Unhappy dining experience

SandraDJ

I cruise solo maybe 1 in 5 cruises. Just off 27N Reflection TA and Rome-Rome. I am a female Senior, around 50 cruises. We had requested a singles table. It didnt work; 5:30 time, Table at kitchen door, worst waiter took 2 hours for service. 3 ladies showed. One wanted 9PM, I wanted 7PM. Called MD over. He said we should do Select(open seating), and dine when we wished each evening.Which we did I had excellent duece on balcony overlooking main dining area..Shame, have had some great singles tables. Do not know if it was the exceptionally low pricing or what but it wasnt usual Celebrity cruise crowd.Not very outgoing or sophisticated. Most never been abroad. No one conversed with me.Reminded me of my one HAL cruise.But great ship and some of best X food, weather ever, so I was happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Explorer of the Seas last year. The first night, at my request, I was seated on a table for eight. The first 25 minutes I spent on my own, then a German couple joined me but only the woman could speak English.

Another daft thing was the daily single get-togethers were at lunchtime in the MDR! This, while the sun was out and most were on top deck. Madness.

Surely the singles should be seated together in the MDR at the evening meal.

• 2 weeks later...

ive been cruising NCL for the past few years cuz i start with a studio cabin and the solo gatherings used to be something i needed when widowed. Ive asked to be seated with folks willing to share, and the hostesses told me most people dont want to share. Thinking this was untrue info, i polled CC members on a thread here, and low and behold, NCL cruisers often choose NCL cuz they dont force sharing.

Recently, I took a Princess cruise, where the histess asks if you wish to share. Some said yes, others no. What lovely conversations and meals i had with total strangers! Points for Princess.

My first cruise was with Carnival 15 years ago, and they seated people together with similar backgrounds. Very nice as well.

I forget how RCCL handles it.....

Just the observations of a sociable solo cruiser.....l

My TA will request that I be seated with other singles. Sometimes it works out well.

Interesting -- and varied -- responses on this subject in this thread. I’ll offer mine….

Freely admitted, I am not an outgoing person. As such and sailing solo, I don’t easily make “cruise buddies.” Therefore, I enjoy good company at my MDR table. At dinner I can make “friends,” review what we did that day, and discuss the next day’s plans. I think of dinner as a learning experience.

I’ve recently concluded my third solo cruise in as many years. I’ve not been happy with ANY of my table assignments. (Remember, I’m a single, solo cruiser.)

 First cruise: seated at a table for ten with a family of eight. (After the first night I DID request a table change!)

 Second cruise: seated with three married couples.

 Third cruise (and most recent): booked my cruise directly with the cruise line (RCI). TA requested a table for six. I was seated at a table for ten. At my assigned table for ten: 1) me 2) another single male and 3) one married couple. Four of us at a table for ten.

I have no idea how cruise lines do MDR table assignments. I suspect it’s left to some computer’s algorithm. But, having struck out three times in a row, I’ve concluded I don’t like algorithms!

Whether sailing single/solo, as a couple, or as a family, I guess MDR table assignment is just a matter of luck. Kinda like gambling.

I doubt there is a perfect solution. But what I do wish is that the cruise line’s algorithm would take a little more notice of us solo cruisers!

Edited by Love2Cruise4Less

• 1 month later...

I've been seated with interesting solos, boring families, former patients (the worst!), and charming couples.

I had several bad experiences in a row--a guy put way too much pepper on his steak causing him to sneeze 20 times (no exaggeration) all over the table. I handed him my napkin which he waved in the air instead of using.

One young girl ate like a rabbit, taking teeny bites and nibbling jsut like a rabbit. It was hard to watch.

Another time at a solo table we starting talking about OJ going to jail and someone commented they wondered how he'd do in prison. A guy piped in "what, he only murdered a woman and a Jew."

Since then I've done YTD and sit alone. Several times others have asked me to sit with them and it was fine as I'd been on excursions with them.

I've been seated with interesting solos, boring families, former patients (the worst!), and charming couples.

I had several bad experiences in a row--a guy put way too much pepper on his steak causing him to sneeze 20 times (no exaggeration) all over the table. I handed him my napkin which he waved in the air instead of using.

One young girl ate like a rabbit, taking teeny bites and nibbling jsut like a rabbit. It was hard to watch.

Another time at a solo table we starting talking about OJ going to jail and someone commented they wondered how he'd do in prison. A guy piped in "what, he only murdered a woman and a Jew."

Since then I've done YTD and sit alone. Several times others have asked me to sit with them and it was fine as I'd been on excursions with them.

Trust me on this :) You can have similar unpleasant table mates when you are part of a couple, too. IME whether solo or paired, there is a similar chance of getting "unusual" table mates :)

Trust me on this :) You can have similar unpleasant table mates when you are part of a couple, too. IME whether solo or paired, there is a similar chance of getting "unusual" table mates :)

Yep. Years ago, DH and I were visiting a National Park. We went to the remote hotel restaurant, and were told (along with others waiting) that they could accommodate us IF we would agree to "captains tables". (Meaning we all sat together.) There was a young lady, grad student at Stanford, along with a few of her buddies, who was quite taken with herself :eek: and the constant E. To say she dominated the conversation is mild: but mostly she only spoke to her buddies- :rolleyes: how she loved E. To this day we have a good laugh about "Miss E". And no more captains tables.:D