What can you tell me about Glacier Bay??

marshhawk

Tell me about Glacier Bay. PLEASE!

This was our day. There is a running commentary pointing out things as you go along and a couple of park rangers/naturalists on hand for any questions. The ship stops for about an hour at Margarie Glacier, where you may see some calving. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]

Glacier Bay is a large expanse of water with numerous glaciers (I believe we saw 5). There is also the opportunity of seeing wildlife from the ship (with good binoculars). You may also see sea life (again with good binoculars. HAL spends almost the whole day cruising the Bay. It is a National Park. I can't post any photos (my trip was before digital cameras) and I haven't tried to scan all my old film photos, but it is an awesome experience.

http://www.nps.gov/glba/index.htm

Edited by agabbymama

Just like the rest of Alaska, Glacier Bay is something that you have to "experience". Words, pictures, and videos cannot do it justice. Once you see it for yourself you will understand what I mean.

I case you can't tell by my post, I love Alaska and will be going back for my 6th cruise there in July.

Get up EARLY! As you pass Point Adolphus (about an hour before you officially enter Glacier Bay), you're in prime Humpback Whale territory. Grab your camera and binoculars and hang out on deck. Okay, so you may want to grab some hot coffee too. :) Also, Glacier Bay is one giant ice box, so bring hat, gloves etc. You'll need them.

Here is a link to my photo blog of our day in Glacier Bay last summer.

My Souvenir Memories Blog (Glacier Bay)

We got lucky and had a great day weather-wise. Instead of getting off the ship in a port and taking a tour, our day in Glacier Bay almost felt like the "tour" came to us on the ship!

There is a lot of debate on this board, but this was one day I was so glad to have our balcony (a big splurge for us!)

Great blog, AryMay. You certainly had a great day for Glacier Bay. We sailed on the Coral for our second visit to Alaska. We love the ship and remember this as the perfect cruise. We were sailing with our best friends, it was my birthday, and we had a great and very active CC group.

Get up EARLY! As you pass Point Adolphus (about an hour before you officially enter Glacier Bay), you're in prime Humpback Whale territory. Grab your camera and binoculars and hang out on deck. Okay, so you may want to grab some hot coffee too. :) Also, Glacier Bay is one giant ice box, so bring hat, gloves etc. You'll need them.

You have to be coming from Skagway or Juneau for the above recommendation. I also would suggest being out at least 1/2 hour prior to the posted dawn time. Many cases, they are way past this area very early with usually stalling outside of Bartlett Cove, the hour reference above, is not accurate on many ships.

IF you are coming from the other direction Seward/Whittier, then you can easily see Point Adolphus which you'll pass after leaving Bartlett Cove. starboard side. Few people see this, with empty decks.

Here is a link to my photo blog of our day in Glacier Bay last summer.

My Souvenir Memories Blog (Glacier Bay)

We got lucky and had a great day weather-wise. Instead of getting off the ship in a port and taking a tour, our day in Glacier Bay almost felt like the "tour" came to us on the ship!

There is a lot of debate on this board, but this was one day I was so glad to have our balcony (a big splurge for us!)

Amazing pictures! Thank you so much for sharing! I hope our weather is as good as yours was. We're boarding the Westerdam on May 9th for our first trip to Alaska and our first balcony. Now I know why our TA suggested we book on the port side. :)