June 2017 Greece cruise: RCI from Rome or NCL from Venice?

cruisingattitude

I learned quite a bit in planning my first ever cruise to Alaska, but it appears that I am still a novice when it comes to other destinations. So, I hope you don't mind my posting in this forum. :)

I am now planning a 7-night cruise to Greece in June 2017, and in fact just last night made a reservation on RCI Jewel of the Seas from Rome. The deal for three balcony cabins (for a party of four adults and two children) was quite good (low $6K total), so I grabbed the deal.

Now, once I started to think about shore excursions, I came to realize that I am not really excited about two of the four ports, Mykonos and Katakolon (Olympia), while I want to visit the other two, Athens and Santorini.

Upon reading more here, I got the sense that a cruise from Venice is also quite good, and my search found that NCL Star has a 7-night cruise from Venice. The itinerary looks quite appealing, as it has two ports (Dubrovnik and Ravenna) that I'd like to visit, let alone Athens and Katakolon.

The problems are these.

1. NCL Star doesn't appear to be as nice as RCL Jewel of the Seas.

2. NCL Star is also substantially more expensive (almost $10K for three balcony cabins) than RCL, and because of the price, we may need to scale down to interior or ocenview cabins.

What would you do if you're in my shoes?

Thanks for reading.

Are you getting the unlimted beverage package included with RCL because booking now you'll get that on NCL. Also check to see if the gratuities are included for NCL as they are offering that as a special as well. It might help to work out what is included/not included on both lines and then figure out the total costs/savings. There might also be a 3-8 passenger sails free promo going on as well.

Are you getting the unlimted beverage package included with RCL because booking now you'll get that on NCL. Also check to see if the gratuities are included for NCL as they are offering that as a special as well. It might help to work out what is included/not included on both lines and then figure out the total costs/savings. There might also be a 3-8 passenger sails free promo going on as well.

Thanks. RCI doesn't have freebies such as unlimited beverage package and free gratuities, but it comes with $225 OBC for each cabin, so I think these are comparable.

I have cruised NCL and RCI and prefer RCI, as for the ports, I would choose the RCI and if you are not fussed with one of the ports, spend a day on the ship while everyone else is exploring. It can be blissfully quiet and relaxing having the ship to yourself.:D

I'm glad you picked RCCL. Their children's program is wonderful and they really make the cruiser feel they are the most important person! My friends who have taken NCL, call it the "Never Cruise Line". We are doing an 10 day cruise on Celebrity June 30, 2017 to Greece. Enjoy your cruise.

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask what turns you off about Katakolon and Mykonos?

I've been to both.

IMO;

The Olympic site and ruins in Katakolon is spectacular, and especially with a guide who will make the sites come alive with amazing history.

Mykonos is one of the loveliest spots in all of the sea, Mediterranean or otherwise.

Those were two of my favorite ports on our Med cruise. Personal opinion, of course, others may differ. Just curious what concerns you about these?

Having cruised both RCI and NCL, the blanket statements that RCL is the "better line" are questionable IMO. Hated our trip of Liberty of the Seas but loved NCL Gem. Found the staff and passengers on RCL to be stiff and stuffy. Much warmer and pleasant group on the Gem to Canada, both crew and passengers.

Timing and itinerary may have played a role, but I'd take a trip on an NCL ship over any RCI mega-ship any day. RCI's smaller ships and NCL's larger might be different, but I'm in no hurry to cruise RCI again. Have a trip booked on NCL Jade next fall.

I see OP resolved the concern about the ports and I'm sure your family will have a great time. If this is your first visit to Italy, Rome is a good starting point. I hope you are able to spend a couple of extra days to see some of the city. It's amazing.

Hopefully, you'll have another chance in the future to cruise the Adriatic. Venice is also a beautiful city and the sail from there is supposed to be wonderful! Enjoy the planning and the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venice, go early spend some time in living history. It is sinking into the Ocean. I'm married to an Italian, my Father in Law lives in Rome and in the summer in the mountains. My wife describes Rome as 1 big slum, part of it cleaner than the rest. Stay in Verona and it will be a bit cheaper + you may not have to wade to breakfast. Dont pay the Gondaliers full price either! :D