Uber cabs from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf area?

PaperSniper4

We travel a lot, but avoid air whenever possible. We have to fly into SFO for a Princess cruise in early April. I've never used Uber Cabs, but heard good things about them.

Couple questions:

How do I use Uber cabs? I understand there is a "smart phone" app I need on my phone?

I heard not to call for a ride until we're at the airport ready to go....I assume that means I've already gotten my bags. Where do I meet the Uber cab?

Anyone know how much I'd save by using an Uber Cab over a regular taxi? I know it's even less expensive to use a shuttle or BART other means, but Uber/taxi seems like the most straight forward and simple....which is worth several bucks to us!:cool:

Thanks!

We travel a lot, but avoid air whenever possible. We have to fly into SFO for a Princess cruise in early April. I've never used Uber Cabs, but heard good things about them.

Couple questions:

How do I use Uber cabs? I understand there is a "smart phone" app I need on my phone? Correct.

I heard not to call for a ride until we're at the airport ready to go....I assume that means I've already gotten my bags. Where do I meet the Uber cab? At the curb outside bag claim, just like other cabs.

Anyone know how much I'd save by using an Uber Cab over a regular taxi? I know it's even less expensive to use a shuttle or BART other means, but Uber/taxi seems like the most straight forward and simple....which is worth several bucks to us!:cool: That is what is unique about Uber- the rate can vary depending on time of day and demand. So it is not possible to predict what you might save on Uber. A regular cab is probably going to run $60, maybe $65.

Thanks!

I have read lot about Uber, but haven't used it. I would be research on the Uber website to get started.

Couple questions:

How do I use Uber cabs? I understand there is a "smart phone" app I need on my phone?

I heard not to call for a ride until we're at the airport ready to go....I assume that means I've already gotten my bags. Where do I meet the Uber cab?

Anyone know how much I'd save by using an Uber Cab over a regular taxi? I know it's even less expensive to use a shuttle or BART other means, but Uber/taxi seems like the most straight forward and simple....which is worth several bucks to us!:cool:

Thanks!

Distance is about 16 miles. Uber will cost you about $40 for two people. Here's a Airport site with costs for different transportation costs. It shows Uber cost.

http://www.fishermanswharf.org/airport-info.html

Distance is about 16 miles. Uber will cost you about $40 for two people. Here's a Airport site with costs for different transportation costs. It shows Uber cost.

http://www.fishermanswharf.org/airport-info.html

Hey, thanks to all for the good information. I also found THIS SITE that has useful information on it.

Anyone actually used a Uber Cab? In SFO or anywhere? My wife and I (mostly my wife's items!:rolleyes:) will have two large roller-bags and two smaller ones....plus at least one other hand carried bag like a purse or laptop bag sized. I suspect we could get that in the typical large yellow taxi (Crown Victoria), but I don't think it would fit in a regular Uber cab (UberX size). So I think we will probably need to get an UberXL, which is an SUV. Any suggestions on that?

From what I can determine, the cost of an UberXL will still be $15 or so less than the regular yellow cab......not that spending an additional $15 will break me after $7k for the cruise!:eek:

Thanks ya'll.

Doug

Uber is not a cab/taxi company. Uber is an app that allows private auto owners to make some $ by driving people around.

When you request a ride, the various drivers in the area will get "binged" on their phone and one will be routed to you. You will be told a general description of the car: look for a white Toyota Prius, etc. The driver may call you to coordinate the pickup spot and when he's there.

Uber and it's counterparts is a very controversial topic in these here parts :cool:

Hey, thanks to all for the good information. I also found THIS SITE that has useful information on it.

Anyone actually used a Uber Cab? In SFO or anywhere? My wife and I (mostly my wife's items!:rolleyes:) will have two large roller-bags and two smaller ones....plus at least one other hand carried bag like a purse or laptop bag sized. I suspect we could get that in the typical large yellow taxi (Crown Victoria), but I don't think it would fit in a regular Uber cab (UberX size). So I think we will probably need to get an UberXL, which is an SUV. Any suggestions on that?

From what I can determine, the cost of an UberXL will still be $15 or so less than the regular yellow cab......not that spending an additional $15 will break me after $7k for the cruise!:eek:

Thanks ya'll.

Doug

Here's another option that give you plenty of space for your luggage. Rent a towncar? We did this with friends in Seattle for a cruise and it worked out great.

Right now you can book online for $49 plus tip. Hope this helps?

http://sanfranciscosuperlimo.com/

Here's another option that give you plenty of space for your luggage. Rent a towncar? We did this with friends in Seattle for a cruise and it worked out great.

Right now you can book online for $49 plus tip. Hope this helps?

http://sanfranciscosuperlimo.com/

Thanks. Their "request a quote" page isn't working right now. I will give them a call later today. This would be an excellent option for us! Thanks for passing it along.

On Uber's fare estimator, SFO-Fisherman's Wharf shows $32-$41 for UberX and $51-$66 for UberXL. As Philob commented, there's no "Uber Cab"...perhaps you're thinking of Uber Taxi which is a special service and not available in SFO.

Have a family member or friend who already uses Uber show you how it works. They can send you a promo code that will be good for about $15 or $20 off your first Uber ride. When you set up your account you provide a credit card to charge rides to. If it's a Capital One card you get a 20% discount. Cap1 owns an interest in Uber, the promo goes at least thru the end of this year.

I'm not familiar with SFO but they may have a curbside area for shared ride services. In any case you don't "hail" a car until you're curbside. Plug in your destination, the app will show fares for X, XL, etc. Select the service you want...the car that you hailed will pop up on a map, so you can see their progress towards you. It will also provide a vehicle description, plate #, and name/photo of the driver. The driver will almost always phone you to confirm all the details.

On Uber's fare estimator, SFO-Fisherman's Wharf shows $32-$41 for UberX and $51-$66 for UberXL. As Philob commented, there's no "Uber Cab"...perhaps you're thinking of Uber Taxi which is a special service and not available in SFO.

Have a family member or friend who already uses Uber show you how it works. They can send you a promo code that will be good for about $15 or $20 off your first Uber ride. When you set up your account you provide a credit card to charge rides to. If it's a Capital One card you get a 20% discount. Cap1 owns an interest in Uber, the promo goes at least thru the end of this year.

I'm not familiar with SFO but they may have a curbside area for shared ride services. In any case you don't "hail" a car until you're curbside. Plug in your destination, the app will show fares for X, XL, etc. Select the service you want...the car that you hailed will pop up on a map, so you can see their progress towards you. It will also provide a vehicle description, plate #, and name/photo of the driver. The driver will almost always phone you to confirm all the details.

Thanks for that above. Very informative. I'd also forgotten about that discount on my first Uber ride, so I have to consider than also. Still, my wife seemed impressed with the idea of the limo (couple of posts above) picking us up at the airport!:cool:

I travel pretty often to SF and UBER has some options in SF that aren't offered elsewhere. I've been using Uber Pool which gives you a flat rate of about $14 from SFO to Fishermans Wharf. I've used it three times. They may pick up one additional passenger however the $14 is for one or two people so its cheaper than a shuttle.

I travel pretty often to SF and UBER has some options in SF that aren't offered elsewhere. I've been using Uber Pool which gives you a flat rate of about $14 from SFO to Fishermans Wharf. I've used it three times. They may pick up one additional passenger however the $14 is for one or two people so its cheaper than a shuttle.

My concern would be the "mountain" of luggage "we'd" have to fit in possibly a tiny car! Not that my wife packs a lot for these cruises......:eek: