A fourth Cunard ship.. just a bit of fun!

melb1988

Hi All! :)

Ok so lets say right now Cunard are interested in launching a new ship and they want your Advice on the matter..

What should It be called?

What market/demographic will she cater to?

How big should it be?

How will it look?

Where will it go?

What will its interior decor be like?

What will the accommodations/public areas feature?

Why should your vision to become a reality?

And anything else you would like to add..

Just a bit of fun everyone..

I know we have some very knowledgable and opinionated people here and I think it would be great to read what everyone would like to see created and why in regards to this mythical new Cunarder! :)

* RMS Mauritania - To pay homage to one of the lines most successful historic ships.

A new class of ship for the line, (a none Queen so to speak).

*Possibly smaller than the QV/QE, built as a liner like QM2 (so a totally new design), I'm seeing exteror inspiration from QE2, Caronia & Mauritania 2 but naturally with the modern twist and requirment of balconies.

*High luxury interior, possibly leaning towards a more edwardian period of style, think original Mauritania decor (again with the sight modern twist required for today). Lots of polished Dark faux wood panelling, white plaster with lots of detailing. Warm thick carpets & rugs. French style furniture and chandeliers. Lots of sky lights, stain glass work. Double hight public rooms, oval shaped rooms, curved ceilings.. a real nod to that early 1900's era of decor.

*Obviously cater to Cunards current market/demographic of loyals, but also try appeal to a newer possibly younger market to help ensure passenger numbers for the future. The ship should have an exclusive club feel to it, think the RMS Caronia. It needs to feel different to the rest of the fleet but still have that same Cunard warmth, perhaps service levels should aim for QE2 service quality.

*Could undertake world voyages all year round. Possibly much smaller shorter segments made available to help gain new comers for try.

*Possibly run with a cabin/tourist class theme rather than Grills/Britannia. (would work much the same, just be named different for nostalgia.

*Accommodation should be another nod back to the past, with some high detail included (just look at photos of first class suites on edwardian era liners and you will know what i mean)

*I want to see a proper verandah (palm court) style public room! Airy, open, wood lattice, Vine trees, cane chairs etc etc!

Also would like to see some proper large Lounge rooms like the old liners for example, "the Cabin class lounge", a huge space!

I would like to see a ship like this be made because I long for the experience of those opulent, palace like liners of the early 1900's! I believe it could be excited in a tasteful manner which also keeps in mind that it is actually 2015.. I believe there is a market for such a ship and if there isn't, well lets create one! Like all trends, they eventually come back and I think Cunard could really start something again with a ship like this!

enjoy! :)

meanwhile, back in reality.... :( sigh.

Edited by melb1988

What about the idea of an.....

RMS Olympic.. :eek: Would Cunard dare reference their connection to the White Star Line? Would they pay homage to "The old reliable" as the Olympic became known during her highly successful and long career? And would they dare paint the funnel White Star Buff?! :eek:

Very interesting to think about and I would love to discuss..

I think if they were to do an RMS Olympic, I would like to see a unique liner that rivals or surpasses the QM2 in design. But in saying that, I do feel as though the biggest ships in the line should always be "Queens" so to speak.

Smaller ship c 1000 passengers and pared back elegance along the lines of Europa 2 for starters.

Time to move on from the past and look to the future.

Good idea! I like the thought of a smaller ship.:)

Edited by turnip eater

Smaller certainly, but big enough to accommodate a proper theatre instead of the show lounges of all the small ships.

Wouldn't be universally popular though, there are some who really don't want a fourth ship and think that a three ship fleet is the ideal.

David.

Well like I said everyone, this is all just a bit of fun and a chance to say what YOU would suggest if you were asked to give Cunard ideas for a fourth ship. :o

I think a small ship would be great, even as small as the second Caronia, would be interesting.. could certainly get into some interesting ports thats for sure!

Hi melb1988 :)

Caronia (I) 1905 19,500gt

Caronia (II) 1948 34,000gt

Caronia (III) 1999 24,300gt

I think, from memory :confused: :o

I doubt that any would be big enough these days, economies of scale and all that.

All best wishes :).

Edited by pepperrn

I doubt that any would be big enough these days, economies of scale and all that.

Gosh they certainly are small aren't they!? :D

I guess if Cunard was to produce a ship of that size, it would have to marketed much like Seaborne markets its small ships. Intimate, luxury with a great crew to passenger ratio and a hefty fare price to match!

But wouldn't that be similar to how the Caronia's (2 & 3) have always been marketed?

I dunno, I think (in fantasy land) it would be nice if Cunard at least had one small luxury ship in the feet.. something a little exclusive? They have always had something like that in the past. :)

P&O Adonia, 30,000 gt seems to be quite successful, though with generally higher fares charged. A Cunard smaller ship would be expected to sell to a more affluent passenger than that, also with higher charges, better service and food and would need to be large enough to fit a theatre in.

Cunard won't build another liner and certainly don't need a Q3.

Will it happen? Will there even be a Cunard line in years to come?

David.

...I dunno, I think (in fantasy land) it would be nice if Cunard at least had one small luxury ship in the feet.. something a little exclusive? They have always had something like that in the past.

It would take some ingenious marketing to pull that one off as long as QM2 is the line's flagship. There would be their premiere ocean liner of the fleet but if you really want exceptional service and luxury instead try her sister ship?:confused: Usually a company that has different customer demographic bases will have separate "brands" to target each group.

Replace QE2, but a bit larger; 75,000 tons and no more than 1300 max pax. Make her an ocean liner and make her the fastest, as in capture the Blue Ribband from the SS United states. Use the speed as needed to visit more ports and/or more time at ports. She will cruise throughout the world.

Also, if possible, single seat "open" dining for everyone, plus specialty restaurants, but there will only be room for a few, including Kings Court and a pub. Definitely I would go retro, and do a recreation of the Veranda Grill on the 1936 QM, and the Observation bar on same. Also another specialty restaurant too.

Mostly all outside / balcony cabins, but on lower decks some spacious inside cabins with "virtual", live video balconies.

It won't be inexpensive to sail on, but it would blow Regent, Crystal and other "luxury" cruise ships out of the water, no pun intended!

Also, a two funnel design (more retro there). Only one active, and the other becomes the "Funnel Club", a two level night club/disco.

The ship will need to top out at over 36 knots to ensure capture of the Blue Ribband, and the maiden crossing should be done when the "Big U" did her's, over July 4th.

As to power, with more efficient hull design over the Big U, and an appropriate bulbous bow, you'll need at least the equivalent of 200,000 horse power, and 3-4 pods. Diesel, gas turbine or a combination of both as with QM2. Always remember that every extra knot of speed will cost you dearly in extra power.

As to the name, it needs to end in "ia", and here I do not want to resurrect an old name; let them rest in peace.

Since Cunard made their money between England and the USA, the name is obvious:

Cunard Columbia

Similar to the Oasis of the Seas but with the service expectation of Cunard.

How could Cunard build a 225,000 ton ship, and make money with Cunard's expected pax/space ratio? How could such a ship effectively do the itineraries that Cunard does? It's a non-starter. QM2 is about as big as Cunard ships will get. It is time to go smaller and faster.

They should do that behemoth with Carnival instead.

It simply will not work. As I said above, go smaller and build another QE2, and be the fastest.

. Make her an ocean liner and make her the fastest, as in capture the Blue Ribband from the SS United states. ]

Unless troop ships make a comeback that's unlikely. Crossing the Atlantic at an average speed of 35 knots would not be a very comfortable experience for the modern cruiser, exciting as it might be for a few.

I doubt many are interested in the Blue Ribband now anyway.

David.

... As to the name, it needs to end in "ia", and here I do not want to resurrect an old name; let them rest in peace. Since Cunard made their money between England and the USA, the name is obvious: Cunard Columbia
Great idea loubetti, I agree.

Name the new ship after one of the quartet of Cunard's first ships: The Columbia of 1841.

(Although... as she was wrecked off Nova Scotia in 1843 that may not be the best name to revive! ;) )

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

How could Cunard build a 225,000 ton ship, and make money with Cunard's expected pax/space ratio? How could such a ship effectively do the itineraries that Cunard does? It's a non-starter. QM2 is about as big as Cunard ships will get. It is time to go smaller and faster.

They should do that behemoth with Carnival instead.

It simply will not work. As I said above, go smaller and build another QE2, and be the fastest.

The point of this thread was to see what we would hope for in a fourth Cunard ship "just for a bit of fun."

Carnival is too busy worrying about continuing the Destiny class to invest in research and development to design an actual new build. Face it, Destiny, Triumph, Conquest, Dream, Sunshine and Vista class are all pretty much one in the same with minor enhancements as time goes by with added decks and staterooms. Even the Carnival Splendor, which was originally planned for Costa, is quite similar.

Small cruise ships are a thing of the past. It simply wouldn't happen.

On an unrelated note, I think specifically, "3048" is the perfect number of "passengers." What do you think, Louis? ;)

Edited by Cunard's Queen

Seriously though, as long as we are wishing, I would love to see a new Caronia. Similar in size and quality to the earlier versions. Less than 1,000 passengers. And as long as this is my dream, 30+ knots in order to get between exotic ports more quickly. QM2s 39 ports in 120 days World Cruise is nuts.

Smaller certainly, but big enough to accommodate a proper theatre instead of the show lounges of all the small ships.

Wouldn't be universally popular though, there are some who really don't want a fourth ship and think that a three ship fleet is the ideal.

David.

I think 5 ships are the way to go, as everyone knows 3 is a crowd while 5 is a group.:D

The "Columbia" would not be a dedicated TA ocean liner, though she would do one now and then as part of her itinerary, and maybe even at slower speed. She would cruise the world, and take advantage of her speed on certain cruises.

As an ocean liner, her hull design would allow her to deal with the seas better than cruise ships can at higher speed.

Bigger is not always better, and I believe a replacement for QE2 is called for.

A true liner / cruise ship like QE2 was. a Greyhound of the seas, with all the modern on-board amenities called for today.

Cunard does not need an "Oasis of the Seas".

Great idea loubetti, I agree.

Name the new ship after one of the quartet of Cunard's first ships: The Columbia of 1841.

(Although... as she was wrecked off Nova Scotia in 1843 that may not be the best name to revive! ;) )

Best wishes.

Hi Pepper,

I had also thought of "Olympia" as a name, and, yes, I am aware of the Greek heritage in that name, and that she was one of my favorite ships, "Regal Empress".

That being said, many of the Cunard "ia" ships have not too much to do with the UK, thus, I think out of the box as to a name. ;)

On an unrelated note' date=' I think specifically, "3048" is the perfect number of "passengers." What do you think, Louis? ;)[/quote']

Way too large, and so you know my street number, or so you think you do! :D Why not try 189, 2077, or 24 pax?

So, you point is that you looked me up. Big deal.

Edited by loubetti