7 day Society Islands

crisp1

Some excursions must be booked through PG, as the tour operators have a contract with them, and will not accept outside bookings.

Personally, I would recommend Dr. Poole's dolphin/whale watching excursion on Moorea as a must not miss. Can't remember if I booked this independently or through PG.

http://www.drmichaelpoole.com/

It used to be that it wasn't worth the aggravation to book independently. But these days, the prices for the ship-sponsored trips are quite high. If you can hook up with others on your cruise via the roll-call here at CC, you may be able to take advantage of other people's initiative in booking small group excursions. Otherwise, you have to do the research yourself, and deal with the vendors by email and find other passengers to join you. Or, in some cases, you can find excursions at the dock.

As for Michael Poole's dolphin watching trip, it's great. We did it as part of a private group for the third time last September (organized by someone else). He also did a ship's excursion or two, and I believe we got the better price. But again, someone has to organize this in advance, for the most part.

Now, if you ask people here what their favourite excursions are, you will get lots of answers, and perhaps some more names of operators.

Dr. Poole's excursion is excellent and well worth it even if you book through the ship.

Some tour operators are pressured by the cruise ship lines to not accept bookings made by individual passengers so as to not "take business away" from the ship. Something to keep in mind when researching your tours.

At this point it looks like we'll be booking our excursions through the ship. There is only one other couple on our roll call and they haven't posted since March. I'm the type that wants to see everything (drives the dw nuts) and loves to snorkel- she doesn't -snorkel that is. We've done day sails in the Caribbean where I've snorkeled and she swam and hung out on the boat.

Are there any 'not to be missed' PG excursions? Our Itinerary

Huahine 8-5 pm

Taha'a 8-5pm

Bora Bora 8am overnight to 5pm

Moorea 8 am overnight to 5pm

We arrive 8:30 pm on Thursday and will stay on Tahiti Friday- haven't booked a hotel yet- will most likely book an excursion for the day through the hotel

At this point it looks like we'll be booking our excursions through the ship. There is only one other couple on our roll call and they haven't posted since March. I'm the type that wants to see everything (drives the dw nuts) and loves to snorkel- she doesn't -snorkel that is. We've done day sails in the Caribbean where I've snorkeled and she swam and hung out on the boat.

Huahine 8-5 pm

Taha'a 8-5pm

We arrive 8:30 pm on Thursday and will stay on Tahiti Friday- haven't booked a hotel yet- will most likely book an excursion for the day through the hotel

We enjoyed the "Helmet Dive" on Bora-Bora. Lots of fish viewing and easy to do. Your DW might go for it. Tell her the dive attendant on the boat is a very very good looking Polynesian man in a traditional loin cloth.:eek: My DW is still talking about him and mad with me for not taking his picture.:D Bloody Mary's Bar in Bora-Bora was a fun stop too.:D

Hi Jim,For Huahine look up Marc's Motu Picnic tour on TripAdvisior. We went on his tour two years ago and am booked again for our Aug.29th trip. Lots of fish and clams to see and a really great lunch. You can't go wrong.:):)

Edited by cruisefun27

Thanks Emdee. You were so helpful with our TM cruise. There was so little information available that inaugural season. I see you're still helping first timers out.

You are very welcome.

Ask away....

I am looking forward to my second Tere Moana cruise in August and maybe you will join us for the next PG repeaters cruise hopefully in 2017?

Huahine 8-5 pm

Taha'a 8-5pm

Bora Bora -- Stingray Ballet is my favourite. The stingray part is in shallow water, chest-deep, so your wife can participate. Then you have a chance to snorkel in deeper water around coral heads--she can just sit and watch from the boat if she likes.

--the 4x4 trip around the island is also great and very informative. But the land rovers go up some jungle roads so it's a bit rough--not good for anyone with back problems.

Taha'a -- just go to the motu, no need for an excursion

Moorea -- Dr. Poole is great. Anything involving the Belvedere (lookout)--this is a must, as far as I'm concerned--a spectacular view--you can get there on a bus tour, a 4x4 or ATV's I believe.

Most people here on CC like the Tahiti Intercontinental--we stayed at Le Meridien last time and really enjoyed it. Most hotels can arrange excursions.

Is there decent snorkeling from the beach on either of Pg's Motu's? Any other place to snorkel from the beach?

Dw does not snorkel:cool:

Neither the Bora Bora motu or Motu Mahana have great snorkeling, but it's still worth a try. At the BB motu you have to swim out to coral heads, and watch the current through the pass, which sometimes can be a bit strong. Motu Mahana would be a good place for your wife to learn how--and do get her a flotation vest when you pick up your equipment aboard ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Wendy - the Stingray Ballet is my favorite as well. They take you to some great spots with rays, sharks and lots of other fish.

My husband and I are booked for our anniversary next year. Here are the excursions we would/would not do again:

Huahine: Although we did Marc's Motu Picnic last year, we did not care for it much. I know everyone on this site raves about it - I thought it was long and boring, and our guide did not seem to know much about the sites we visited. Snorkeling was just ok. May have been an off day for this tour.

Taha'a: Definitely the motu.

Bora Bora: Stingray Ballet absolutely! We also did the Wave Runner tour on this island. My husband had a blast, I was just happy to be able to hang on to him throughout the ride! We would definitely do this one again though.

Moorea: Dr Poole's dolphin excursion was fun, but we probably will do something else next time. We did the ATV tour which was a blast. We were able to see some beautiful sights and visit some great shopping areas.

Where is the best snorkeling on this itinerary. I have to indulge at least once :D

I'm not sure what to say about this. The coral reefs in FP have deteriorated markedly in the last 15 years since I first went there. Huahine might be the answer, but I haven't snorkelled there. Moorea had an attack of Crown of Thorns in 2008 when I was there, not sure what's happening now. Probably best bet is to do a motu picnic of some kind on BB or Huahine where the guide knows the best places.

I'm not sure what to say about this. The coral reefs in FP have deteriorated markedly in the last 15 years since I first went there. Huahine might be the answer, but I haven't snorkelled there. Moorea had an attack of Crown of Thorns in 2008 when I was there, not sure what's happening now. Probably best bet is to do a motu picnic of some kind on BB or Huahine where the guide knows the best places.

My only experience snorkeling is in the Caribbean- the best being in St Lucia and St John- I'm sure the worst snorkeling in FP is still better :cool: