A La Carte

wolfie789

Hello everyone.

A quick question. We are trying Princess Grill for the first time in August, after two very enjoyable trips in Britannia last year and in 2013.

My question is, what is the main difference between the a la carte offerings in PG and QG? The FAQ only shows the menu for the latter. Also, has anyone on here been successful in ordering a QG a la carte option in PG? From my reading of this forum, it seems that experience regarding flexibility in menu choices varies in PG.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've not travelled in the Grills for a couple of years so I'm not sure of the current A La Carte offerings. We ordered off menu in PG on QV by asking at breakfast.

Hopefully someone with more recent experience will be along soon.

Have a great trip.

We haven't travelled in PG at all, only QG, but we have looked at the menus and the every day menu is much the same, if not exactly the same. The difference is in the A la Carte menu, where QG has a larger choice.

Friends that have travelled in PG found they were able to order off menu less successfully than we were in QG, however, other suggest differently. Perhaps it depends in the Head Waiters and the Maitre d' on board at the time.

Whatever, I am sure PG is still extremely good and you will have a good experience. Have a great time.

Edited by cruiseluvva

I have travelled a few times in both PG and QG. Yes, the Queen's à la carte menu offers more choice than Princess. In QG there has been an encouragement to order off-menu. In PG I have not made any extra requests other than a jacket potato or mushrooms instead of the standard vegetables listed for a particular main course, but I have heard others make the occasional request.

On last year's crossing in PG I quietly said to my wife that there used to be Whole Dover Sole on the à la carte menu and it wasn't on this voyage. Apparently our waiter overheard that and told the maître d' who came to us at tea the next afternoon and told us we could have it any time we wanted. That was impressive.

Hello everyone.

A quick question. We are trying Princess Grill for the first time in August, after two very enjoyable trips in Britannia last year and in 2013.

My question is, what is the main difference between the a la carte offerings in PG and QG? The FAQ only shows the menu for the latter. Also, has anyone on here been successful in ordering a QG a la carte option in PG? From my reading of this forum, it seems that experience regarding flexibility in menu choices varies in PG.

Basically all the rest. have the same "standard" menu. Britannia Club has a "small" Al a Carte menu. Princess Grill has about twice the Al a Carte menu of Britannia Club. Queens Grill has a few more items available..such as Caviar(unfortunately, not the great stuff, but still fairly good)You can venture "off" menu if nothing appeals to you on the menu. Do note that it might take a day to prep a few hard to find items. We found Queens Grill staff more willing to cater to off menu requests than Princess Grill. You'll still do fine in Princess Grill,however.

I have travelled a few times in both PG and QG. Yes, the Queen's à la carte menu offers more choice than Princess. In QG there has been an encouragement to order off-menu. In PG I have not made any extra requests other than a jacket potato or mushrooms instead of the standard vegetables listed for a particular main course, but I have heard others make the occasional request.

On last year's crossing in PG I quietly said to my wife that there used to be Whole Dover Sole on the à la carte menu and it wasn't on this voyage. Apparently our waiter overheard that and told the maître d' who came to us at tea the next afternoon and told us we could have it any time we wanted. That was impressive.

Yes, frequently certain items are available. You;ll find Sweebreads & Foi Gras as well as the forementioned Dover Sole. The main reason these "staples" are not on the standard menu is because of those tacky Politically Correct"(in their small minds, that is)have made a big stink about the items I've mentioned. Dover Sole is considered a "threatened" fish.

Thanks KeithM for a very helpful post. It sounds like PG will be perfect for our needs and that if we do want to do a bit of off-menu ordering, we should be able to do so if enough notice is given.

Really looking forward to our first taste of the Grills, but slightly concerned there may be no going back afterwards!

Really looking forward to our first taste of the Grills, but slightly concerned there may be no going back afterwards!

You may very well be right there! Our first outing in QG was a real bargain and was meant to be a "one off" but it was so good, there was no going back afterwards :D. Although we are trying P&O again next time, just for a look see at the new ship.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Hello everyone.

Try this link, (Dining with a Princess), there is an example a la carte Princess Menu reproduced...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/12/23/dining-with-a-princess/

11480141816_5e849cfc27_z.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Solent Richard

You can also in Princess Grill request a special dish that does not appear on either menu.

I would add that that depends on the Maitre 'd and one's relationship with him.

We certainly have been well provided for in Princess Grill and Queens Grill for that matter.

Below are two photographs of a lunch tome Steak Tartare being prepared table side by the Maitre 'd...

8733864039_de6b27f2aa_z.jpg

8734983252_400961432a_z.jpg

Washed down with an excellent Argentinian Catina Alta Malbec: as recommended by one of the Princess Grill's sommeliers.

Edited by Solent Richard

You can also in Princess Grill request a special dish that does not appear on either menu.

I would add that that depends on the Maitre 'd and one's relationship with him.

We certainly have been well provided for in Princess Grill and Queens Grill for that matter.

Below are two photographs of a lunch tome Steak Tartare being prepared table side by the Maitre 'd...

8733864039_de6b27f2aa_z.jpg

8734983252_400961432a_z.jpg

Washed down with an excellent Argentinian Catina Alta Malbec: as recommended by one of the Princess Grill's sommeliers.

Looks great!

It was.

I've never had a bad time in Princess Grill. Indeed, I can state I've never had a bad time on Cunard and have been accommodated at all levels.

We still love Cunard, but wish they'd do more Caribbean trips. I work in a catering co.(part owner)the winter is really the only time I can travel. The last trip on the QV was a bit of a let down. The food was pretty good, but portions were quite small & the staff not too willing to bring extra. The QM2 has always been excellent(especially the 2 Grill trips)These past 2 years we've done the Celebrity Eclipse & their 14 day Caribbean trip. Overall they've been excellent. The food was better than Britannia & staff has always been willing to bring more,if requested. The dresscodes though not quite as formal as Cunard are followed well on Eclipse(not sure about the rest of Celebrity) I stll miss the food & service of the Queens & Princess Grills. This is probably the rerason Celebrity has a new "Suites" only rest. called Luminae. Seems to be trying to copy Cunard here.