Tripod on "Photo" excursion?

dneves

Heading to Alaska in a few weeks and we are signed up for one of those special "photo" excursions to see whales, etc. Should I bring a tripod? I am a semi-serious amateur and definately don't want to be the "fish out of water" by either being the one without a tripod, or the only one with....

Personally, I wouldn't take a tripod along on an excursion that's specific to a wildlife (action) venue such as whale watching. I would take the longest, fastest lens I have that I can shoot freehand and shoot Continous mode with a fast shutter speed. I might take a monopod for stability, maybe...depending on the amount of space available from where I anticipate shooting. If I know there could be some landscape image opportunities, and I can take a stowed travel tripod or monopod along without it won't slowing me down, then I would include either in the excursion.

Tripod on a small boat does nothing for stability. It actually transmits engine vibration and relative motion to your camera. Bent knees and the stabilization system built into your inner ear are far better!;)

Tripod on a walking tour is only ok if you expect to have a lot to say about how much time you spend at each photo op and how crowded the venues will be. Twenty people on a viewing platform is a sure recipe for dirty looks if you quadruple your footprint with a tripod. The suggestion to take a monopod is probably a better idea (still bad on a moving boat) but if you aren't used to maneuvering one in a crowd, it can attract the dirty looks as well.

Dave

While I often take a tripod on board the ship, I don't think I would take one on an excursion.

As said, you probably don't have enough time to set it up, and most excursions are more about moving people from point a to point b, so you will have to contend with being in the way of everyone else.

Use either vibration reduction only or perhaps a string-pod.

A tripod will be essentially useless and a pain to carry. If you want something that takes no space, can be carried easily, and will give you some although not a lot of increase in camera stability, take a chain pod.

DON

A tripod will be essentially useless and a pain to carry. If you want something that takes no space, can be carried easily, and will give you some although not a lot of increase in camera stability, take a chain pod.

DON

Okay- You've got me curious. What is a chain pod? (and how does one work)

Thanks!

Okay- You've got me curious. What is a chain pod? (and how does one work)

Thanks!

A chain-pod is a length of chain with a 1/4x20 bolt to screw into your tripod socket and sufficient length to reach the ground plus enough to step on. You step on it and pull up to put tension on the chain making holding it more stable.

Dave

I'm a big fan of a monopod especially whenever you have to travel by air. Much like a tripod it increases the hassle factor but it's about 1/3 that of a tripod. With shorter lenses it's not needed but when shooting telephoto especially using something bigger & heavier than a consumer lens it can be a real help. Even if you don't plant it on the ground it can be used as a secure hand hold and pendulum to provide stability.

I think there are two options. Go small and light. Sort of the minimalist approach and much like a tripod getting the lightest and smallest thing that will work. I choose on the other end of the spectrum and carry a big, fat Gitzo carbon mongopod. I use it as a monopod, walking stick and defensive device when needed and it has served me well. It's extra sturdy construction makes it a very stable walking stick, it's extra weight helps stabilize my camera and it's girth allows for a good strong grip.

--

Another variation on the chain pod is to do the same thing with a piece of rope or cable. Light weight cord can be stretchy but modern ones like Dynema or Spectra like used in high performance kite strings can provide the same benefit as chain while being lightweight, easily fitting in a pocket and don't set off metal detectors. A simple eye bolt in the camera and a length of string with a loop tied in the end and you're set.

If you have a serious lense, and want to capture that moment, and will have the lense/body up and in shooting position for many minutes, then YOU MUST HAVE MONOPOD.

See the attached pictures of all them photographers lined up to catch the next breach of a whale.. Lets just say most missed it :D

I also do bring a tripod, I think I've used it maybe twice, for group self portrait. I'll take stability anytime even with engine vibration over not having stability!

Heading to Alaska in a few weeks and we are signed up for one of those special "photo" excursions to see whales, etc. Should I bring a tripod? I am a semi-serious amateur and definately don't want to be the "fish out of water" by either being the one without a tripod, or the only one with....

1345634037_400Readytocatchthewhale.jpg.7046b4e627b2ab1048f597577c219372.jpg

If you have a serious lense, and want to capture that moment, and will have the lense/body up and in shooting position for many minutes, then YOU MUST HAVE MONOPOD.

See the attached pictures of all them photographers lined up to catch the next breach of a whale.. Lets just say most missed it :D

Definitely agree -- you must have the camera up and ready! These are both with handheld 18-300mm lens, in Antarctica; the second from a zodiac (no possibility of using a monopod, btw) :)

BreachingHumpback1024x743_zpse1217c6e.jpg

HumpbackTail1024x715_zps3ececea7.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I do bring my tripod but I would recommend a monopod instead if you have a heavier lens. :) I have a professional tripod with a Gimball head and can use my tripod as a monopod. I have a 13 pound lens and after a few hours handheld it becomes really tiring.

A chain-pod is a length of chain with a 1/4x20 bolt to screw into your tripod socket and sufficient length to reach the ground plus enough to step on. You step on it and pull up to put tension on the chain making holding it more stable.

Dave

We are taking the Un-Cruise Alaska trip, Juneau to Juneau on the Safari Endeavour, departing on Aug 4th, which is advertised as a "Photography" trip, with a professional photographer on board. I am bringing a lightweight 6' high tripod, hopefully it won't be in everyone's way:). I am looking into the "Chain-Pod" that I saw mentioned on this thread, hopefully I can make one. A 200mm lens is hard to hold steady when fully zoomed out, so some kind of "pod" is essential. Every trip that I've taken my tripod with me, I have always been thankful that I did, even though it is a pain to carry.

On an excursion I would never take more than a monopod. You would get in others way and slow everyone down IMHO. I only used a tripod when I'm doing something by myself and without the wife getting too bored with me.

framer

I'm going to try to take both my tripod and monopod on an Alaska cruise/tour early Sept. My plan is to use the monopod on wildlife excursions but also want my tripod for use during leisure times at Fairbanks, Denali and ports along the way. I may use the monopod on board the ship to support my big lens but doubt that I will use either one while the ship is sailing. The tripod will be added weight to pack in our luggage and used for only a few images but I don't get to Alaska very often so plan on taking it along.

Check out the Benro Travel Flat Version 2 tripods.

I own a Version 1 tripod and it is great for a travel tripod as it packs flat.

The difference with Version 2 is that you can also remove one leg and the center column and it assembles into a monopod.

And Version 2 includes an Arca-Swiss ballhead, whereas the Version 1 is a separate purchase.

I like my Travel Flat so much I am thinking of upgrading to version 2 for the monopod feature.

Archived