New to this site, going on the Thomson Panama and Cuban Fusion cruise January.

Hi all.

My wife and I have traveled in the Western Med with Thomson on the Majesty and have just booked the Pride of Panama and Cuban Fusion trip for the end of January through February on the Thomson Dream.

Really looking forward to the trip

Just asking for any top tips really.

We did Cuban Fusion and loved it.

Cuba is amazing. The HOHO bus is great $10. The ship docks right in town. Don't listen to the ship scare tactics to get you to do tours. Some people were so scared they didn't even get off. SHAME! you can just walk off and walk around the town. It's great. I felt safe enough to walk alone through town (I'm female 50's).

At night we went and had drinks at Hemingway's bar. Many classic cars around if you want to go for a ride (don't get sucked into ship talk about limited cars). Even the taxis are classic cars but not shiny and new.

We have the same itinerary, as we get off you get on.

Go to "Boards" & log into Ports of Call. I have trawled through all the posts & have found many tips,

I look forward to Cartagena most of all, just a taxi to the walls & then walk all around the place.

Cheers.

Hi all!

Alanreg ~ welcome to Cruise Critic.:D You'll find a lot of information here on many topics. DH & I went on the Pride of Panama cruise in Feb. & would have done it again had our Canadian tour company advertised it. Instead we booked all inclusives in Panama then I come to find out last night the cruise is being offered again plus 2 other versions.:(

When we got back both of us wanted to return to Cartagena, we loved it so much but they don't seem to have all inclusives there. There's a nice little zoo/oasis right there at the port, the wall is neat & there's a big fort we didn't have time to explore. Downtown is lovely with lots of statues.

You're going to have a great time. It's a lovely ship, the ports are interesting & the food was quite good. Sure wish I was going again!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all.

What a great site this is.

Thank you very very much for the replies and advice so far, its very much appreciated.

We are really looking forward to the cruise and any extra advice regarding excursions etc would be great.

On our other cruise i must admit that at most ports we just walked into the towns and showed ourselves around.

In my travels I've been to many supposedly dodgy or dangerous places without incident so will have no fears about walking around Cuba.

We did the Club Tropicana excursion in Havana with Thomson - not cheap but what a memorable experience. Some people did it independently but it costs them about the same. The 'bit of rum' included in the trip turned out to be a 1L bottle of Havana Club between 4 - with 4 cans of coke! Not sure if that's the same now but we were just expecting a tot. (We were allowed to take the left overs back to the ship!). It's about 3 years ago since we went last but have been several times and felt quite safe in the old town even wandering around at night.

Get off early though to get your currency changed - you can't buy it beforehand and long queues develop. They only changed multiples of £20 back to Sterling though when you're leaving (you can't change it back once you're home) so bear that it mind. We doubled up with other passengers then made corrections between us in $US afterwards the first time we went but after that we just judged what we were spending and used the left over currency to buy very good value souvenirs and rum from the duty free terminal. Rum is ridiculously cheap!

Enjoy - Havana is one of our all time favourite ports of call.

Hi Thanks for the help. I cant find anywhere on this site called 'Boards', where exactly is it please?

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=818

This link should take you to the Thomson Roll Calls - select your ship and sailing date and find your fellow cruisers.

For future ref - Go to the 'Community' tab above (to the left of your Username box top right), Click the 'Forums' button, Scroll down to 'Roll Calls' section, select Thomson and go from there.

About 50% do go with the full dress but you will be fine in a suit or shirt and tie, just go smart and what you are comfortable in, I always wear a tux on captain's night but I can understand others are not so comfortable, that's one of the good points with Thomson it caters for all. Temperatures wise its the same as Europe with the air-conditioning, just a bit extra weight in your luggage. Have a great time.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

We usually DIY in Ports of Call, walking from ship & getting local buses.

On this itinerary the hardest is Colon, as every forum says do not walk around the town as it is very dangerous. Best to hire a taxi for 3/4 hours.:(

Next hardest Montego Bay. We do not like to sunbath for more than 1/2 hour or so as we like to get to a beach & walk along it & taking a dip, but in Mobay you can't as most beaches are private. :(

All the other stops are very good.:)

Just back from Cuban Fusion and Mayan Treasures B2B so may help...

Cuba was a complete nightmare to get into and out of day 1 so be prepared to queue. It is also the only Port where you must take your passport. By the time we got through customs after the tour people there were no queues for money exchange.

With hindsight you can cope perfectly with just US$ regardless of what told. On an independent 'wandering' tour we could have ridden in a old car for US$. Everywhere puts up the prices when the ships come in and you can buy cigars with US$. You may only need local currency if in a bar however if on a package we were reluctant to pay inflated prices on land for the 'free fayre' onboard.

We paid to go in the Museum of the Revolution and regretted it. Couldn't find any expo of death attempts on Castro and the fee is more than we were quoted on ship. Many of the streets are dirty and seedy so paying for a 'tour' would possibly give you the best bits.

We couldn't go to Grand Caymen due to the weather so bear that in mind if booking an independent tour.

We briefly did Tulum as once up from beach the heavens opened so we didnt see all the ruins. If you are not going to Costa Maya then a longer tour to larger ruins might be better.

BEWARE the boat trip between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen is nicknamed the'vomit rocket'. Despite sea bands, pills and will-power even a mild swell got the better of most passengers. The return however was bearable.

NOTE if you select a shorter Tulum tour you will have to wait a couple of hours for the other tours to return as everyone is sent back to the ship on one ferry. Only so many tacky shops of interest when soaking wet :)

Generally we are glad we booked tours with Thomson as the touts around ports will only run trips if enough punters and can be multi lingual plus priced very close to Thomson prices. At least with the T tours the coaches are clean and safe, you get free water and a lunch bag and are strict on time.

We had 4 formal nights and it is great to dress up but you can get away with a suit and tie. Sadly many men on our cruise decided it was beneath them to make an effort and it was sad to see the ladies with shimmer on the arm of a polo shirt or short sleeved check shirt and jeans...

Unless he lost his luggage the 'gent' in the Broadway on Captains night wearing shorts and tee-shirt with his glittering lady was sad.

We took Mexican pesos, Jamaican $ and exchanged Cuban. Everywhere however takes the US$ as a norm and everything is priced in US$. We then struggled to get rid of if before returning.

Just back from Cuban Fusion and Mayan Treasures B2B so may help...

Cuba was a complete nightmare to get into and out of day 1 so be prepared to queue. It is also the only Port where you must take your passport. By the time we got through customs after the tour people there were no queues for money exchange.

With hindsight you can cope perfectly with just US$ regardless of what told. On an independent 'wandering' tour we could have ridden in a old car for US$. Everywhere puts up the prices when the ships come in and you can buy cigars with US$. You may only need local currency if in a bar however if on a package we were reluctant to pay inflated prices on land for the 'free fayre' onboard.

We paid to go in the Museum of the Revolution and regretted it. Couldn't find any expo of death attempts on Castro and the fee is more than we were quoted on ship. Many of the streets are dirty and seedy so paying for a 'tour' would possibly give you the best bits.

We couldn't go to Grand Caymen due to the weather so bear that in mind if booking an independent tour.

We briefly did Tulum as once up from beach the heavens opened so we didnt see all the ruins. If you are not going to Costa Maya then a longer tour to larger ruins might be better.

BEWARE the boat trip between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen is nicknamed the'vomit rocket'. Despite sea bands, pills and will-power even a mild swell got the better of most passengers. The return however was bearable.

NOTE if you select a shorter Tulum tour you will have to wait a couple of hours for the other tours to return as everyone is sent back to the ship on one ferry. Only so many tacky shops of interest when soaking wet :)

Generally we are glad we booked tours with Thomson as the touts around ports will only run trips if enough punters and can be multi lingual plus priced very close to Thomson prices. At least with the T tours the coaches are clean and safe, you get free water and a lunch bag and are strict on time.

We are on this B2B in February. Could you please tell me which day and at what time you arrived in Cuba and when you departed.

Thanks TT

well if you are doing Cuba wk1 you will arrive in Montego Bay leaving about 8 pm then you have a day at sea and the evening is usually a formal one. Our ship arrived in Havana 8 am approx next day but took over an hour to get through customs plus a bit of a scrum to get off the ship. They also checked all docs on return for us so if going out again allow time for a delay.

Apparently the second time you leave the ship it is less onerous. I stayed on but my OH nipped off to get rid of our currency on cigars. We left afternoon after overnight in port.

If leaving ship and walking left you reach a craft market by the train station. It is huge and repetitive but if souvenirs are your thing go for it for price comparisons and if your nerves can take it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are travelling back to back in February on Pride of Panama and Cuban Fusion. I have been trying to find out whether we need local currency or whether the mighty US$ will do. Are most people saying that all ports accept US$ so We don't need to take any local currency?

• 4 weeks later...
We are travelling back to back in February on Pride of Panama and Cuban Fusion. I have been trying to find out whether we need local currency or whether the mighty US$ will do. Are most people saying that all ports accept US$ so We don't need to take any local currency?

In short Dollars will do nicely