Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

I feel your pain!!!!! I would return from a 8 hour tour feeling like I had a block of cement hanging from my neck all day. Switching from my DSLR to a high end point & shoot was one of the best decisions I have ever made - and my point and shoot photos are terrific.

Once you have decided that a point and shoot provides adequate quality, you might as well go on to a SuperZoom. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 has a Leica lens with 25-600mm at a constant f/2.8. I created a custom setting that limits ASA (I'm old school...) to 100, increases sharpness to +1 and decreases noise reduction to -2 [thanks to Graham Houghton for these settings]. If you enlarge all the way in iPhoto the grain doesn't look too pretty, but for viewing onscreen and even some amount of cropping the picture quality is all I ever need. And being able to zoom all the way to 600mm lets me get pictures that would surely put an SLR user in for back surgery!

We've been very busy this weekend! Not with turkey and guests, but with the important things - travel plans :D

Since we've been on the standard Beijing tours as part of an ocean cruise, we've decided to book with Sunflower Li for the scheduled two days of touring. We have confirmation with Sunflower, and we also have confirmed reservations for BSK on Friday night.

After so many months, it's hard to believe that this trip is finally approaching fast.

We're going to handle our own visas. In 2008, I used a service called Best China Visa (on recommendation found somewhere, probably CC), and they were least expensive, prompt and accurate. We'll be 3 months out in a couple of weeks, and I thought I'd start the process about then. I don't want to be too early on that 90 day entry window, and I also don't want to run up against any Chinese New Year celebrations/closings that might delay things.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

Since you asked about what we were doing on Visas, I'm giving you an update.

BCV (Best China Visa) has increased prices since I did my first check several months ago, and is now no more cost-effective that GenVisa through Viking. We're now going with US China Visa, because they're a bit less expensive for 2 and still offer a one-year Visa. The money difference is only $20, which in the scheme of things is nothing, but I guess it's a character flaw that makes me want to dig around and do it myself.

This is our second trip to China, and we don't think we'll go a third time, so a single-year works for us.

Genvisa also increased their prices recently - $409 for two people. I believe the new Chinese Visas will be good for 10 years.

I wanted to check out what you say about a new duration for the Chinese visa and did not see anything on the Embassy's webpage that corroborates such a change.

Here is a link to the Chinese Embassy to the US Visa Section. Under important notices, you will find the 2015 holiday schedule but no announcement of any changes. There is a map showing which states are served by which consulates if you are planning to get your visa in person. Procedure differs by consulate, so it will be helpful to also read the information under the specific office.

The FAQ section is also very helpful; it helps clarify the information given on the other pages.

Please remember that when it comes to dealing with visas, customs, border crossings, etc. the only authoritative sources for information is the government issuing the rules and regulations. "They told me on Cruise Critic," will get you nowhere.

Try entering "10 year Chinese Visas" in a Google search and you will receive over 20 pages of links detailing the change that took effect November 10th.

Thanks. With that bit of information, I was able to find the notice on the Embassy website:

Important Notice on Long-term Visa Application

2014/11/11

F
rom
N
ovember 11, 2014, the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy accept 10-year
multiple entries visa
application for
tourist(L)
/ business(M)/ short-term vsit to the relatives (Q2)/ private matters(S2) purposes and 5-year multiple entries visa application for study(1) purpose. The requirements are the same as before,
the passport submitted should be valid for at least 1 year.

Please be advised the above arrangement.

Notice that his applies to multi-entry visas. (If you renew your passport during the life of the visa, you will need to carry both your new passport and the old passport with the valid visa for entry into China). This is great news for anyone planning multiple trips to China over the next few years.

I assume that the first entry into China on this new 10 year visa must still take place within 90 days of the issuance of the visa or else the visa becomes invalid, regardless of the 10 yr duration. So, we still have to wait to apply for the visa until 90 days or less before we are due to arrive in China.

This came up on one of the roll calls.

If you are traveling with friends and did not book as one reservation, make sure that Viking has your reservations linked so that they will put you in the same tour group. Unlike other Viking cruises where you choose which bus to board each time you go out, on the China cruise-tours, you are assigned to a group and tour with that group for the entire trip.

One sign that your reservations aren't properly linked is that you are assigned to different hotels.

Call Viking (or have your TA call Viking). It is easier to deal with the problem before you get there.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, one and all!

Wondering...

We are scheduled to stay at the Kerry Beijing hotel. The bank i am with charges $5 per atm transaction when made from an international location.

If we use the Kerry hotel currency exchange and bring american dollars instead of using the atm, what type of rate would we get? Would it be at or close to the current official rate of 6.22*Chinese Yuan per dollar (or would it be substantially lower rate then the official rate). And i realize that's the 6.22 current rate may change and float.. just wonder opinions if we should plan to bring in more cash for our trip and exchange it... or plan instead to use our debit card instead?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forums mobile app

Considering the 13 day Viking Imperial jewels trip. Is it better to start in Bejing or Shanghai? Probably not spending any additional days there.

Thanks

PR

In case you are not aware, One advantage of starting out in Beijing you receive a free hotel extra day as a Forced Overnight night if you use their viking air and if you start in Beijing. Viking does not offer this when you start in Shanghai. Otherwise it mainly depends if you want to do the busy part (Beijing) at the beginning or the end.

Wondering...

We are scheduled to stay at the Kerry Beijing hotel. The bank i am with charges $5 per atm transaction when made from an international location.

If we use the Kerry hotel currency exchange and bring american dollars instead of using the atm, what type of rate would we get? Would it be at or close to the current official rate of 6.22*Chinese Yuan per dollar (or would it be substantially lower rate then the official rate). And i realize that's the 6.22 current rate may change and float.. just wonder opinions if we should plan to bring in more cash for our trip and exchange it... or plan instead to use our debit card instead?

When we were in China last April the currency exchange rate was standard, set by the government. So the question is not what exchange rate your hotel gives, but whether your hotel charges a courtesy fee, or has an exchange machine that has a surcharge. I suggest you write to the hotel concierge with these questions. The hotel I stayed out before meeting up with Viking had no extra charges, so I brought a significant amount of US currency and changed it when I arrived at the hotel.

Considering the 13 day Viking Imperial jewels trip. Is it better to start in Bejing or Shanghai? Probably not spending any additional days there.

If you start in Beijing there is an included tour of the Hutongs there by rickshaw but you only get to see the pandas in Chongqing if you start in Shanghai, but then you don't get the Beijing Hutongs tour.

We were fortunate, we started in Beijing but as our group reached Chonqing earlier than the others we got the panda tour as well.

You can't predict this as it depends on which flights you get and even if one group makes it there early, most will probably not.

Personally we found the Beijing start suited us as we did the more energetic section of the tour first then we could relax for the rest of time.

On a related point, the Hutongs tour in Beijing takes you to the same area as BSK, so if you are going there you will have seen the area at night already, but we still found it interesting to see it by day and to visit inside one of the homes and a food market.

Edited by Mark_T

When we were in China last April the currency exchange rate was standard' date=' set by the government. So the question is not what exchange rate your hotel gives, but whether your hotel charges a courtesy fee, or has an exchange machine that has a surcharge.[/quote']

I'm not sure the hotels are allowed to charge any fees and yes the exchange rates are the same everywhere as it is Government controlled.

Using any form of ATM though does open you up to your own banks charges for foreign transactions.

If you plan to take cash, try to take clean bills in good condition with no damage or writing on them and try to keep them unfolded. Bills that look heavily worn, marked or torn may be politely declined.

With so much time before this trip begins - consider getting a card that does not charge ANY transactions fees at ANY ATM. We have a Capital One card that we use exclusively when we travel - if the card is ever compromised, we could care less - we have NEVER used this specific card anywhere in the US. We have used this same card for the past seven years and have never experienced any problems (we also have never paid a penny in foreign transactions fees). The least expensive way to exchange foreign currency anywhere in the world is with a fee free card.

With so much time before this trip begins - consider getting a card that does not charge ANY transactions fees at ANY ATM. We have a Capital One card that we use exclusively when we travel - if the card is ever compromised, we could care less - we have NEVER used this specific card anywhere in the US. We have used this same card for the past seven years and have never experienced any problems (we also have never paid a penny in foreign transactions fees). The least expensive way to exchange foreign currency anywhere in the world is with a fee free card.

So, this is what confuses me: if I use my CapitalOne credit card to get cash from an ATM, isn't that considered a 'cash advance' and am I not charged a pretty hefty percentage in interest for taking that cash advance and doesn't that interest start accrue from the moment I take the advance?

I've used my CapOne card for travel abroad for years because it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees on purchases but have never used it as an ATM card because I refuse to incur transaction fees or interest. Am I missing something here?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. You need a DEBIT card for the Atm. We use the same DEBIT card exclusively when traveling outside the US. The best place to obtain one is where you already have a deposit relationship (your checking account or your investment firm). Tell them you are looking for a no fee, no foreign exchange charge DEBIT card. Use it anywhere in the world for the lowest currency exchange rate. Fidelity Investments offers a credit card that gives you 2% cash back on 100% of your purchases and a zero fee debit card.

We also have a zero exchange rate CREDIT card that we use exclusively when traveling outside the US.

By having a dedicated DEBIT and dedicated CREDIT card that we only use when traveling outside the US we never worry about our either card being stolen or compromised when we are traveling.

You mentioned that your bank's debit card has foreign fees, and you probably don't want to change your banking relationship just for this trip. But consider having a secondary bank that will give you a fee-free ATM card. Charles Schwab Bank is one that does this, and Schwab is a low-cost brokerage so it's a good firm to have in your banking/investment mix.

[Neither I nor anyone in my family or friends is a Schwab employee -- I'm just a happy customer.]

You mentioned that your bank's debit card has foreign fees, and you probably don't want to change your banking relationship just for this trip. But consider having a secondary bank that will give you a fee-free ATM card. Charles Schwab Bank is one that does this, and Schwab is a low-cost brokerage so it's a good firm to have in your banking/investment mix.

[Neither I nor anyone in my family or friends is a Schwab employee -- I'm just a happy customer.]

Neighborhood banks and credit unions are another source of fee free ATM/debit cards. My bank and credit unions deal with so few foreign transaction in a year that it just isn't worth the cost of trying to collect them. I have a separate account for travel that is not linked to my other accounts and has its own ATM card that can access only that one account. I can't make transfers from account to another online but that's okay with me.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. You need a DEBIT card for the Atm. We use the same DEBIT card exclusively when traveling outside the US. The best place to obtain one is where you already have a deposit relationship (your checking account or your investment firm). Tell them you are looking for a no fee, no foreign exchange charge DEBIT card. Use it anywhere in the world for the lowest currency exchange rate. Fidelity Investments offers a credit card that gives you 2% cash back on 100% of your purchases and a zero fee debit card.

We also have a zero exchange rate CREDIT card that we use exclusively when traveling outside the US.

By having a dedicated DEBIT and dedicated CREDIT card that we only use when traveling outside the US we never worry about our either card being stolen or compromised when we are traveling.

Bob, thanks for the clarification. That makes a lot more sense.

We have just finished our first river cruise on Viking, to be honest I went into this trip a little concerned (in my case particularly) if I could enjoy river cruising as against ocean cruising which we have always enjoyed. Anyway to cut a long story short my wife and I had a fantastic time, and we both can't wait to do it again.

The reason for this question is that the thing I love about cruising is unpacking and then the boat becomes your home for however long the trip is. We would like to go to China and do the Roof of the World cruise on Viking, my worry is that a lot of these days in China require internal flying, different hotels, and some river cruising, not sure how others have got on knowing you have to pack your case a few times to accomodate the hotel stays and flights, was this an inconvenience, or am I making too much of it? Any advice would be much appreciated.