Is St. Kitts safe?

KristyM79

I have booked the Essential St. Kitts excursion and as I google St. Kitts, lots of articles on the increasing amount of violence and crime popped up on my search. I know that 5 years ago tourists on a cruise ship sponsored excusion were robbed at gunpoint on a bus. I don't plan on doing anything besides the excursion and know to be cautious of my surroundings, but all of the articles are making me nervous. Can anyone provide some insight?

We have been to St. Kitts multiple times and find it to be very safe. I remember Royston (of Royston Tours) talking about that robbery. The island is extremely dependant on tourism and they work very hard at making it safe. The robbery several years ago brought a quick arrest and heavy punishment for the perpetrators.

Go, feel safe, and have a great time. The people are lovely.

There was a bus full of cruisers that were robbed several years ago. The perps were caught and prosecuted. There is crime anywhere in the Caribbean and St kitts is no different. Most of the violent crime is between locals (gangs etc). There are property crimes committed such as robbery & burglary. These are crimes of opportunity and seldom are tourists involved. Use common sense when you visit anywhere. Leave the fancy jewelry at home or in the safe of your cabin/room. I have been going to St Kitts/Nevis on a regular basis and have always felt safe. I left my rental car open at the beach years ago and had property stolen because I was careless.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Essential St. Kitts tour through Royal Caribbean. It was excellent. Our driver, Sheldon, provided lots of history on the island, we visited Brimstone Hill Fortress and Romney Manor. I highly recommend this tour.

• 4 weeks later...

Anywhere in the Caribbean, or the world...for that matter, it is always a good idea to use common sense. Don't flash jewelry, cash or expensive cameras, keep an eye on your belongings and don't bring all your money and cards with you.

I have a copy of all my credit cards and ID's (front and back) that I keep in my safe on the ship, just in case any go missing, that way I have all the numbers I need to report it. Also, I don't wear my diamonds off the ship. I keep my jewelry locked up in the safe. Both my husband and I have "every day" wedding rings and watches we use when we are off the ship.

There is crime everywhere and news people are always looking to publish bad news...it sells.