Cruising during school year

cruizinisthebest

Keep in mind she will probably not be missing exams, but could be missing important content, labs, group projects, papers... HS is not middle school, and some teachers might not even let the work be made up for an unexcused absence. Dd14 did miss a week for a trip to Ireland this year, all honors classes, Spanish 3, Algebra 2. Luckily (and I am grateful), the teachers let her make up the work, but she had a huge English paper that was supposed to be edited by the teacher before the final paper was turned in. She didn't get any of the corrections (a very picky teacher), and didn't do as well as she would have. She got a B that marking period, her first ever. Ds17 once had a teacher who stated in the syllabus that if you miss class, get the work and notes from another student.

Just don't assume that doing well on exams after missing a review week at school means that missing a week of HS will be fine.

Thanks, but I'm not assuming that.

Also, I'm not sure if I stated this earlier, but our girls go to a small private school. Vacations are excused absences as long as we let the teachers know before hand (we'll be letting them know on back-to-school night, before the school year even starts).

I'm well-aware HS is not JHS, but I'm also aware of my daughter's intelligence, drive, work-ethic, and abilities. Well, I thought I was aware, but actually, what I was trying to point out with my little tale was that I had actually underestimated her. She'll be able to handle it.

I know it won't be exams she misses, being just a couple weeks into the school year, but be it labs, new content, whatever, I'm confident she'll be able to make it up. Like I said before, she is always ahead of the rest of her classmates. It might be good for her to have to hustle a little and play catch-up for a change.

She's never gotten anything below an A in her life, and she'd be pretty upset if she did, but like your DD, it might happen someday, cruise or no cruise. But at the rate she's going, it looks like I'll be taking her on a European tour in 2020. That's what I promised as a graduation gift if she graduates from HS without ever getting less than an A.:)

Even the teachers at our school occasionally take vacations (yes, even 7-day cruises!:eek:) during the school year!:p We have a great 'stable' of substitutes and the kids continue learning, without their regular teacher for a week. No big deal. So our school does not 'punish' students for going on family vacations. My DDs will be given some of their work to take with them on the cruise, and will be given some of it as make-up work when they get home.

Another thing working in my DDs' favour is their reputation. They have both attended this same school since kindergarten. They are well-behaved, attentive, straight-A students. Our school's teachers know that they are serious students that will get the work done.

I feel like I've had to go into defensive mode, here. And I'm sorry about the long post. But, as I and others have said, all families, children / students, schools, and teachers are different. And I'm sure my DH and I are making the right choice for our family.

For the sake of adding to the helpful viewpoints and experiences of others, I'll report back on this thread (if it's still around) after our cruise in September. If either DD ends up being overwhelmed by missed schoolwork and slipping behind, I will candidly report it, and admit my poor choice.:o

Thanks, but I'm not assuming that.

Also, I'm not sure if I stated this earlier, but our girls go to a small private school. Vacations are excused absences as long as we let the teachers know before hand (we'll be letting them know on back-to-school night, before the school year even starts).

I'm well-aware HS is not JHS, but I'm also aware of my daughter's intelligence, drive, work-ethic, and abilities. Well, I thought I was aware, but actually, what I was trying to point out with my little tale was that I had actually underestimated her. She'll be able to handle it.

I know it won't be exams she misses, being just a couple weeks into the school year, but be it labs, new content, whatever, I'm confident she'll be able to make it up. Like I said before, she is always ahead of the rest of her classmates. It might be good for her to have to hustle a little and play catch-up for a change.

She's never gotten anything below an A in her life, and she'd be pretty upset if she did, but like your DD, it might happen someday, cruise or no cruise. But at the rate she's going, it looks like I'll be taking her on a European tour in 2020. That's what I promised as a graduation gift if she graduates from HS without ever getting less than an A.:)

Even the teachers at our school occasionally take vacations (yes, even 7-day cruises!:eek:) during the school year!:p We have a great 'stable' of substitutes and the kids continue learning, without their regular teacher for a week. No big deal. So our school does not 'punish' students for going on family vacations. My DDs will be given some of their work to take with them on the cruise, and will be given some of it as make-up work when they get home.

Another thing working in my DDs' favour is their reputation. They have both attended this same school since kindergarten. They are well-behaved, attentive, straight-A students. Our school's teachers know that they are serious students that will get the work done.

I feel like I've had to go into defensive mode, here. And I'm sorry about the long post. But, as I and others have said, all families, children / students, schools, and teachers are different. And I'm sure my DH and I are making the right choice for our family.

For the sake of adding to the helpful viewpoints and experiences of others, I'll report back on this thread (if it's still around) after our cruise in September. If either DD ends up being overwhelmed by missed schoolwork and slipping behind, I will candidly report it, and admit my poor choice.:o

No need to be sensitive - I think most parents know that it is MUCH easier to take kids out of school if they attend private school. The majority of kids attend public, where teachers can have over a hundred students, and aren't able to make up labs for vacations scheduled during the school year. I just know that many parents who take their kids out of school every year realize, after the first time doing so in HS, that it doesn't work out well.

Dd14 is missing four days in March to travel to Scotland - ds17 is also going, because he's already been accepted into the college he wishes to attend. He's not the type of kid who would've done well missing a week of school in previous years. Dd20 would never have allowed risking her grades for a vacation, ds13 would fall behind for lack of trying, and I think dd13 could pull it off, but we're not there yet (she also went to Ireland for the week, but it was middle school she missed, so it was easy to catch up).

No need to be sensitive - I think most parents know that it is MUCH easier to take kids out of school if they attend private school. The majority of kids attend public, where teachers can have over a hundred students, and aren't able to make up labs for vacations scheduled during the school year. I just know that many parents who take their kids out of school every year realize, after the first time doing so in HS, that it doesn't work out well.

Dd14 is missing four days in March to travel to Scotland - ds17 is also going, because he's already been accepted into the college he wishes to attend. He's not the type of kid who would've done well missing a week of school in previous years. Dd20 would never have allowed risking her grades for a vacation, ds13 would fall behind for lack of trying, and I think dd13 could pull it off, but we're not there yet (she also went to Ireland for the week, but it was middle school she missed, so it was easy to catch up).

I'm sorry if I came off as too sensitive, but your statement of "don't assume..." struck a nerve.:o I'm sorry if i took it wrong. I am sensitive on this subject (and admittedly, a few others), because of constant criticism from other parents and even people who aren't parents:eek: that seem to think they know how I should be raising my children (see post from Wavesprite as an example).:rolleyes: I am not implying you were doing any of that, just explaining why I jump to defense. I've even been accused of lying about my children being straight-A students. Yeah, that's how I get my kicks: lying about how great my children are to strangers on the internet. How pathetic would one have to be?:rolleyes:

I'm sorry if I came off as too sensitive, but your statement of "don't assume..." struck a nerve.:o I'm sorry if i took it wrong. I am sensitive on this subject (and admittedly, a few others), because of constant criticism from other parents and even people who aren't parents:eek: that seem to think they know how I should be raising my children (see post from Wavesprite as an example).:rolleyes: I am not implying you were doing any of that, just explaining why I jump to defense. I've even been accused of lying about my children being straight-A students. Yeah, that's how I get my kicks: lying about how great my children are to strangers on the internet. How pathetic would one have to be?:rolleyes:

Here's the thing - many kids get their first B in high school. Dd19did, dd14 did (but it's just one marking period), dd13 has yet to get a B (can't say the same about my boys). Dd19 was good friends with the validectorian and salutatorian of her class - they had some B's. Ds17 is good friends with the front runners for these positions in his class - they have some B's on their records. If and when you dd gets her first B, she is going to feel bad about it. Losing a trip might make it worse.

Dd19 hot into a rigorous business program at a great university. She is killing herself trying to get all A's (2 B+'s so far). I'm trying to convince her to relax, B's are fine, after her first job, no one will care about that A in calculus. Kids should do their best, but sometimes there are things more important than grades. I want her to enjoy the college experience on campus.

While I try to encourage my boys to try a little harder, I've learned that I need my girls to know that a B (or even C, if it happens) doesn't equal failure. They put too much pressure on themselves.

This thread is closed.

From our guidelines:

"Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them...If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards."