Is over dressed as bad as under dressed?

Eglesbrech

It has been interesting to read views on the percieved / actual alteration in dress standards recently since Cunard introduced the new rules.

I like to dress up in the evening and it does not bother me what other people do. Live and let live as long as people broadly conform to the rules. (I do like to be smart but comfortable during the day).

How do others feel. Do you think there is such a thing as passengers being overdressed on the non formal evenings or indeed during the day and is that as bad as being underdressed?

Thoughts on a post card.:)

I think everyone should be comfortable and dress, as you say, with broad conformity. There is a lot of leeway. I don't notice if someone is overdressed or underdressed as long as the clothing isn't strikingly out of place.

It depends on my mood that day. Sometimes I prefer to be overdressed' date=' whereas other times, I prefer to barely meet the "acceptable requirements" for entry into the dining hall.

Personally, neither scenario takes weight over each other as I don't let how others dress devalue my cruise nor would I expect the way I dress influence the experience of other guests.[/quote']

I believe it really depends on the passenger. You can't lump them all together. What is overdressed to one passenger is under dressed to another.

I spent almost my entire 38 year working life wearing a suit to the office, so dressing up for informal dinner now I'm retired is not something I particularly enjoy. I am very happy to wear my DJ on formal evenings, but you will rarely find me wearing a tie on informal evenings. I would suggest that "smart casual" is perfectly acceptable, and that those who criticise are just trying to impose their own somewhat old-fashioned views on others who have embraced the 21st Century more willingly.

I'll get me coat ... ;)

I would be happy to embrace the 21st centery if what many called smart casual actually was smart, unfortunately, it often looks more sloppy than smart. But this is off the Ops question.

I would be happy to embrace the 21st centery if what many called smart casual actually was smart, unfortunately, it often looks more sloppy than smart. But this is off the Ops question.

On one cruise lines, dress shorts with a polo shirt is considered smart and within the guidelines for their version of the formal evening. To me, that is too underdressed for Cunard and in this scenario, it would be better to be overdressed.

I agree ;) .

There are so many ships out there, offering so much choice, that almost everyone can find a ship, or line, with an onboard style and atmosphere to suit them, where they can feel comfortable. Surrounded by people with similar tastes and interests :) . I wouldn't book Disney (amongst others), for example.

Why book the very opposite to what you want/where you'll feel comfortable/where you'll be happy. That is illogical :confused: . It makes no sense. It is similar to touching wet paint, despite the sign, and complaining that your hand has paint on it.

Would they:

Book Disney and complain about children?

Sail Carnival and complain about burger outlets?

Book Costa and complain about noise on board?

Sail Saga and complain about the number of old people?

Book AIDA and complain about the number of Germans?

Sail on a small yacht-like ship and complain there was only one/no pool?

So why is it OK to sail with Cunard, and then complain about the dress-code?

Please people, if you don't like; the dress-code, libraries, guest speakers, many quiet spaces, board games, afternoon tea, traditional understated decor, reading the Daily Programme (as apposed to being told what to do and when in an announcement), don't book Cunard.

If you're looking for; zip-lines, climbing walls, champagne fountains, on-deck movies, ice-rinks, noise and neon, wearing your gym-wear to dinner, don't book Cunard.

I don't understand what is so hard about that :confused: .

Best wishes to all :) .

I always think there are those who love to upset the Applecart so to speak. The dress code forum on Celebrity is as rowdy as it gets here. We've done 2 Celebrity cruises on the Eclipse. Due to it's 14 day trips, the dresscode is generally more formal than the rest of the line. We found the food in the MDR to be surprisingly much better than Britannia.The Grills still blows away even the higher cost specialty rest. on Celebrity. If Cunard would do more trips to the Caribbean we'd do more Cunard trips. I see one for late Nov.but we've been spoken for at that time. We'll just have to keep a look out for the future.

Of coarse as long as its within the standards of the dress code on the night, if it makes you feel fabulous, wear it!

I loved the opulence of evening formal dress on the QM2. So many lovely gowns, shoes, bags and jewlery out on display for me to enjoy. Everyone has a right to dress in their best and I for one am glad that they do. It creates such a elegant ambience onboard.

Marge

xo