A fourth Cunard ship.. just a bit of fun!

melb1988

That being said, many of the Cunard "ia" ships have not too much to do with the UK, thus, I think out of the box as to a name. ;)

Right you are. Many named after Roman Provinces. Mauretania, Aquitania, Lusitania, Carmania, Umbria, etc. Even Britannia.

Seriously though, as long as we are wishing, I would love to see a new Caronia. Similar in size and quality to the earlier versions. Less than 1,000 passengers. And as long as this is my dream, 30+ knots in order to get between exotic ports more quickly. QM2s 39 ports in 120 days World Cruise is nuts.

Hear hear!!

I actually truly believe that if they did another ship they would possibly revive the Caronia. It has worked for them in the past and they literally had one not that long ago.. Fingers crossed!! :)

Edited by melb1988

Hi,

Yes, I like the idea of a new Caronia, too. My suggestion would be approximately 50,000 tons / 900 passengers and somewhat similar in design to the new Viking Ocean ships, but with a more traditional decor. This design would include a full wraparound promenade deck. This ship would be a modern replacement to the Sagafjord, Vistafjord/Caronia and the Royal Viking Sun. However, the product should be more modern to attract some younger passengers. The ship primarily would offer longer cruises (similar to Holland America's Prinsendam), but occasionally would sail on some shorter (10-day) cruises.

Chuck

Way too large, and so you know my street number, or so you think you do! :D Why not try 189, 2077, or 24 pax?

So, you point is that you looked me up. Big deal.

I'm unsure what your point is. I was merely stating what I find to be the perfect amount of passengers based on double occupancy.

One thing I would not want to see in a new ship is the interior decoration reflecting a bygone era (Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco...). My fear with this is that Cunard just becomes a caricature of itself.

The interior design should reflect a modern aesthetic with all that is best in the 21st Century. That's what they did with QE2 with 1960/70's decoration, although admittedly much of that disappeared as it went out of vogue!

One thing I would not want to see in a new ship is the interior decoration reflecting a bygone era (Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco...). My fear with this is that Cunard just becomes a caricature of itself.

The interior design should reflect a modern aesthetic with all that is best in the 21st Century. That's what they did with QE2 with 1960/70's decoration, although admittedly much of that disappeared as it went out of vogue!

I would like to see Joe Farcus design the interior of a Cunard vessel.

I think the problem with modern is that it is never timeless and needs to be updated more often during the ships life. Like the QE2 had to be! One thing I'm sure we can all agree on it that when you walk into a grand old hotel and look around at the Victorian, Edwardian or Art Deco decor finish, you never say 'well this is out of date...' Those period styles remain to this day, elegant and pleasing on the eye. They certainly are opulent!

I feel this is why none of the current fleet has been presented as ultra modern, rather Art Deco seems to be the strongest theme in use.

If I wanted ultra modern I think I would go for a Celebrity ship perhaps? But when I think Cunard, I cannot help but mainly think back to their earlier ships and that is what I expect to feel like im onboard when I am onboard. Just my opinion though.

If they were to release a few new ships, I think I wouldn't mind if one was ultra modern.

I think the problem with modern is that it is never timeless and needs to be updated more often during the ships life. Like the QE2 had to be! One thing I'm sure we can all agree on it that when you walk into a grand old hotel and look around at the Victorian, Edwardian or Art Deco decor finish, you never say 'well this is out of date...' Those period styles remain to this day, elegant and pleasing on the eye. They certainly are opulent!

I feel this is why none of the current fleet has been presented as ultra modern, rather Art Deco seems to be the strongest theme in use.

If I wanted ultra modern I think I would go for a Celebrity ship perhaps? But when I think Cunard, I cannot help but mainly think back to their earlier ships and that is what I expect to feel like im onboard when I am onboard. Just my opinion though.

If they were to release a few new ships, I think I wouldn't mind if one was ultra modern.

Victorian, Edwardian, and Art Deco were the Ultra Modern of their day. Prior to the "Retroing" of QE2, Liners had represented the latest in style for their countries. Current ships in "Modern Style" could be Seabourn's new ships, or check out the renderings for Viking's new ocean going ships.

I have the sense from the way Carnival Corp. is expanding that Cunard is being left to fade quietly away.

Carnival Corp. has new ships on order or just launched for Costa, P & O, Princess, HAL, AIDA, Seabourn, and if memory serves me right, they are also developing a new ship class for Carnival line itself. Do correct me if I am wrong. I have not been able to cruise on Cunard for a while due to family matters (older parent needs, and I do not fly) so maybe I should not write here. But I wonder why no attempt to grow Cunard? My conclusion is that they do not plan to invest in the line and when these current ships hit the breakers time, the line will fade quietly away into the night. I also will print this out and eat my words literally if there is an announcement of a new build for the brand. I don't like paper, but with some soy sauce it is ok.

My thoughts on a new ship mirror other thoughts here. Slightly smaller and created as a liner that can cruise. The liners are better able to handle the seas and with all these storms about, I think stability is a plus. Speed, I don't really care about. I like slow speeds, keeps me on the ship more. Décor of the ship is up to designers with skill. I have none of that so I would leave them to their work and enjoy what they come up with.

I do hope I didn't offend anyone on my thoughts here.

Victorian, Edwardian, and Art Deco were the Ultra Modern of their day. Prior to the "Retroing" of QE2, Liners had represented the latest in style for their countries. Current ships in "Modern Style" could be Seabourn's new ships, or check out the renderings for Viking's new ocean going ships.

Yes this is true they were the modern of their time, but unlike the modern of 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and current, they are not timeless styles! For example, most hotels done in the 70's have been completely refitted since as the style was considered 'daggy' and outdated.. Yet majority of the the worlds best historical hotels still feature the same decor they did 100 years ago as the style remains, luxuiorus and desirable.

We will not have hotels decorated in the 70's still available to us in say 50 years as they have already been changed yet we will still have hotels with decor from the early 1900's and they will still be seen as luxuiorus. Timeless!

Edited by melb1988

Yes this is true they were the modern of their time, but unlike the modern of 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and current, they are not timeless styles! For example, most hotels done in the 70's have been completely refitted since as the style was considered 'daggy' and outdated.. Yet majority of the the worlds best historical hotels still feature the same decor they did 100 years ago as the style remains, luxuiorus and desirable.

We will not have hotels decorated in the 70's still available to us in say 50 years as they have already been changed yet we will still have hotels with decor from the early 1900's and they will still be seen as luxuiorus. Timeless!

Would agree that the old style hotels remain fashionable, but I think you will find that the bathrooms in those hotels have been refitted and modernised in the appropriate style (art deco etc).:D

And why can't those periods be timeless? The point about timeless is that you you have to give it time to become that way.

And why can't those periods be timeless? The point about timeless is that you you have to give it time to become that way.

How can we? We have already removed most of it.. What will be left of it 50 years from now?

People buy 100 year old homes and you think wow it's stunning! Someone buys a 60's/70's or 80's era house and what's the first thing people say? 'It's need a complete renovation!'

I think we can all appriciate decor from that older period as these days we truly value the hard work that was completed by hand by the craftsman of that period.. These days, it is rare to find someone who can even do that sort of highly detailed work. It's really a dying trade. Wood carving, plaster casting, guilding, hand produced furniture, hand painted one of a kind artworks, high quality detail rugs, mosaic work are all the things you see in early period decor.

Now look to the plastic fantastic, minimalistic era of more recent decades.. It doesn't take a genius to paint a plain wall a pyscodelic colour and place some plastic angular furniture in a room with a shag rug.. Think 60's/70's/80's/90's

Or how about current style, stone (usual granet) with neutral colours, chrome and black or white leather furniture on polished floorboards with some form of modern method of lighting usually a large over the top hanging light made of diamontes or chrome or sticks. The result, Very large, but plain almost clinical living spaces that look messy the second someone places a singular cup on the coffee table. Welcome to modern chic 2015. The style we love today but hate tomorrow.. The IKEA generation..

Edited by melb1988

Hi All! :)

Ok so lets say right now Cunard are interested in launching a new ship and they want your Advice on the matter..

What should It be called?

What market/demographic will she cater to?

How big should it be?

How will it look?

Where will it go?

What will its interior decor be like?

What will the accommodations/public areas feature?

Why should your vision to become a reality?

And anything else you would like to add..

Just a bit of fun everyone..

I know we have some very knowledgable and opinionated people here and I think it would be great to read what everyone would like to see created and why in regards to this mythical new Cunarder! :)

Considering the way they are running the QM2, a new cruise ship would probably be a better idea.

Interesting! :) can you elaborate?

I am just wondering, considering they are operating the QM2 at around cruise ship speeds, what if they get out of the ocean liner business? Maybe sell the QM2 to some real estate developer, and use the money to build another cruise ship? Or even just fold Cunard into the existing CCL portfolio, since it appears from this subforum that they are having trouble filling up even the 3 ships that they have, thus the very cheap tickets. There is clearly a market for the premium cruise line, thus why Celebrity and Holland America is still doing well, but maybe not for the type of market that Cunard is going after.

Edited by ren0312

I am just wondering, considering they are operating the QM2 at around cruise ship speeds, what if they get out of the ocean liner business? Maybe sell the QM2 to some real estate developer, and use the money to build another cruise ship? Or even just fold Cunard into the existing CCL portfolio, since it appears from this subforum that they are having trouble filling up even the 3 ships that they have, thus the very cheap tickets. There is clearly a market for the premium cruise line, thus why Celebrity and Holland America is still doing well, but maybe not for the type of market that Cunard is going after.

I honestly think Cunards biggest problem re filling the ships is that all their customers are dying! It's really time to fire the current marketing team and get some younger people in there who know how to market to a younger generation! It's time to set up Cunard for the future and as a 27 year old I can tell you, currently, unless you are an ocean liner enthusiast, there is no reason why you should want to travel Cunard.

I'm not saying make them into party ships!! Not at all.. There's enough of them around. But I'm sure there is a younger, professional and affluent market out there who are interested in a luxury, elegant experience. Cunard need to start aiming at these people rather than relying on the same old loyals as like I said, they are dying unfortunately!!

Young people (well the sort i mix with) do enjoy the finer things in life, my whole group loves suiting up, going out for cocktails, upmarket restaurants and even smoking cigars. There is a younger market out there that could be drawn to Cunard if the marketing team did it right.

I always find it strange that out of my group of friends, I being the only ship enthusiast, am the only one who even knows about Cunard!?

My friends could tell you the best restaurants to go to, the most luxurious hotels to stay at, the best destinations around the world to visit, the best airlines to take or the best car to drive.. Yet ask them about a ship and they're like :confused:

I think it's time for all cruise lines to expose cruising to the masses..

For example, where I live, Melbourne Australia, there is no TV commercials about cruises or no sort of advertisement what so ever.. I talk to people about cruising and they have no idea what it's all about and wouldn't even know where to start even if they did want to try one.. This isn't how it should be. I still feel the general consensus is that 'isn't cruising for old people who want to just sit all day and play bingo?' Are the majority still thinking this? Seriously!? With all the amazing ships available today and all the amazing destinations to visit, what are the cruise lines doing wrong!? It's all down to marketing.

It also doesn't help 'luxury lines' Eg: Cunard, that every time QM2 visits melbourne the TV news treats us to a story about it and just how amazing it is and just how expensive and exclusive it is.. I note that they always state 'around the world voyage will set you back $100g' yeah, perhaps in Queens Grill, but starting prices are like $20g.. This sort of publicity isn't doing the line any favors as immediately it puts Cunard out of Reach financially for most people, in their minds at least. Everytime I say im going on QM2 I always get the same response, 'wow did you win tattslotto?' When the reality is that frankly I have never paid over $3000 for any of my fares, I have always travelled in the grills both PG & QG and the trips have always been around 10 nights. This is not ridiculous pricing infact it is very affordable (and I'm not wealthy by any means). I just feel Cruise lines need to start setting the record straight, reach out to the masses, help them understand cruising.. And then watch them flock!

Currently I personally just feel that marketing for cruise lines is so behind the times. I know all the people I know would love a cruise.. But the reality is that hardly any of them would ever try one due to lack of knowledge about what is truly being offered and how it would appeal to them. This needs to turn around!

Edited by melb1988

I honestly think Cunards biggest problem re filling the ships is that all their customers are dying! It's really time to fire the current marketing team and get some younger people in there who know how to market to a younger generation! It's time to set up Cunard for the future and as a 27 year old I can tell you, currently, unless you are an ocean liner enthusiast, there is no reason why you should want to travel Cunard.

I'm not saying make them into party ships!! Not at all.. There's enough of them around. But I'm sure there is a younger, professional and affluent market out there who are interested in a luxury, elegant experience. Cunard need to start aiming at these people rather than relying on the same old loyals as like I said, they are dying unfortunately!!

Young people (well the sort i mix with) do enjoy the finer things in life, my whole group loves suiting up, going out for cocktails, upmarket restaurants and even smoking cigars. There is a younger market out there that could be drawn to Cunard if the marketing team did it right.

Holland America and Celebrity are doing well, and they cater to the mid age demographic, Holland America in particular caters to the 50s and older crowd.

I am 29 and I would sail on the old Queens (after stabilizers were fitted in 50s), Michaelangelo, Rafaello, SS France and QE2, and put up with the high ticket price just to sail across the Atlantic in 5 days.

Edited by ren0312

I am 29 and I would sail on the old Queens (after stabilizers were fitted in 50s), Michaelangelo, Rafaello, SS France and QE2, and put up with the high ticket price just to sail across the Atlantic in 5 days.

Yes but we appreciate true liners and clearly know the history behind it all.

Yes but we appreciate true liners and clearly know the history behind it all.
You have sailed ships have experiences to tell. Thank you.

Sadly some posters on many cruise chat sites only sail RMS Armchair or travel on SS Computer. Only ask questions which they know there no answer such as "Titanic sail again what fare be would it be faster than HAL cruise ship" etc. Or post to provoke dissent. They not answer question about life onboard ship. They should book trip soon.

Keep up good work keep posting good to read your posts.

Cheers.

You have sailed ships have experiences to tell. Thank you.

Sadly some posters on many cruise chat sites only sail RMS Armchair or travel on SS Computer. Only ask questions which they know there no answer such as "Titanic sail again what fare be would it be faster than HAL cruise ship" etc. Or post to provoke dissent. They not answer question about life onboard ship. They should book trip soon.

Keep up good work keep posting good to read your posts.

Cheers.

Couldn't agree more!

Cheers for the kind words mate :)

Cunard needs to consider repositioning one of its ships to the Asia-Pacific for a decent portion of the year. Cruise passenger growth is strongest in Asia and Australia. In fact, Australia leads the way presently with the greatest cruise growth as a percentage of the travelling population.

Americans and Brits are more frugal these days. The GFC effects are still being felt. Notice how Cunard is trying to tap the continental market, particularly Germany, as a way of garnering business. They recognise that their traditional Anglo-American consumer base is waning.

Instead of always putting one of the two extended vistas on either the Med or Baltic, Cunard should opt for more Pacific and Asia cruising. A couple of lines are already beginning to do this - think Princess and RCCL. Perhaps Cunard should get in on the action ... At least for a few months of the year.

It's interesting what Carnival CEO Arnold Donald had to say this week:

Big Interview: Carnival Corporation chief Arnold Donald

"Higher prices are the ‘only way’ to boost cruise revenues". He said growth would have to come through revenues and higher price points, not increased supply.

“We need to create demand ahead of capacity, so we can get the pricing we need to be able to build more ships".

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/03/18/53513/big-interview-carnival-corporation-chief-arnold-donald.html

Also:

Cruise Shipping Miami: What's the State of the Cruise Industry?

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6250

Edited by Ray66