Prague and Budapest, pre and post

dirtgirl

I am on the Romantic Danube cruise next year on the AmaSerena. We have 3 nights pre in Prague, and are staying an extra night in Budapest at the end.

I am wondering what sites to add on in Prague and Budapest? We have included tours, but I want to make sure that with our limited time, we maximize the most important sites.

This is what AMA does in Budapest on our day there:

BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

This morning, your sightseeing tour takes you to the historic Buda Castle, which offers a splendid view of the river and the twin cities of Buda and Pest. Your tour also features the Fisherman’s Bastion, the Royal Palace, St. Stephen’s Basilica, and Heroes’ Square. After dinner, the ship will sail a special “Illuminations Cruise” past the illuminated river front of Budapest.

In Prague, this is what is offered:

Day 3 PRAGUE

Your morning sightseeing tour takes you to Prague’s historic city center, recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Enjoy a panoramic tour of the city before visiting the 1,000-year-old Prague Castle. Afterwards, walk over Charles Bridge to the Old Town Square. This evening, an optional “Folklore Dinner Show” provides an opportunity to learn about Czech music, dance and traditions. (B)

Day 4 PRAGUE

Spend the day at your leisure or take an optional excursion to Terezin, the infamous **** WWII concentration camp that is now a memorial to those who perished. Or choose an optional excursion to Lobkowicz Palace. (B)

I know that we'll be going to Terezin on Day 4 - I don't know how long that tour takes, though, but I will find out by calling AMA. The afternoon on Day 3 will also be free.

What would you consider must sees that are not included in the above? This is my first river cruise, and I have never been to any of these places.

We are active, have no mobility issues, and love history.

Thanks for any and all advice! :)

Edited by dirtgirl

Got a guidebook for both cities.Loads of info.Also go to ea.city tourist site.

Then pick and chose what YOU like.

Loved BOTH cities,but Budapest the best. The hotel is right on river there and took a pedi cab for 1hr.tour(went to places bus can t).Can walk to many others.

Did Terezin and all day tour. Sad but informative and glad I went.Guide on bus and also one at site.

Asked concierge in ea.hotel for rest.suggestions and all great.

Prague ,,,can walk to Jewish section for informative tour and sites too.

I am on the Romantic Danube cruise next year on the AmaSerena. We have 3 nights pre in Prague, and are staying an extra night in Budapest at the end.

I am wondering what sites to add on in Prague and Budapest? We have included tours, but I want to make sure that with our limited time, we maximize the most important sites.

This is what AMA does in Budapest on our day there:

BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

This morning, your sightseeing tour takes you to the historic Buda Castle, which offers a splendid view of the river and the twin cities of Buda and Pest. Your tour also features the Fisherman’s Bastion, the Royal Palace, St. Stephen’s Basilica, and Heroes’ Square. After dinner, the ship will sail a special “Illuminations Cruise” past the illuminated river front of Budapest.

In Prague, this is what is offered:

Day 3 PRAGUE

Your morning sightseeing tour takes you to Prague’s historic city center, recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Enjoy a panoramic tour of the city before visiting the 1,000-year-old Prague Castle. Afterwards, walk over Charles Bridge to the Old Town Square. This evening, an optional “Folklore Dinner Show” provides an opportunity to learn about Czech music, dance and traditions. (B)

Day 4 PRAGUE

Spend the day at your leisure or take an optional excursion to Terezin, the infamous **** WWII concentration camp that is now a memorial to those who perished. Or choose an optional excursion to Lobkowicz Palace. (B)

I know that we'll be going to Terezin on Day 4 - I don't know how long that tour takes, though, but I will find out by calling AMA. The afternoon on Day 3 will also be free.

What would you consider must sees that are not included in the above? This is my first river cruise, and I have never been to any of these places.

We are active, have no mobility issues, and love history.

Thanks for any and all advice! :)

I think you pretty much have it covered for the amount of time you're in both cities. Loved both cities, especially Budapest, but I'm prejudiced!! Only thing I'll offer is some advice on what NOT to miss while doing these tours.

Prague: when you tour the castle your tour should end after going through a narrow little street with original buildings(?) now all shops. They are quaint, cute and very pricey, BUT when you get to the end there are food stalls. One of then will be selling something that looks like Pringles on a stick.....it's actually a potato that is spiral sliced, cooked and put on a stick. It is absolutely delicious!! If you have a free afternoon in Prague, the Jewish Quarter is just off the Old Town Square and is well worth visiting, especially the old Synagogue. One of the most moving sights I've ever seen.

Budapest: if you have free afternoon, visit the market. BUT most importantly , make sure you are on the top deck with your camera because your "repositioning" cruise will be spectacular and while other visitors will have to pay for an evening tour of Budapest lit up, you will get it for free! It is one of the most beautiful sights ever.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thank you for your suggestions! I managed to get a 2014 guide booklet sent to me as to what tours AMA did (2015 is not out yet). I now have a general idea as to what tours to do on the cruise, and am getting a feel for what extra things to try to do pre and post. :)

I think you pretty much have it covered for the amount of time you're in both cities. Loved both cities, especially Budapest, but I'm prejudiced!! Only thing I'll offer is some advice on what NOT to miss while doing these tours.

Prague: when you tour the castle your tour should end after going through a narrow little street with original buildings(?) now all shops. They are quaint, cute and very pricey, BUT when you get to the end there are food stalls. One of then will be selling something that looks like Pringles on a stick.....it's actually a potato that is spiral sliced, cooked and put on a stick. It is absolutely delicious!! If you have a free afternoon in Prague, the Jewish Quarter is just off the Old Town Square and is well worth visiting, especially the old Synagogue. One of the most moving sights I've ever seen.

Budapest: if you have free afternoon, visit the market. BUT most importantly , make sure you are on the top deck with your camera because your "repositioning" cruise will be spectacular and while other visitors will have to pay for an evening tour of Budapest lit up, you will get it for free! It is one of the most beautiful sights ever.

I believe that you mean Golden Lane - I'll be looking for one of those potato things! :D I definitely think the Jewish Quarter is on the list of things to see in our free time.

We have been twice to Prague and once to Budapest, both DIY.

We hired a private guide both trips to Prague and she greatly contributed to our understanding and enjoyment of the city. The Jewish quarter is definitely interesting as are some of the less central areas of the city. It is very explore on your own.

In Budapest we hired a private guide for 6 hours on our first full day and then explored on our own. The Terror Museum was very interesting and a worthwhile visit. We also spent 1/2 day at a lovely day spa which was a bargain as well as a pleasure.

Both cities offered good food and reasonable prices. We will definitely return to Budapest.

I believe that you mean Golden Lane - I'll be looking for one of those potato things! :D I definitely think the Jewish Quarter is on the list of things to see in our free time.

Yes, I am talking about Golden Lane, but was undergoing a temporary "brain freeze" at the time of my posting! Thanks for the jog!! :)

Edited by Hydrokitty

Both are very walkable cities: here is what I use.

look to the left to see the "walk 1", "walk 2" and then "maps" that can be printed out that match the "walk". Enjoy the cities--they are wonderful!

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/prague/632541#sthash.jtkbvVAa.dpbs

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/budapest/729079#sthash.GcanRUkM.dpbs

Both are very walkable cities: here is what I use.

look to the left to see the "walk 1", "walk 2" and then "maps" that can be printed out that match the "walk". Enjoy the cities--they are wonderful!

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/prague/632541#sthash.jtkbvVAa.dpbs

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/budapest/729079#sthash.GcanRUkM.dpbs

All these years of travel and still I never leave home without Frommers!

hydrokitty,

As I've mentioned before, I create a notebook (old fashioned 3 ring) with dividers & pockets for each day we're gone. I do my research and always include the Frommer walks/maps as we are avid DIY, especially on river cruises.

When we reach a port, I put those pages into a plastic sleeve and stick it in purse/backpack and off we go. Then I throw them away at the end of the port visit.

Walmart/Target notebooks are ~$1.00. I get the ones with pockets in the front and back covers and put "stuff" there I've collected in port. Sometimes ziplock bags are used for "stuff!" Keeps me organized!!

Mr Wonderful, the Geek, also downloads the maps into his handheld so we have his gps & maps, plus my paper maps. Awesome!!!!

cbb: That sounds too much like work for me :D I just throw the book in my backpack with a cityguide and off we go. Then I leave it in the ship's library when we leave. I'm the computer geek in our house but I still have a "stupid" phone (go figure) so I leave my hardware on the ship. DH doesn't trust it (or me :D) when it comes to directions and prefers to look at a "real map".

hydrokitty,

I was a history teacher in another life, so research is part of my DNA. (and that includes buying new fridges, cars, genealogy, recipes, and trips!!!)

Many people forget to bring something to recharge their "smart" tools, or fresh batteries, (Mr. Wonderful is rabid on the subject!) so it is nice to have that paper map to rely on.

As we walk along, sometime I see some place I'd like to return to, like a cafe or a shop, and he way-points it for me and reminds me later. Awesome!!!!!

hydrokitty,

I was a history teacher in another life, so research is part of my DNA. (and that includes buying new fridges, cars, genealogy, recipes, and trips!!!)

Many people forget to bring something to recharge their "smart" tools, or fresh batteries, (Mr. Wonderful is rabid on the subject!) so it is nice to have that paper map to rely on.

As we walk along, sometime I see some place I'd like to return to, like a cafe or a shop, and he way-points it for me and reminds me later. Awesome!!!!!

I did legal research, so I guess we have similar DNA...I always have my charger with me and batteries and charger for my camera..you only forget something like that once!!! DH is a civil engineer who specialized in bridge failures and it's interesting how we relocate places we want to return to, isn't it? He measures in directions (it's 200' to the south) and I locate by landmarks (there's a pink shop on the corner). Drives him crazy but it works!

I am married to an electrical engineer. Don't you wish they had come with an owner's manual when we married them? They truly just don't think like the rest of us.

I once read that women typically give directions by "red roof" and men "1/4 mile down the road, east side" even if the women are left brain people.

We combine our directions: "1/4 mile down the road and look for the bank with the red roof, turn east or left" and we rarely get lost!!!

Mr Wonderful does have problems with his "left" "right" --not on a map, but the spoken word. It helps him if I point in the direction we need to go!!!! I keep telling him he's lucky to have me!

hehehe.....I am directionally challenged as well as mathematically! I give directions by this way (right) or that way (left) ..... after 51 years he's finally gotten it! Engineers are special people. He would tell me why a bridge failed but he can't find his car keys! I can cook dinner for 26 people without batting an eye, but I can't find them either. We should go off cc...you can e-mail me directly chydro564@yahoo.com. I'm really enjoying our "chat" but we're way off topic! :)

Our college aged granddaughter spent about two months in Prague last summer.

She loved going to the bars in Prague and found the food in them to be inexpensive and much better than she expected. While young, she has always been a "foodie" so when she says the food is good, I trust her opinion. ;)

LuLu

Hey...we engineers are just fine. We just like things....organized. Both me and DH are EEs and I'm sure our strange ways drive others crazy. But it allowed us to save enough to retire at 40 and travel so I'm happy.

Oh I'm not complaining...but you do admit you like things organized! IMO without me DH would never leave the house and without HIM I wouldn't know what day it was!:D

Oh I'm not complaining...but you do admit you like things organized! IMO without me DH would never leave the house and without HIM I wouldn't know what day it was!:D

Haha....my sisters and cousins actually went around my house at Thanksgiving (we host) trying to find a drawer that wasn't organized! Like I said...in sure we drive some people crazy.

Our college aged granddaughter spent about two months in Prague last summer.

She loved going to the bars in Prague and found the food in them to be inexpensive and much better than she expected. While young, she has always been a "foodie" so when she says the food is good, I trust her opinion. ;)

LuLu

Hi lulu....I envy your granddaughter living in Prague...we lived in England years ago and loved it. But as for food..we found bar restaurants had great food in most cities and you get to meet some locals.

Many have given you good advice. and I suggest getting a reservation, if possible, to visit Parliament. We stumbled on an underground site near the castle. I can not tell you the name or how to find it but it was awesome. Also, visit the "Shoes" memorial not far from Parliament on the Danube. Check out TripAdvisor for options. We spent an extra two days in Budapest and walked everywhere. Saw a lot and would love to go back.

Many have given you good advice. and I suggest getting a reservation, if possible, to visit Parliament. We stumbled on an underground site near the castle. I can not tell you the name or how to find it but it was awesome. Also, visit the "Shoes" memorial not far from Parliament on the Danube. Check out TripAdvisor for options. We spent an extra two days in Budapest and walked everywhere. Saw a lot and would love to go back.

Ahh someone else who suffers from "brain freeze" occasionally :D Are you thinking about the Cave church? It is beautiful and the "Shoes" are very moving. To tour Parliament I strongly suggest getting tickets on line ahead of time. When we were there last time, you were unable to buy walk up tickets and the tour is well worth the effort. The web site is easy to use and they offer the tour at least twice a day in English and will add tours as demand requires.

I also think the parliament is a great place to see, short enough that you don't waste the day, but very interesting. The illumination cruise is beautiful, I've never seen such a beautiful city at night.

We did the ruin pubs, fun place to hang out at night.

The underground site near the castle is the hospital in the rocks. I wanted to do this. I found it interesting, but damp and kind of long. I found it more interesting then most as I work in medicine. Others might find it dull. I did enjoy walking over the liberty bridge and walking up Gellert Hill, see the statue. It is a easy hike, a beautiful area with walking trails, and the views. It was nice to get away from the crowds and the noise, a hidden oasis. As we walked down we ended up across from Gellert bath, and walked in. We only took a cab from the four seasons to the ship. Otherwise walked miles everywhere, felt safe, very clean, plus interesting sites & buildings along the way. Even at night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is also an underground museum closer to the Castle than the Hospital in the Rock - so that might have been what you found. We did it last year - some interesting WWII stuff inside. It was supposed to be a limited exhibition - so not sure if it is still on.

The underground site near the castle is the hospital in the rocks. I wanted to do this. I found it interesting, but damp and kind of long. I found it more interesting then most as I work in medicine. Others might find it dull. I did

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you visit the Hospital in the Rock - ask about discounts... there is a long list --> health care workers, seniors, military personal - but you have to provide proof. I am a nurse - but had nothing to prove it so I paid full price. It is not expensive.

Fran

If you plan on visiting the