Flying out of EZE in Buenos Aires

forshping

The airport is somewhat chaotic. Hopefully you will be sitting in a lounge and killing time. We were on Delta miles so we arrived early, checked in, cleared customs, passport control, and security. Then we were taken to a lounge to wait. There were bathrooms plus drinks and snacks provided and there some computers for use. Once the flight was announced, we made our way down to the gate.

Be advised - there is a hand search of carry-on items before you enter the jetway and you need to have your baggage claim checks with you for inspection along with your passport and boarding pass. If a couple is traveling together and one has all the claim checks, stay together. It can be a problem for the person without the claim checks if you get separated (I know from personal experience).

Edited by Mike2131

Buenos aires is very congested and has frequent demonstrations which cut off areas and streets. It took over two hours of nonstop bumper to bumper traffic to get to the airport.

Airport itself is also congested and disorganized.

Good luck.

Ezezia (Buenos Aires International Airport) security and passport control can be very congested. We have taken over a 1/2 hour to pass security and over an hour to get thru passport control. At other times we have walked right thru everything in 15 minutes. You never can tell so we always give ourselves 3-3 1/2 hours for departures.

There is a very large duty free area and the departure area does have a cafeteria area for food. It does not have the large selection of restaurants/bars that you normally see in a large international airport.

The Argentine's are working on upgrading the airport but it is still a work in progress.

I agree that if you have the opportunity to use an airline "lounge" it is definitely the best place to wait for your flight.

Also, the traffic in Buenos Aires can be a nightmare so always a good idea of plan on an hour to an hour and 1/2 for your trip to the airport from downtown.

We have family in Argentina and have traveled there yearly for the last 16 years.

Our flight wasn't until 1 a.m., so we took a tour we had taken before, but we still ended up at the airport at around 5 p.m. Of course the ticket agents were not open, and we had to sit in that airport until 10 p.m. to be able to check in and check our luggage. We were in Business class, but we still had our luggage and had to wait as they wouldn't let us take it "upstairs" unless we could carry it on the escalators. They wouldn't allow us to take the elevator with the luggage carrier.

Well, I am 74 and my husband 81. No way could we carry our luggage up the escalator, even one piece at a time.

Once the agents opened, we were first in line. We were ready to get to the club and put our feet up. When we got to the desk, we were told they couldn't find our reservation - Copa Airlines. We had our confirmation number and e-ticket. They finally got us on the flight (economy to Panama), and they did, in fact, have our BC reservation from Panama to Houston. What they did is they sold our BC seats. This happened in January, and we have yet to have reimbursement from Copa or United for the BC for that leg. They won't even return our calls or respond to our mail. What a nightmare in economy (middle seats).

They apologized and gave us a pass to the club. We went to the club and they wouldn't let us in, even with the agent's pass and our United Explorer card as well as coutesy club passes.

EZE is not the best place to fly from, and if we ever have a trip that involves Copa, we won't take it nor will we take a trip that involves flying from EZE.

The last time we flew from there, they took our hand luggage, even tho it had our meds. It was within the weight and size, but they said the overheads were already full so we would have to check it. That was when Continental was flying from there.

Are we jinxed or what. Needless to say, EZE is our biggest nightmare and we travel a good deal with good experiences.

We flew Air France from EZE to CDG. Our tour guide in BA took us to the airport and stayed with us while we checked in. Then steered us in the direction of the Security Check. We were in Business so went via the Fast Track. We then found the lounge and waited. All in all I think we were at the airport for 2 hours before flying. It was all very smooth - especially since I had been expecting some chaos. The lounge was nice and until just before flight time relatively quiet.

We flew United this past January from EZE to IAH.

I think most people said it correctly..

Allow extra time from downtown to EZE. We flew in January and traffic was light (that is a rare exception).

Allow 1/2 to check in minimum. The lines can be long and there may be few check in counters. We flew business and still had a long queue.

Again allow 1/2 hour minimum to queue for passport and security.

Not much to do in the wait area. We spent our time in the United contract lounge.

Haviing flown in and out of just about everywhere in South America, let me say DONT. All are nightmares and all disorganized. Arrivals not too bad but departures... you have no idea. I have no intention of going back knowing what I know now.

If you want to visit this area of the world take a rt from the USA it will be time and money well spent...

In EZE 5 pm for a 10pm flight left me with 45 min to spare....lots of walking!

The UAL club is excellent

Haviing flown in and out of just about everywhere in South America, let me say DONT. All are nightmares and all disorganized. Arrivals not too bad but departures... you have no idea. I have no intention of going back knowing what I know now.

If you want to visit this area of the world take a rt from the USA it will be time and money well spent...

In EZE 5 pm for a 10pm flight left me with 45 min to spare....lots of walking!

The UAL club is excellent

I'll put my two cents in since I lived in BA for five years and was there four years ago. Also, I believe I can speak with some knowledge of airports in other countries since I have spent a lot of time traveling the world. Is Ezeiza a nightmare compared to other airports around the world: absolutely NOT! Is it hectic? Sure! As are most major airports. There can be demonstrations within the city and yes you should allow an hour or so in getting to the airport from most locations - but five hours is totally ridiculous! Figure three hours from the time you leave your hotel to getting through security at EZE (if you're traveling first or business class you can probably knock 30 minutes off and do it in 2 1/2 hours).

A line was "well formed" when we showed up 3 hours ahead of time. I'd show up about 3-4 hours beforehand... and be prepared to wait in a long line for some hours... It's not the most efficient airport. :) But BsBa is a great place and worth it. Good luck.