The best way to rent a car in Grand Cayman

Cdn2ndtimecruiser

Hi!

I'm hoping someone on CC can give some guidance on renting a car on Grand Cayman. Here is my situation: I'd like to rent from a company that is either close or has pick-up from the cruise pier. Given the number of people in our party and the varied locations we want to visit, I don't think it's practical or economical for us to use taxis. I'd prefer to rent before we get to Grand Cayman so we aren't spending too much time filling out paper work or find out that no cars are available when we dock. Also, does any know what happens if we can't tender.

Any advice on would be greatly appreciated!

Car rental agencies are mostly at the Georgetown airport. Contact Budget, Hertz, etc. They will pick you up near the tender dock and take you to the airport for the rental. You return the rental car to the airport and they will drop you off at the tender pier. The airport is very close to downtown Georgetown.

Bob

We used Avis.

https://www.aviscayman.com/cruise-home/

They pick you up at a store just a few 100 feet from the port and they drive you back to the port. Cars are at the airport. Actually good because there is less traffic to deal with when leaving from the airport.

Don't forget in Grand Cayman cars drive on the left side of the road.

Take the all inclusive rate to make sure your insurance is fully covered. We usually decline but our liability excludes Grand Cayman so we took the package.

Enjoyed Rum Point and the drive there was easy. There is a gas station just before returning to the airport to fill up. Very important because they charge you an outrageous amount per gallon if it isn't full.

Hi!

I'm hoping someone on CC can give some guidance on renting a car on Grand Cayman. Here is my situation: I'd like to rent from a company that is either close or has pick-up from the cruise pier. Given the number of people in our party and the varied locations we want to visit, I don't think it's practical or economical for us to use taxis. I'd prefer to rent before we get to Grand Cayman so we aren't spending too much time filling out paper work or find out that no cars are available when we dock. Also, does any know what happens if we can't tender.

Any advice on would be greatly appreciated!

Following, as I am planning on renting a car, too. The current plan is to head out to Starfish Point for a brief visit, then stop for a while at Rum Point. Hoping for a little less crowd than the west side of the island.

A couple of the companies have "Cruise packages" that include everything. Note that "everything" can, but does not always, include gas. I currently have a reservation with Budget, which is at the airport, but has a pick up near the pier (at the Hard Rock, I believe). I went with them because they had the all-inclusive rate that included gas. I'd pay a little extra to not have to worry about anything. But, like all car reservations, there is no deposit. So, if someone suggests a better way to go, I am flexible.

• 7 months later...
In addition to the rental companies at the airport there is one local company within walking distance of the port, Cayman Auto Rentals.

Used these folks a few years ago. It was easy. Take a left when leaving the cruise port, a 5 minute walk. Went to Rum Point, well worth the trip. As I recall it cost about $60 for everything. They are a small operation so make reservations.

Boy after checking, it may be better just to grab a taxi to 7 Mile. Add on this add on that fee, can add up...no wonder the citizens pay no taxes, they make all their money on fees!

A taxi is definitely the easiest way to get to Seven Mile Beach. A rental car is essential if you want to visit East End or Rum Point.

Boy after checking, it may be better just to grab a taxi to 7 Mile. Add on this add on that fee, can add up...no wonder the citizens pay no taxes, they make all their money on fees!

We don't pay taxes. We pay duties, fees, charges, licensing... a rose by any other name.

The one thing we do get out of is the temporary driver's license fees collected at the rental car counter.

Someone mentioned the cost of gas. Self service price at the pump is currently right about CI$4 per imperial gallon. That is about US$4.30 per US gallon. Use that when evaluating the refueling charge quoted at the rental counter. Last time I rented (when my car was in the shop) the quoted refuel price was not significantly more than retail pump prices.

• 7 months later...

A bus is the cheapest way to 7 Mile beach...and they are quite regular (about 10-15 mins between)...when you're done, simply walk the few steps to the road, and the next bus will stop. Much easier than a cab!

• 2 months later...