Best Ruins to visit frm Belize City

RoRothman

You have 3 choices.

Closest to the port is Altun Ha. It is mostly excavated with pathways and mowed open areas all around. About a 45 minute ride from port. Leaves you with plenty of time to return and do other things. Cheaper via private vendors, like Reggie's Tours, et.al. than ship excursion.

Next nearest is in Western Belize near Guatemalan border. Xunantunich. It is a long bus ride and you cross a river via hand cranked ferry. it's situated on a hill with temples surrounding the ball court . Excavated and mowed grounds. Take a ship excursion to this one as there can be delays along the road. Plan on an all day or most of the day trip.

Third is Lamanai. It is very far from Belize City, and accessible via boat up a river and then 4 wheelers through jungle. It is more along the lines of "Indiana Jones" in terms of excavation. Very similar to how early European and American explorers found sets of ruins in Guatemala and Mexico. It is a favorite of those folks on these boards who like Mayan ruins. But this is indeed an all day affair. If the ship offers an excursion, do Lamanai via ship so that if you are delayed, the ship will wait for you.

We visited the Mayan ruins of Lamanai a few years ago, but our experience didn't include the 4 wheelers. Our boat ride let us off at a path that wound around through the site to different areas of the ruins.

We booked our excursion through our cruise line. It took most of the day, but it was well worth it.

You might enjoy seeing the pictures my wife took for her website at the link below.

Lamanai Mayan Ruins Shore Excursion

Have a great cruise!

We visited the Mayan ruins of Lamanai a few years ago, but our experience didn't include the 4 wheelers. Our boat ride let us off at a path that wound around through the site to different areas of the ruins.

We booked our excursion through our cruise line. It took most of the day, but it was well worth it.

You might enjoy seeing the pictures my wife took for her website at the link below.

Have a great cruise!

Is this a hard or strenuous excursion? I had surgery 7 weeks ago and canceled this one because I was not sure if I could do it. Had 15 inches of colon, left ovary and appendix taken out. Feeling much better but still hesitant to do this. Thank you for advice.

Is this a hard or strenuous excursion? I had surgery 7 weeks ago and canceled this one because I was not sure if I could do it. Had 15 inches of colon, left ovary and appendix taken out. Feeling much better but still hesitant to do this. Thank you for advice.

IMO, follow your doctor's advice. How strenuous you can exercise is up to him/her and how he/she views your healing. Also, depending on age, recovery time back to the physical shape you were in prior to surgery is about twice as long as the period of time you were unable to be physically active.

IMO, follow your doctor's advice. How strenuous you can exercise is up to him/her and how he/she views your healing. Also, depending on age, recovery time back to the physical shape you were in prior to surgery is about twice as long as the period of time you were unable to be physically active.

Thank you. I am feeling very good but still have a few bouts of being tired and I am pretty sure that I won't be doing this but part of me is saying go for it. I am 52 and this has been a harder recovery then having a laparoscopic type of surgery. I am 7 weeks out today and was on weight lifting restrictions of 10 pounds for 6 weeks. Physically, not in the best of shape but I have a son that is disabled and he weighs 180 pounds. He is not able to help with anything and I have started changing and feeding him again this past week. I don't lift because I have his room set up with a ceiling mounted lift and all of his bathroom facilities are in his bedroom and are accessible by way of the lift. That is an awesome invention. My concern was climbing any hills? Is the walk leisurely or is it a keep up or we leave you type of excursion. I know that I won't climb the ruins or if I did it would only be a few steps up since I hate heights. We will be there next Thursday which will put me 8 1/2 weeks from surgery. As for the doctor, he released me at 2 1/2 weeks out and said for me to have fun on the cruise, LOL.

Thank you again!

Thank you. I am feeling very good but still have a few bouts of being tired and I am pretty sure that I won't be doing this but part of me is saying go for it. I am 52 and this has been a harder recovery then having a laparoscopic type of surgery. I am 7 weeks out today and was on weight lifting restrictions of 10 pounds for 6 weeks. Physically, not in the best of shape but I have a son that is disabled and he weighs 180 pounds. He is not able to help with anything and I have started changing and feeding him again this past week. I don't lift because I have his room set up with a ceiling mounted lift and all of his bathroom facilities are in his bedroom and are accessible by way of the lift. That is an awesome invention. My concern was climbing any hills? Is the walk leisurely or is it a keep up or we leave you type of excursion. I know that I won't climb the ruins or if I did it would only be a few steps up since I hate heights. We will be there next Thursday which will put me 8 1/2 weeks from surgery. As for the doctor, he released me at 2 1/2 weeks out and said for me to have fun on the cruise, LOL.

Thank you again!

Don't do Xunantunich.... there are several large hills, not much flat. And to see the largest structure you have to climb up on the structure, around a large hill, then up onto the structure with lots and lots of scary overhangs and steep stairs. No kidding, NOT for someone afraid of heights, OR someone who cannot do strenuous climbs.

When we went, there were about a dozen people who didn't want to do the climb up, so they ended up standing under some trees in the shade for 40+ minutes. They really couldn't see any of the glory of the structures from there. This was 50% of the time there. I felt bad for them, but they really shouldn't have booked a tour that they couldn't enjoy.

Don't do Xunantunich.... there are several large hills, not much flat. And to see the largest structure you have to climb up on the structure, around a large hill, then up onto the structure with lots and lots of scary overhangs and steep stairs. No kidding, NOT for someone afraid of heights, OR someone who cannot do strenuous climbs.

When we went, there were about a dozen people who didn't want to do the climb up, so they ended up standing under some trees in the shade for 40+ minutes. They really couldn't see any of the glory of the structures from there. This was 50% of the time there. I felt bad for them, but they really shouldn't have booked a tour that they couldn't enjoy.

Thank you for the information. I had the Lamanai Ruins booked but canceled and still have the desire to do it but need to know if it is hilly or has lots of things that could be trip hazards. I don't want to spend over $100 and have to sit in the shade. The rest of the crew are still planning on doing the excursion and keep asking me if I am going to be up for it. So far my answer is lounge chair in the shade for me or sitting on my balcony with a good book and a drink.

Thank you for the information. I had the Lamanai Ruins booked but canceled and still have the desire to do it but need to know if it is hilly or has lots of things that could be trip hazards. I don't want to spend over $100 and have to sit in the shade. The rest of the crew are still planning on doing the excursion and keep asking me if I am going to be up for it. So far my answer is lounge chair in the shade for me or sitting on my balcony with a good book and a drink.

Don't stay on the ship, Belize is a beautiful country with lovely people. I have been told, not been, that Altun Ha has very flat areas and not a lot of climbing. I bet that one would work for you.

It would probably be too strenuous for you. There is a lot of walking and the ground is uneven in places. The excursion involves a long bus ride to and from the site. I'm glad you're feeling better but perhaps you should do this excursion some other time.

Edited by JimAOk1945

It would probably be too strenuous for you. There is a lot of walking and the ground is uneven in places. The excursion involves a long bus ride to and from the site. I'm glad you're feeling better but perhaps you should do this excursion some other time.

Thank you! That was the information I was looking for and I was pretty sure that I would not be doing it but it looks like a beautiful place to see. The part that is feeling better said "go for it" but then there is that part that says "you still get tired and still have internal stitches that have not healed all the way". As of right now I am looking at the Altun Ha and Belize city tour or just doing the Belize city tour. Either of them I will be doing without my travel group and that is fine with me because I really want them to do the Laminai tour since they have been looking forward to it for the past few months. I very much appreciate the information.

Thank you! That was the information I was looking for and I was pretty sure that I would not be doing it but it looks like a beautiful place to see. The part that is feeling better said "go for it" but then there is that part that says "you still get tired and still have internal stitches that have not healed all the way". As of right now I am looking at the Altun Ha and Belize city tour or just doing the Belize city tour. Either of them I will be doing without my travel group and that is fine with me because I really want them to do the Laminai tour since they have been looking forward to it for the past few months. I very much appreciate the information.

You're quite welcome! Pick an excursion carefully and choose one that is categorized as "Easy" so you don't overdue it. The ones marked Easy are usually of short duration and don't involve a lot of walking. The city bus tour sounds ideal. Take care and have a great cruise.

Edited by JimAOk1945

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Altun Ha ruins close to the place where the bus or van drops you off at?

I'm looking for a Mayan ruins excursion where the only walking is just walking around looking at the ruins and not a walk back to get to them. One person that will be going with us can not walk very far without getting winded and he is on oxygen. Just looking for a Mayan excursion that when you step off the bus or van its not a 1/4 or 1 mile walk or hike back to the ruins.

Altun Ha sounds perfect if the ruins are right close by the bus or van. then we also have plenty of time to come back and do some shopping by the cruise port.

Oh and who do you recommend going through for this excursion. There will be 6 people in our group.

Edited by Jeepenfun

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the info I think this will be our choice too!

A few years ago we took the Altun Ha Mayan site and River Wallace tour.

1. There was a bus ride to the ruins.
  2. The ruins were fairly easy to walk around, mowed and pretty level.
  3. Then the bus took us to a place for lunch.
  4. After lunch we took a boat down the river and saw quite a bit of wildlife(like shown in the boat tour slide show for the other ruin in this discussion)

If you are not planning to climb the ruins, this would be a good tour to see quite a bit of the beautiful Belize countryside and ruins...without much exertion.

I would recommended that since the ruins are so far away and things can happen with transportation, that you book through your cruiseline. Not only the distance impacts you, but also Belize is a tender port, where the ships drop anchor a long way out from the port area....when the last tender leaves...that's it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too am considering the Altun Ha Mayan Site and River Wallace excursion on Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas in early May. I really really want to climb the pyramids!!!! And the river itself sounds wonderful and scenic - bonus.

Anyone know, how are the views from the tops of the pyramids? The only thing that even has me CONSIDERING Xunantunich is that supposedly the view from the top of El Castillo is breathtaking, but is it so breathtaking it's worth the 2 and a half hour bus ride each way?

Thanks in advance.