Ballroom dancing

Sunflower61

• 2 months later...
Can anyone tell me which ships have ballroom dancing? Looking at cruises early Dec 2013

I like Princess ships, they usually have ballroom dancing in both Explorer's lounge and Wheelhouse bar, sometimes you get to dance with the Ship's orchestra also.

Holland America always has a Combo at the Ocean Bar. I like HA because they usually have pre-dinner dancing too.

The Cunard ships used to, but I haven't been on one in a long time.

I presume they still do.

Royal Caribbean told me that they started a ballroom dancing venue on their ships last June, 2012.

I think Norwegian still does, but I don't like that ship line.

Check before you go to be sure it's not a special cruise that features Country Western, ( because that's all you'll get )

or a Wine tasters or Culinary or Lecture, etc. cruise, they won't cater to dancers on those cruises. If it's a Special Dance Cruise, it will be SO crowded with ballroom dancers that you will be dancing on the carpet in the dining room because you won't be able to find room on the floors.

Crystal ships of course have gentlemen hosts and lots of dancing with professional teachers on board.

Carnival ships have only Hip-Hop stuff and loud rock, at least the ones I've tried. I don't care for the Carnival ships.

Celebrity has a good dancing venue also, but the ships I was on had linoleum dance floors instead of wood.

So that's the limit of my experience.

You'll always get the "dance snobs", but some of them turn out to be just self conscious and are actually very nice.....but one couple tried to push us off the dance floor at the Ocean Bar on HA.

Happy dancing.

I like Princess ships, they usually have ballroom dancing in both Explorer's lounge and Wheelhouse bar, sometimes you get to dance with the Ship's orchestra also.

So that's the limit of my experience.

You'll always get the "dance snobs", but some of them turn out to be just self conscious and are actually very nice.....but one couple tried to push us off the dance floor at the Ocean Bar on HA.

Happy dancing.

We didn't try to push you off the dance floor, the ship just rolled and threw us that way.

All lines have dancing. Rccl and Carnival have ships that have alot of Latin Dancing.

So if you want strictly ballroom, Cunard, Princess, and finally Celebrity would be the major cruise lines. But all lines have dancing. I think only cunard still has a large dance floor. I have never seen linoleum dance floor on any ship, most are marble or wood.

I suggest you find a couple of cruises that you are interested in and ask about that particular ship on the cruise line boards. Then you will find out how many venues and what kind of dancing is provide. Get recent info too. It does change. We just recently sailed out of Galveston on Princess and had two nights of ballroom dancing and great dancing the other nights. Just don't know until you check it out.

Edited by happy cruzer

• 3 years later...

In October 2015 and February 2016, we went on the Crown Princess: the Princess ships have always had ballroom dancing in the Wheelhouse Bar, but now, it has been converted into a room with a guitar player and singer, singing Peter, Paul and Mary style of music, a $19.00 apiece charge

( every night) and tables set up for food serving. The Explorer's Lounge had a loud Rock n Roll band, so the only place to dance was in the Atrium with the Mariache band, who were excellent , but we could only Rumba and Cha-cha over and over again. The Ship's Orchestra did set up a Big Band swing night twice for about 45 minutes. Even at the Captain's party, they had the Rock n Roll band so we couldn't even dance there. SO disappointed.

I remember the days when we could dance for 30 minutes on the stage before the show every night to the ship's Orchestra, that was special !

I called Norwegian to ask about dancing, and the person said NO, they did not have ballroom dancing any more on the Norwegian ships. I've been on RCCL, and they had nothing to offer, and Holland America was so boring with their VERY old and nearly dead passengers,( which will be me in a few years )....You would think that they know that the people who cruise the most are elderly, and we like ballroom dancing. I do like Cunard and Crystal for that reason, but the cost is prohibitive.....I'm on a budget now.... Just sayin'.......

I think Norwegian still does, but I don't like that ship line.

I've sailed 2 different NCL ships in the past year and didn't see ballroom dancing on either. I don't think that sort of dancing fits their demographic.

I also don't like the line and won't sail with them again.

The OP posted this in February OF 2013! Think they have gotten their answer by now! Why answer now?

My husband and I started ballroom dance lessons when we were both 7 years old, You can ballroom dance to ANY music! WE do!

It depends on the cruise. We were on a PC cruise in 2015 and they had ballroom dance classes and venues at night. On the Getaway in the Caribbean, there was very little offered. Most of the dancing at night was the type where you just move and hop up and down. I imagine NCL. The lessons on NCL were taught by their professional dancers. While somewhat helpful, it was like "Here are a few basic moves...now we are going to put them together and do it twice as fast...!"

We were on a TA on an RCL ship this past April and they had ballroom dancing lessons taught by a very helpful couple who also attended the dancing at night to help out any of their students. RCL had several venues each night for dancing.