Anyone stayed in RCCL Family Ocean View Cabin?

cidymom

I asked this question on the main Royal Caribbean board and didn't get any replies so I thought I ask again on this Family Cruise board. Has anyone stayed in one of the Royal Caribbean Family Ocean View Cabins (specifically Radiance of the Seas 7504 on Deck 7)? My concern is whether you really feel the movement of the ship when being at the very front as I'm prone to motion sickness. Also, is there enough light coming through the porthole windows? I like the fact that it's bigger and can fit up to 6 people. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi; we were in a family OV cabin on the Navigator of the Seas in January--I'm not sure how it compares with the Radiance cabins, but we loved it. I think we were on deck 7 as well.

My husband and I were sailing with 7 (yes, seven) grandchildren. He had a balcony cabin where 2-3 kids stayed with him. I had the OV family stateroom with 4-5 kids (they did some cabin hopping). The kids were ages 5, 7, 9, 10,10, 11 & 11.

I thought it was a great room--quite large, with plenty of beds. The kids loved the small bunk room--in fact the four girls usually all slept there together. The sofa bed made into a nice large bed as well, and we had the regular beds made up as twins. There were curtains that could be pulled to separate the various sleeping areas off, which was nice when I wanted to stay up and read and the kids needed to sleep.

The port holes were huge--the kids could sit in them--and gave a lot of light. I didn't even miss a balcony, but part of that was because we were so busy. The one negative was only one bathroom, but we managed to get everyone in and out of the shower pretty fast.

We were on a 5-day sailing from Ft. Lauderdale that was very smooth. There was a little motion (not bad) a couple of nights and I did give some children's bonine out a couple of times, especially to the one granddaughter who gets motion sick easily, but frankly I think it was more of a placebo, the motion was so mild.

Of course, weather and seas can't be guaranteed; I'm sure in higher seas there would be a lot of motion.

I have a some pictures but I don't know how to make them small enough for this site--it never works for me.

We're booked for our fourth cruise in a family oceanview. I love it and it's the only room I want now (aside from the Royal familiy oceanview, that is). Be aware that there are two different styles of family oceanview. One has actual separate rooms and one has just curtain dividers. Both, however, have three separate areas (bunk bed, couch area, large bed area). Both are great rooms, just configured diferently. Our last cruise was a 14 day in January out of Bayonne. Surprisingly, we felt very little movement. Our first (in this room) was in November out of Floirda. That time we did feel significant movement. My dd who suffers from motion sickness in the car had no trouble, though. Also, you typically have to book it for five people (unless it is last minute and they open it up to anyone). However, even when paying for a "phantom" fifth person, it often comes out less or equal to two rooms (since the third, fourth, and five person are "discounted")

We had 8002 on the Jewel of the Seas. Loved it!! I did not notice any extra motion. And the window was large enough that it had a ledge (sort of a window seat). You can see the pictures of the room in the album below my signature. It was a New England/Canada sailing.

One word of caution...it is not considered a suite so only the standard room attendant tips are required....however, our room steward left us a letter that is usually given to the suites and it had the higher suite tips listed. I knew better. I left him the standard tip.

When I got home, I phoned because if I owed him more, then I wanted to make it right, plus I wanted the two cruise credits that the suites get. RCCL said it was not considered a suite.

About the room, we were a family of three. The separate area for our son had it's own dresser and closet. We did not use the upper bunk(pullman). There seemed to be lots of storage in the room. There were a couple drawers near the couch. Also an area above the tv. Also the vanity area had lots of storage.

We had family oceanview 8200 on Explorer of the Seas on our 1st cruise in Feb 09 - we loved the cabin there was plenty of space for us and 3 kids then aged 8,5,5.

Unfortunately as it was Explorer we sailed out of Bayonne at the beginning of Feb so in answer to your question do you feel a lot of motion I have to answer yes but this was probably due to the route we took and the time of year and on the way back the fact that the sea was hitting our windows on Deck 8 as we did have force 9 winds and 28ft waves :eek:

The following year we had a family promenade inside on Freedom on the Seas and I thought this was better only because we had a bath which we didn't on Explorer and because it was midship so there was less motion but we sailed out of Port Canaveral so I guess there was no comparison.

Just did out first P&O cruise on Azura in Feb this year - the ship had none of the wow factor that any of the RCI ships have but we had out 1st balcony cabin and I loved it :D

We had FOV 7200 on Liberty. There did seem to be slightly more motion there compared to some other areas, but nothing significant, and I am prone to motion sickness. It was not a problem. However, I suspect that if the weather was really rough, I would have had problems no matter where I was on the ship.

We found there to be plenty of light. I will say that we were only 3 in the cabin - 2 adults and a toddler - and we found clothing storage to be tight. We were wondering how it would work if there were 5-6 people (normal capacity) staying there. I'd say pack light. Then again, I also think that there is a lot of variety to the size and set up of these FOV rooms, both within and across ships. Some may have large closets or separate bedrooms while others don't.

Thank you everyone for your insight into the Family Oceanview Stateroom. I think all the positives outweigh the chance I may get motion sickness being at the front of the ship. I appreciate all your input.

• 2 years later...

Can anyone give me information or pictures/thoughts for the oasis of the seas family o.v. balcony, my cabin is located at the very end of the ship by the rockwall on deck 7. 7330 and same cabin in opposite direction - can't remember the number? anyone?

We have had the ov cabin on freedom 3 of our cruises and loved it. It was great as hubby and I had a room and the kids had the lounge and the other room. The down side is there is only one bathroom! This time we have gone for a interconnecting rooms just for that reason of needing two bathrooms.

Archived