A fourth Cunard ship.. just a bit of fun!

melb1988

It's interesting what Carnival CEO Arnold Donald had to say this week:

Big Interview: Carnival Corporation chief Arnold Donald

"Higher prices are the ‘only way’ to boost cruise revenues". He said growth would have to come through revenues and higher price points, not increased supply.

“We need to create demand ahead of capacity, so we can get the pricing we need to be able to build more ships".

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/03/18/53513/big-interview-carnival-corporation-chief-arnold-donald.html

Also:

Cruise Shipping Miami: What's the State of the Cruise Industry?

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6250

While I can see his point, I would rather not have prices go up.

I think it's time for all cruise lines to expose cruising to the masses..

For example, where I live, Melbourne Australia, there is no TV commercials about cruises or no sort of advertisement what so ever..

You're lucky I'm in NSW and it seems every 2nd ad is for a cruise.

what are the cruise lines doing wrong!? It's all down to marketing.

Well as Australia is one of the fastest growing cruise markets in the world [#1 or #2 depending on who you listen to] they must be doing something right.

This sort of publicity isn't doing the line any favors as immediately it puts Cunard out of Reach financially for most people, in their minds at least.

But I suspect that is what Cunard want.

It is true that the cruise market is booming in Australia atm based on the figures. But this isn't helping Cunard as the only lines that have given the aussie market a decent shot is Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival & Celebrity.

Why doesn't Cunard positions one of the vista's out here for a bit? Take advantage of the boom and get some new customers.

There is no denying that Cunard cannot just continue relying on it aging loyals. If the line wants to remain relevant and continue operating in the future then a younger generation needs to be engaged. Australia is the perfect place to start as cruising is new to a lot of us here and the majority still are unsure. Tap the market Cunard.

It is true that the cruise market is booming in Australia atm based on the figures. But this isn't helping Cunard as the only lines that have given the aussie market a decent shot is Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival & Celebrity.

Why doesn't Cunard positions one of the vista's out here for a bit? Take advantage of the boom and get some new customers.

There is no denying that Cunard cannot just continue relying on it aging loyals. If the line wants to remain relevant and continue operating in the future then a younger generation needs to be engaged. Australia is the perfect place to start as cruising is new to a lot of us here and the majority still are unsure. Tap the market Cunard.

In reality we only have 6 of the major lines sail here:

Carnival

P&O

Celebrity

Princess

HAL

RCI

The rest just drop in.

I'd love Azamara to do a few Syd-Syd, Cunard did a few circumnavigations but even they are off the timetable for next year.

In the case of Cunard I think one problem they have is that they only have the 3 ships, by the time they do a few around the worlds and a handful of TAs they are stretched pretty thin.

In reality we only have 6 of the major lines sail here:

Carnival

P&O

Celebrity

Princess

HAL

RCI

The rest just drop in.

I'd love Azamara to do a few Syd-Syd, Cunard did a few circumnavigations but even they are off the timetable for next year.

In the case of Cunard I think one problem they have is that they only have the 3 ships, by the time they do a few around the worlds and a handful of TAs they are stretched pretty thin.

I try not to refer to P&O Australia as I believe that line does more damage than good for the industry.. My advice to people to travel P&O australia is, 'it's not a true representation of what a cruise is really meant to be like'

They are cheap and nasty lets just be honest and I fell for anyone who gives cruising a shot for the first time and chooses P&O Australia.

One of Cunards Vistas always seems to do a lot of mediterranean cruises during the year. They should send it to Australia/Asia instead where competition is not so big.

Perhaps a fourth smaller ship could be built for this region!?

I try not to refer to P&O Australia as I believe that line does more damage than good for the industry.. My advice to people to travel P&O australia is, 'it's not a true representation of what a cruise is really meant to be like'

They are cheap and nasty lets just be honest and I fell for anyone who gives cruising a shot for the first time and chooses P&O Australia.

I have to agree fortunately our first cruises were with Princess so when we tried P&O just said, oh well back to Princess, we've now added Celebrity and HAL to that list.

Cunard and Azamara would be on the list if they did some cruising here.

One of Cunards Vistas always seems to do a lot of mediterranean cruises during the year. They should send it to Australia/Asia instead where competition is not so big.

Perhaps a fourth smaller ship could be built for this region!?

I'd like that.

Next year Cunard are offering one Syd-Syd cruise, Azamara none.

P&O have picked up their standards in both quality of food and service, due to all competition in the last 5 years. When was the last time either of you (GUT and Melb) were on P&O Australia? We went on her last year and even though it was a so called 'booze cruise' being short, it certainly surprised us how they have changed in the last 13 years.

Azamara will be in Australasia in 2017 and they have just announced they will be back in 2018, though the itineraries have yet to be released.

It seems to me that Azamara has joined the list of cruise lines that have realised that Australia is a growth market.

P&O have picked up their standards in both quality of food and service, due to all competition in the last 5 years. When was the last time either of you (GUT and Melb) were on P&O Australia? We went on her last year and even though it was a so called 'booze cruise' being short, it certainly surprised us how they have changed in the last 13 years.

Been about 4 or 5 years for us.

Azamara will be in Australasia in 2017 and they have just announced they will be back in 2018, though the itineraries have yet to be released.

It seems to me that Azamara has joined the list of cruise lines that have realised that Australia is a growth market.

I know they're back but not One Syd-Syd itinerary.

Been about 4 or 5 years for us.

Perhaps the changes have come later, all I know is that there was a vast difference since 2001 and food and service quality, etc was comparable to X, RCI, Princess. It really is the ship's size and age that is their detriment now. If their prices continue become lower (more competitive) with the occasional bargain, I will cruise them again.:D

I have to agree fortunately our first cruises were with Princess so when we tried P&O just said, oh well back to Princess, we've now added Celebrity and HAL to that list.

Cunard and Azamara would be on the list if they did some cruising here.

I'd like that.

My First cruise was also with Princess! :) I think Princess is great line to start with! I always suggest it to people looking to take their first cruise.

Smaller ship, 800 - 1,000 passengers, so as to be able to get into more intimate ports without the need of a tender. Something along the lines of the Prinsendam or what Oceania offers would be ideal.

I agree, although the smaller the ship the higher the cost per person.

I agree, although the smaller the ship the higher the cost per person.

Not necessarily so but that is Carnival's "economies of scale" reasoning. Smaller ship, smaller crew, smaller fuel bill, smaller dockage billl, etc.......:D

She would have to make economic sense. An additional liner doesn't. I'm thinking of the world exotic cruise market, which fits Cunard's niche - especially with larger ships. Competing with ships like the newer Oceania and Seabourn builds would still be smallish for Cunard. ...and to be frank, from the Princess/Countess twins in the 70s, the Sea Goddess twins and those gem-named ships in the 90s, they've had problems with running smaller ships profitably.

The Queen Anne (too early for a Queen Katherine) - would take advantage of the widened Panama Canal, and would be engineered to fit under the bridge. As such, she'd be a bit larger than the QE & QV. Although a cruise ship by design, she'd have a hardened hull for her role as ship of the world.

As a new generation ship, she'd have high speed ubiquitous WiFi access to the internet and the coffee & pastry shop would have surfaces designed for laptops and plugs would be readily accessible in all daytime lounges. Cabins would have lots of plugs and also USB ports.

Her style would incorporate lots of dark wood and would bring the old world clubby style people expect. (a bit sleeker and richer and less fake bric-a-brac) The main dining room would be a double-height showplace. Besides the Queens Grill and Princess Grill, there would be at least 3 other specialty restaurants. There would be both a large showroom theater and a Queens Room as an alternative presentation space and ballroom. Of course, there should be a Golden Lion Pub. The classy overlook bar could be the Commodore Club or the Yacht Club - but this should not be the disco.

Cabins would be pretty much standard with the tech & power updates previously mentioned. There would be single cabins. There should be some 2 level duplex suites, since they've proved popular and work well in PR materials.

Edited by MarkBearSF

She would have to make economic sense. An additional liner doesn't. I'm thinking of the world exotic cruise market, which fits Cunard's niche - especially with larger ships. Competing with ships like the newer Oceania and Seabourn builds would still be smallish for Cunard. ...and to be frank, from the Princess/Countess twins in the 70s, the Sea Goddess twins and those gem-named ships in the 90s, they've had problems with running smaller ships profitably.

The Queen Anne (too early for a Queen Katherine) - would take advantage of the widened Panama Canal, and would be engineered to fit under the bridge. As such, she'd be a bit larger than the QE & QV. Although a cruise ship by design, she'd have a hardened hull for her role as ship of the world.

As a new generation ship, she'd have high speed ubiquitous WiFi access to the internet and the coffee & pastry shop would have surfaces designed for laptops and plugs would be readily accessible in all daytime lounges. Cabins would have lots of plugs and also USB ports.

Her style would incorporate lots of dark wood and would bring the old world clubby style people expect. (a bit sleeker and richer and less fake bric-a-brac) The main dining room would be a double-height showplace. Besides the Queens Grill and Princess Grill, there would be at least 3 other specialty restaurants. There would be both a large showroom theater and a Queens Room as an alternative presentation space and ballroom. Of course, there should be a Golden Lion Pub. The classy overlook bar could be the Commodore Club or the Yacht Club - but this should not be the disco.

Cabins would be pretty much standard with the tech & power updates previously mentioned. There would be single cabins. There should be some 2 level duplex suites, since they've proved popular and work well in PR materials.

Some great ideas, I like the sound of most of them. Good work.:D