pay for larger balcony?

Rala

My friend is going on a 5-night out of Tampa on Brilliance. She says that her travel agent has gotten her a Priority boarding "certificate". She has only one other cruise on RCCL and has just applied for Gold Status. She also says that she paid extra to get a bigger balcony. She has a Cat. D cabin. Neither of these things makes any sense to me, but maybe it is something new. Any body have any insight/info? :)

My friend is going on a 5-night out of Tampa on Brilliance. She says that her travel agent has gotten her a Priority boarding "certificate". She has only one other cruise on RCCL and has just applied for Gold Status. She also says that she paid extra to get a bigger balcony. She has a Cat. D cabin. Neither of these things makes any sense to me, but maybe it is something new. Any body have any insight/info? :)

Hard to say exactly what is going on, but Brilliance does have some staterooms with larger balconies. Those balcones that face aft are very large, and there are some at the forward and aft parts of the hump area that are larger.

Not sure what a "Priority Boarding Certificate" is, but if there is such a thing, it gets you on the ship maybe 10 minutes earlier.

Yes...D's are larger than E's, although the width of the cabin is the same...D's are longer.. but that doesn't affect balcony size...UNLESS they booked an AFT D! Then, the balcony is huge!...or has a corner "hump" cabin...some have larger balconies.

So..tell her you're happy for her!

Thank you all. I just tried to tell her that all Cat.D cabins are the same price no matter location or balcony size. I also asked if she originally had an Cat. E and went up to Cat. D. DH and I have over 30 cruises on RCCL and are pretty familiar with their policies, etc., and what she is saying was just very confusing to me. Just trying to see if I missed something along the way. I think my friend is the one who is confused or her travel agent or both! Anyway again, thank you to those who responded. :)

Unless she was a D2 and the TA moved her to D1 for a larger aft/hump balcony. This would cause a slight increase in price most times.

I think you are mistaken. All Cat. D cabins anywhere on the ship are the same price no matter the location or size of balcony. :) Thank you, though for your input.:)

Yes...D's are larger than E's, although the width of the cabin is the same...D's are longer.. but that doesn't affect balcony size...UNLESS they booked an AFT D! Then, the balcony is huge!...or has a corner "hump" cabin...some have larger balconies.

So..tell her you're happy for her!

I know all that and tried to explain to her that she shouldn't have to "pay extra" for a larger balcony in the same category of cabin.:)

I think you are mistaken. All Cat. D cabins anywhere on the ship are the same price no matter the location or size of balcony. :) Thank you, though for your input.:)

A cat D1 is usually a different (higher) price than a cat D2, which is what I believe Shelton was saying.

Yes, that's what I was saying. Thanks Bob!

Jewel Tomorrow 14 days!!

OK...my bad as the kids say. I thought it didn't matter which Cat. D 1,2,3 you had;they were all the same price. Now I know! :)

We've had the forward and rear jump, as in out, section deck 7 E balconies quite a few times when on Radiance class ships and they are extra large and almost as large as the aft D1 balconies. These only have a full height separation panels for the inner 2/3 of those balconies so some don't like due to the lack of privacy. As you can see outer panel is only waist high which actually makes it easy for groups of people on side by side balconies to converse with each other.

These use to be all E1 cabins but now only the more than two occupants ones are and the rest are E3s, typically the lowest cost balcony. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=375637&d=1454891496

attachment.php?attachmentid=375638&d=1454891496

attachment.php?attachmentid=375636&d=1454891496

RadianceDeck7HumpBal.jpg.5a3c2a45d5a67be96ef8fff9645c9c9e.jpg

RadE1RearLg.jpg.79c4403a2d252324e8e0635d495d18fa.jpg

RadDeck7E1Balcony.jpg.3e0719f4698aeb6220b7e7efde88194b.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

One of the benefits of booking with A** Travel is "priority check in". Could that be the type of "priority boarding certificate" the friend is referring to??

Yes, That may be it. T hey did book with A**. Do you know what exactly the priority means...geting on ship early, a separate line? Just curious. Thanks for the info.:)