Yukon Expedition & white pass railway

gottagoacruzn

Hi guys, been thinkin of going to Alaska next yr on Rcl or Princess. In Skagway, there is a tour offered, the Yukon Expedition, its a 8 hr and rather pricey tour and does anyone have any advice on taking this tour? Have been to Skagway many times, but have not gone to Carcross Yukon.

Virginia

Hi guys, been thinkin of going to Alaska next yr on Rcl or Princess. In Skagway, there is a tour offered, the Yukon Expedition, its a 8 hr and rather pricey tour and does anyone have any advice on taking this tour? Have been to Skagway many times, but have not gone to Carcross Yukon.

Virginia

I took this excursion last year. The Yukon Territory is very photogenic and the sled dogs were so active. The food in Caribou Crossing was good and very filling. Standing on the shore of Lake Bennett where so many miners launched their barges to the gold fields was great. The small town had some very good snack shops. I would highly recommend the excursion.

Here are pics of the Yukon Territory leg of the excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1088

Just did this excursion on 09/12. It was one of the highlights of our trip. My first cruise in Alaska 10 years ago did not include Scagway on the itinerary; now I do not think I would cruise an itinerary again that did not include Scagway. Take the excursion-you will be glad you did!

We have taken this tour and the White Pass Bennett Tour. On the tour you mention, the food at Caribou Crossing is good. The dogs are a delight. You also get to see the World's Smallest Desert. But the best part is the visit to Carcross. Make sure you

1. Go down by the lake

2. Get a ice cream cone at Mathew Watson's General Store

3. Get a Carcross Yukon passport stamp at Watson's.

We were at HeathRow and the Passport Official commented on how many times she had seen to Yukon Stamp. Shouldn't brag but held the Passport line up for 5 minutes talking about Carcross.

It is pricey but if it is available the Bennett Tour is better. We've taken this twice. Lunch at the station at Lake Bennett which is only reachable by train. The guided tour of Bennett Townsite is a blast. You can see the remains of the miner's tin cans. You'll get to walk about 10 feet on the Chilkoot Trail for a picture. The quiet is spectacular. The scenery is better from Frasier to Bennett to Carcross than over the pass IMHO. Plus you get a picture of BOTH ends of Lake Carcross. Return to Skagway by bus. Both are good. If you remember how much you spent for the cruise, the excursion looks better. Enjoy.