Best ports for infants/young walkers?

Raenstoirm

Dh and I are very experienced cruisers. I am currently planning our first cruise with our twins. They will be about 1 year old at cruise time. They have already been to WDW at 3 months and are going again at 10 months so they will have air travel under their belts by cruise time. We want to do Caribbean/Bahamas. At least 4 nights up to 7 or 8. The question is where? We have been to almost every island but as adult only travelers so I never really noticed how kid friendly each island was. What islands have the most options for the tiny munchkin set? (We tend to do a mix of cruise sponsored and self pay excursions)

Personal opinion, but I like Grand Cayman. It is clean, safe, and easy. The turtle farm is a great place to visit for kids of all ages.

The downside is that most cruises that go to Grand Cayman also go to Cozumel. That is not a particularly great port for little ones, but there is a shopping center right at the pier which often has a guy with a burro--you pay for photos of him and the animal or your kid on the animal or whatever. The shopping center is an OK for kids place and easy to return to the ship for naps.

My kids have always loved the beach, so as long as you can get yourselves to one, you're golden. If they're small enough to still fit in their "bucket" infant car seats, bring those and then you can taxi anywhere you need to go. Castaway Cay is, of course, perfect for little ones. I don't have the knowledge off the top of my head about which port has what, but good little people attractions include aquariums and glass-bottom boat rides (especially the ones that are like half-submarines, for lack of a better term) -- so you could look for ports with those. But I bet you could find things to do anywhere.

Hate to burst your bubble, but most of the taxis on the various islands do not even have seat belts. Not sure how these car seats hook in--all the ones I've used required seat belts.

If belts/car seats are legally required on the island(s) you visit, taxis will have them available, as will tour companies. Tell them you'll need car seats when you book. If they are not a legal requirement, you won't be able to find them on most vehicles.

I do believe that our vehicles on Grand Cayman had belts. Those on Cozumel definitely did not.

Another great thing to do with little ones is to stay on board and enjoy the nearly empty ship.

Edited by moki'smommy

In Aruba, my son really liked Philip's animal garden, a rescue center where you can get really close to the animals.

The zoo in Belize is amazing, and I would agree that children would really like the turtle farm in Grand Cayman.

In Jamaica, my son really liked Dophin's Cove, which enables children of all ages to take part in a dolphin touch program, where the dolphin will give you a kiss if you book independently. They also have parrots, lovebirds you can feed, stingrays and lots of other animals to play with.

We've never had trouble finding at least one kid friendly option in each port, so I'm sure you will be fine.