Grandparents

margincall

We are toying with the idea of taking our granddaughter (who turned 6 in November) on our next cruise.Her parents would not be able to go,so it would be us and another of our daughters.

My question is,at age 6 or 7 does she need a passport and there any other documents we would need since her parents are not going to be there.

I probably have other questions which I will add as they appear in my meager mind

lol

I prefer to take passports in case of later problems which then become excessively complicated. I do not know exact requirement for US citizens. Generally when travelling with any minor, when they are not travelling with both the parents you need a notarised letter authorising you to take them out of the United States by the other parent or both parents in your case. This should specify the travel arrangements dates etc. and medical responsibilities if they become ill. This empowers you to let doctors treat them etc. Sometimes cruise lines have a blank on the website for you to download or find one on the internet. This is to be shown at check in to the staff. They do not always ask but if you have not got one you can be in a serious predicament.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

If it's a "closed loop" cruise, all she'll need is her BC and permission from both parents allowing you to take her with you. Also, you should have a copy of her insurance. As far as "permission to treat"...I'm pretty sure you'll be able to contact the parents, should the need arise....if it's something life-threatening, they will treat anyway.

CB is absolutely correct that a closed loop cruise can be taken without a passport, but I think if you run into any trouble and miss your ship, I think you are going to have a very hard time getting a passport issued without the parents present.

CB is absolutely correct that a closed loop cruise can be taken without a passport, but I think if you run into any trouble and miss your ship, I think you are going to have a very hard time getting a passport issued without the parents present.

Both parents have to go with the child in order to get the passport (for under 16). Once they get the passport, it will be a handy ID whether or not it's required for that itinerary (I always felt better about having it -- our daughter got her first one at age 3, and this last summer she got her official adult one at age 18 -- she had to go in person but didn't need either of us to go with her, except she needed me to drive her).

Definitely get the notarized letter signed by both parents authorizing you to take her and also get an authorization to treat from them along with a copy of the medical insurance card (better to have it rather than have to worry about the ship trying to contact the parents).

Both parents have to go with the child in order to get the passport (for under 16).

It is possible to get a passport with only one parent and the child present, there is a notarized form that the parent obtaining the passport for the child must present at the passport acceptance facility. I obtained my daughter's passport without my DH. DH had to take his passport, make a copy and of the info page and sign the form int he presence of a notary. I then gave the notarized form and the copy of his passport to the acceptance person. He had three forms notarized at the same time one for each of his children, I had the one for our daughter and his ex was then able to schedule the appointments for the older kids based on her availability rather than trying to get 3 kids and 3 parents all at the post office at the same time.