Best N. Europe Cruise For Fjords?

Hi All,

I really want to book a great N. Europe cruise - but I'm not sure if my ideal itinerary exists.

I'm looking for something on a newer ship, between 7 - 14 days that will allow me to see some sick glaciers, the northern lights and the arctic circle, if possible.

I'd be flying to Europe from the United States - and was hoping that I would be able to book a non-stop flight into an airport that's driving distance to the port... BUT, I want to fly in on an A380... because I think that would be cool as hell :eek: (so basically, I'm looking for a ship that leaves out of London... if there is one).

Thoughts?

Hi All, I really want to book a great N. Europe cruise - but I'm not sure if my ideal itinerary exists. I'm looking for something on a newer ship, between 7 - 14 days that will allow me to see some sick glaciers, the northern lights and the arctic circle, if possible. I'd be flying to Europe from the United States - and was hoping that I would be able to book a non-stop flight into an airport that's driving distance to the port... BUT, I want to fly in on an A380... because I think that would be cool as hell (so basically, I'm looking for a ship that leaves out of London... if there is one). Thoughts?

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Lots of helpful and smart people here.

Reactions? Maybe you are on a "Mission Impossible" effort?? We can all dream and hope. But, you are going to have serious challenges achieving ALL of your goals. We have done two different cruises involving Norway. As my live/blog below and the added visuals document, it is super scenic and interesting. Well worth the effort to get there.

There are logical challenges to consider. You need to determine which of these goals are most important and vital to achieve. How is your budget flexibility? Norway can be cost.

First, during most of their best June through early August season, the costs are higher than some might except. Plus, port tours, food, beverages, gifts, etc., can be more costly than some expect.

Second, sorry, no northern lights during this summer period. Need to be there in the winter to see the northern lights.

Third, very few cruise ships sail from London. Most go from ports an hour or two away from Heathrow airport.

Fourth, what do you mean by "sick glaciers" and seek to see/do in person?

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go farther north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice!!??

Tell us more on your reactions, added questions, background for past travels in Europe, with doing cruises, etc.??!! How much are you seeking for wildlife, shopping, culture, food, nature, music, history, architecture, etc.??

Look forward to hearing back from you.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,223 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

We went to the end of the road as our “adventure” in the dramatic Lofoten Islands with our rental car. We stopped in a village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. This is a simple name for a charming fishing town with spectacular scenery. We brought along box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock with water and sights all around us. This was our dining view with the busy and noisy birds providing entertainment!!:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry, thank you so much for your thoughtful insight and incredible photos!

I guess if I had to break down my priorities, #1 would be getting WAY up north, to see those beautiful parts of the world that most people never get to... I love visiting somewhere, and feeling like I'm on an entirely different planet. I got that feeling when I did an Alaskan cruise with Holland America on the Ryndam way back in the late 1990's. It just blew my mind and left a lasting impression on me. The glaciers, the whales, the food and culture... it was just one of those experiences that made you feel like you were living life to the fullest.

Flying on the A380 would be great... but probably quite a bit lower on the priority list!

My closest airport is Charlotte (CLT), but ATL is only 4 hours away - so I always think of that as a viable option when looking at flights.

Aside from Alaska, I've done the Mediterranean 2x... last time was my honeymoon in 2011. We were on one of the very first sailings of the Carnival Magic... it was a phenomenal experience. We tried Carnival again in May on the Sunshine, but ended up being very disappointed.

Further back, I've done Alaska, Panama Canal and the Caribbean.

I am going to scope out the Holland America itineraries for the Koningsdam for Summer 2018.

I'm pretty open to activities in port... although, I will say, I love the "eating" ones. On the Sunshine in May (not a port excursion, but I'll mention it anyway), we participated in the "Chef's Table" ... and ate some pretty amazing stuff. I'd imagine you get some pretty neat things in N. Europe as well!

Thanks again!

Chris

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Lots of helpful and smart people here.

Reactions? Maybe you are on a "Mission Impossible" effort?? We can all dream and hope. But, you are going to have serious challenges achieving ALL of your goals. We have done two different cruises involving Norway. As my live/blog below and the added visuals document, it is super scenic and interesting. Well worth the effort to get there.

There are logical challenges to consider. You need to determine which of these goals are most important and vital to achieve. How is your budget flexibility? Norway can be cost.

First, during most of their best June through early August season, the costs are higher than some might except. Plus, port tours, food, beverages, gifts, etc., can be more costly than some expect.

Second, sorry, no northern lights during this summer period. Need to be there in the winter to see the northern lights.

Third, very few cruise ships sail from London. Most go from ports an hour or two away from Heathrow airport.

Fourth, what do you mean by "sick glaciers" and seek to see/do in person?

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go farther north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice!!??

Tell us more on your reactions, added questions, background for past travels in Europe, with doing cruises, etc.??!! How much are you seeking for wildlife, shopping, culture, food, nature, music, history, architecture, etc.??

Look forward to hearing back from you.

TLCOhio, I'm glad I see you here on the board. We will be doing a land vacation in Estonia and looking to add a Norwegian Fjord cruise to our vacation. We are tied into our dates, so I was looking at Holl Am and NCL for July 30th. I am leaning toward the HA cruise because it seems easier to get to Amsterdam than Hamburg from Tallin. It also affords us to fly to AMS early in the am before the cruise, leaving us an extra night with our friends who are living in Tallin. NCL starts in Hamburg

Itineraries are as follows:

HA Amsterdam R/T, Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Alesund, Geiranger and Geirangerfjord, Bergen

NCL is Hamburg, Kristiansand, Haugesund, Alesund, Bergen, Flam, Hellesylt and Geiranger, Southampton

Another option is Hurtigruten Ferry for 10 nights, but from what I'm reading, they are boring and you spend a lot of time on ship, rather than in port. DH hates all the ship time and gets bored easily; whereas I can read a book and watch the scenery

Are one of those itineraries better than the other. (We haven't sailed either HA or NCL, but if they are our only choice, we will make due.) HA is the new Koningsdam, NCL is the Jade.

I value your opinion. Thank you

Linda

Terry, thank you so much for your thoughtful insight and incredible photos! I guess if I had to break down my priorities, #1 would be getting WAY up north, to see those beautiful parts of the world that most people never get to... I love visiting somewhere, and feeling like I'm on an entirely different planet. Flying on the A380 would be great... but probably quite a bit lower on the priority list! My closest airport is Charlotte (CLT), but ATL is only 4 hours away. Aside from Alaska, I've done the Mediterranean 2x... last time was my honeymoon in 2011. Further back, I've done Alaska, Panama Canal and the Caribbean. I'm pretty open to activities in port... although, I will say, I love the "eating" ones. Thanks again! Chris

Appreciate, Chris, your great follow-up, kind comments on my photos/reviews and details about your cruise/travel history, etc. Very helpful!! It is great to be in the Charlotte area and be somewhat close to Atlanta's airport. Wonderful that you have had a good amount of travel and Europe history/experience.

Clearly your top priority is to go north of the Arctic Circle and there are a number of options from different cruise lines that can satisfy that priority. As a quick hint, no one cruise will perfectly fit all of your desires and needs on timing, costs, ports, etc. But there are options to consider. Don't forget to consider timing as some part of May, etc., can be less than ideal for your weather odds.

On food, sadly Norway is not France or Italy. For dining in Norway, the costs for dining tend to be somewhat high and not at the highest levels of quality. It's OK or good enough, just not great or cheap food there.

Keep up the great research, questions, etc. Happy to share more and answer any added questions.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,239 views for this posting.

TLCOhio, I'm glad I see you here on the board. We will be doing a land vacation in Estonia and looking to add a Norwegian Fjord cruise to our vacation. We are tied into our dates, so I was looking at Holl Am and NCL for July 30th. I am leaning toward the HA cruise because it seems easier to get to Amsterdam than Hamburg from Tallin. Itineraries are as follows:

HA Amsterdam R/T, Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Alesund, Geiranger and Geirangerfjord, Bergen

NCL is Hamburg, Kristiansand, Haugesund, Alesund, Bergen, Flam, Hellesylt and Geiranger, Southampton

Another option is Hurtigruten Ferry for 10 nights, but from what I'm reading, they are boring and you spend a lot of time on ship, rather than in port. DH hates all the ship time and gets bored easily; whereas I can read a book and watch the scenery

Are one of those itineraries better than the other. (We haven't sailed either HA or NCL, but if they are our only choice, we will make due.) HA is the new Koningsdam, NCL is the Jade. I value your opinion. Thank you. Linda

Appreciate this above follow-up from Linda. Two interesting cruise options/choices. Both offer charming Bergen and nice/scenic Alesund. With NCL, they offer the Hellesylt/Geiranger potential to get "up country" and see the "Roof of Norway", plus getting wonderful Flam and its amazing rail experience.

With HAL, we have not been to Eidfjord and Hardangerfjord, but you are correct that the Amsterdam connection and options are serious pluses. Agree with your husband on desiring more port versus ship sea day sailing. HAL being a newer ship is a positive, too. Clearly, you've got trade-offs to consider. Both can work! BUT, as I noted earlier, there is no one cruise option that is perfect and that checks every one of a traveler's desired boxes.

Keep up the smart questions and careful planning.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,974 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Viking Ocean has a 14 day cruise up the coast of Norway that goes well into the Arctic Circle. It departs from London (Greenwich in fact) but ends in Bergen. Holland America has a very similar route but they depart from Amsterdam. Both are on new ships (Konnigsdam for HAL and Sea or Star for Viking).

As Terry stated cruises only run up into the Arctic Circle during the summer months so no northern lights because it never gets dark enough that far north in the summer to see them.

Viking Ocean has a 14 day cruise up the coast of Norway that goes well into the Arctic Circle. It departs from London (Greenwich in fact) but ends in Bergen. Holland America has a very similar route but they depart from Amsterdam. Both are on new ships (Konnigsdam for HAL and Sea or Star for Viking).

As Terry stated cruises only run up into the Arctic Circle during the summer months so no northern lights because it never gets dark enough that far north in the summer to see them.

Thank you for thinking about Viking Ocean, but they are doing some of Norway, but mostly the Baltic area. We have done the Baltics and more interested in spending our time doing just the fjords. Much appreciated though, I did have a look.

On food, sadly Norway is not France or Italy. For dining in Norway, the costs for dining tend to be somewhat high and not at the highest levels of quality. It's OK or good enough, just not great or cheap food there.

Right now, Copenhagen is the town with the top rated restaurant in the world. The restaurant is Noma and the chefs there have sparked a Nordic food awareness throughout the whole Scandinavian region. Stores and restaurants who are part of this food movement are creating food as appealing as the more commonly familiar cuisines of France and Italy.

Note: In some restaurants, especially Noma, foraging is part of the Nordic food revolution. That puts some items on the plate that were too weird for me, and I am quite an adventuresome eater. Instead of going to Noma, my husband and I want to Amass which is the restaurant crated by a former head chef from Noma. His cuisine includes some unusual ingredients, but is less in-your-face challenging than Noma's.

With so many "must-dos," I'm reluctant to add one more to the OP's list, but he/she should go to the following web site: http://foodtours.eu/

This company offers amazing food tours in Stockholm, Oslo, and Copenhagen. We took the four-hour tour in Copenhagen and thought it was fabulous. (We were in Copenhagen four days post-cruise) In fact, the mixture of the guide's explanation of both food and history was so interesting that we regretted not having taken the one in Helsinki too during our one-day port call there.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for thinking about Viking Ocean, but they are doing some of Norway, but mostly the Baltic area. We have done the Baltics and more interested in spending our time doing just the fjords. Much appreciated though, I did have a look.

Viking Ocean runs 2 ships June and early July to all Norway ports, no Baltics at all. The upside to Viking is they are new ships and only 930 passengers.

Viking Ocean runs 2 ships June and early July to all Norway ports, no Baltics at all. The upside to Viking is they are new ships and only 930 passengers.

That would be wonderful, but we are locked into July 29 -Aug 1 for a fjord trip

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There is a Hurtigruten ship leaving Bergen for the traditional Norwegian Coastal Voyage (12 days RT) every day of the year. You can fly in/out of Bergen from the USA, or do as I did, and fly to Oslo and take the beautiful train trip from there to Bergen and back. Hurtigruten is not your traditional cruise line, but the food is good if limited in selection, and there are no shows, art sales, bingo or other diversions other than looking at the gorgeous views all along the route.

TLCOhio, I'm glad I see you here on the board. We will be doing a land vacation in Estonia and looking to add a Norwegian Fjord cruise to our vacation. We are tied into our dates, so I was looking at Holl Am and NCL for July 30th. I am leaning toward the HA cruise because it seems easier to get to Amsterdam than Hamburg from Tallin. It also affords us to fly to AMS early in the am before the cruise, leaving us an extra night with our friends who are living in Tallin. NCL starts in Hamburg. Itineraries are as follows:

Are one of those itineraries better than the other. (We haven't sailed either HA or NCL, but if they are our only choice, we will make due.) HA is the new Koningsdam, NCL is the Jade. I value your opinion. Thank you. Linda

Appreciate Linda's nice follow-up. Not sure whether NCL or HAL will be better. Have not sailed on either line, but I sense that they will be somewhat similar. Agree that Amsterdam has some major pluses to consider as the place where your cruise would commence and return.

Keep researching and planning!! Don't be shy in asking more questions. Lots of details and factors to consider, especially with the wide range of stops and cities you are planning to visit.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,639 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I have sailed both NCL and Hurtigruten. Hurtigruten is spartan. We are doing North Cape cruise with NCL in July

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've read about how spartan also. I 5hink well stick with the upgraded versions of a vessel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk