Main dining room

sillysu

Are you allowed to dress casual and wear flip flops?

SuzieQ's IPhone

I assume you are talking about for dinner. For breakfast or lunch in the MDR, casual dress is OK. Some of the larger ships have more than one MDR. There is a more formal aft MDR where the "smart casual" rules apply. Smart Casual also at Le Bistro. There may be two smaller MDRs called Taste and Savor where you can go casual for dinner. You can also go casual at all specialty restaurants other than Le Bistro.

Yes, please keep the flip flops and shorts at the buffet and by the pool - not in the MDR's. You can also always order room service.

I usually wear a nice pair of dockers shorts and flip flops to dinner at the less formal mid-ship dining room. It is within the rules set by NCL. I don't see how that would affect you in any way, but if it does, please go to the aft dining room where pants and closed toe shoes are required. Don't think you can tell me where I can eat.

I usually wear a nice pair of dockers shorts and flip flops to dinner at the less formal mid-ship dining room. It is within the rules set by NCL. I don't see how that would affect you in any way, but if it does, please go to the aft dining room where pants and closed toe shoes are required. Don't think you can tell me where I can eat.

According to this, no, it isn't within the rules set by NCL:

"We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

Of course there is a huge difference between practice and the official policy. (And this can vary by the individual host/hostess, too. I saw a fellow taking the hostess to task on the Gem because someone was seated wearing something that he had been turned away for wearing the night before.)

I think this all has to do with the definition of "flip flops". Dressier sandals that are open toe, are probably permitted and not considered "flip flops", although they might be called that by some folks. Rubber soled shower or pool deck type "sandals" I'm guessing are what the dress code considers "flip flops". However, only NCL knows for sure what they meant when it was written. I'm going to guess you didn't ask if you could wear shower shoes into the MDRs.

If the sight of shorts offends you at dinner, then you should perhaps choose a different cruise line. Shorts are allowed at all dining venues except for the more formal aft MDR and Le Bistro. And even those two allow jeans.

No matter what the rules are, there will always be people trying to push the envelope.

I replied to this early on that I've seen plenty of people wearing flip flops in the MDR. Notice that I didn't say it was OK. But, if they are going to have it as a rule, then I wish it would be enforced. (But then you'll have those disgruntled folks who will be upset with NCL for trying to enforce the rules!) :rolleyes:

It used to be that the MDR's had a small sign in the check-in area that said something along the lines of, "Please, no jeans or t-shirts in the dining room after 5pm, thank you."

We saw people with jeans and t-shirts all the time. And next thing you know, that sign is no longer displayed. Can't beat 'em, join 'em?

I don't care for flip flops (we used to call them thongs) because I hate the smack, smack sound they make as people walk along. I never wear them, but I know people who live in them, and they have some that are quite fancy. So the interpretation of what counts for flips flops could be quite broad.

I don't care for flip flops (we used to call them thongs) because I hate the smack, smack sound they make as people walk along. I never wear them, but I know people who live in them, and they have some that are quite fancy. So the interpretation of what counts for flips flops could be quite broad.

The type that men wear are pretty much plain jane leather or cloth variety, and definitely would fall into the category of "flip flop". Women's, on the other hand, can be quite dressy. Many of them are the "thong" variety with various heel heights from completely flat to very high. They all display all or most of the women's toes, but I have never seen anyone challenged about their appropriateness in the MDR. I do not even think of them as being in the "flip flop" category, although some might argue that they are inappropriate and against the dress code. Probably the same ones who tell those wearing shorts to order room service or go to the buffet.:)