched the transport possibilities properly.

Please remember that there is much more to London than Westminster. Outside of this area there is a vast choice of interesting places and sights to see - the Tower and St Katharines Dock area and the walk down into Wapping are fascinating. You can walk over cobbled streets and visit old pubs such as the Town of Ramsgate and the Prispect of Whitby. Google history of Wapping and you will find a myriad of interesting places to visit.

The area around the Barbican and the museum of London is fascinating - walk over to Charterhouse Square, visit Smithfield and Hatton Garden - look at Bleeding Heart Tavern etc .this is an area where Dickens based several of his novels such as Oliver Twist.

Visit Southwark and Southwark cathedral - just as interesting as St Paul's and free! This is next to Borough Market, one of the best food markets in the world. Again there are some brilliant river walks.

Please don't think that you have to be in Westminster - it's fine but not really representative of the whole of London. There is so much more outside !