Vancouver-Seward-Tokyo-Hong Kong-Singapore on Silver Shadow

rpfarris

Also, *last* voyage I passed out several $100 bills to the crew-members that I liked - mostly my bar staff and my butler and steward. You would not believe the way I'm being treated *this* voyage. I walk into a room and I'm treated like a hero. At dinner and lunch I am constantly offered "special" wines and the bottles are left on the table. At dinner last night I ate with two other Solo passengers and they could not figure out why we were the only table within view that had two open bottles of wine on our table. Every crew member treats me like royalty. Tipping at the end of the voyage is *definitely* one of those pay-ahead kind of things. It may not get you any payback on that particular voyage, but it pays back in spades from then on.

(I tipped because I felt like they deserved it. I had no idea that they would remember me.)

I am certain that your generosity was deserved by the splendid Silversea crew and appreciated. It is interesting that it paid dividends on a following cruise, presumably with different crew.

Having said that, may I suggest that your generosity might extend -- perhaps it already has -- to the Crew Welfare Fund. There are lots of people in the galley and the laundry and the provisions store, etc., who contribute mightily but largely invisibly to the cruise experience. The Crew Welfare Fund helps recognize these people. Reception will gladly accept your contribution.

I've put this off for a couple of months, but I'm in Vancouver now, so I guess it's time to start.

I haven't eaten at Tojo's, Cioppino's Mediterranean's Grill or Vig's yet, but I have eaten at Japadog, photo below. (No, that's not me in the picture!)

I embark on Thursday and will be reporting as I advance along my 2-month retirement party!

IMG_0107-M.jpg

Congrats on your retirement. We also ate at Japadog, when we were in Vancouver [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a couple notes: Kirk Detweiler, the normal Cruise Director on the Shadow went home for a one-month vacation yesterday. He's been replaced by Allan King for the next month. Allan has about 30 years on Kirk. I've only got about 25 years on Kirk, so to me, Allan looks old. ;)

Hi, Rick!! Great to hear that Alan King will be the CD on your cruise. Yes, he is a little "seasoned", but he can be very fun and interesting with his corny jokes and "silly socks", etc. Tell Alan that Terry from Ohio says "HI!". We did both 26 days in 2015 for the Amazon River and ten days last year in South Africa with Alan. Lots of fun memories and experiences from being with Alan. We had dinner with him twice and he has such interesting stories/background to share. Great history with his connections from growing up in Scotland.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,283 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

During our 2016 South Africa cruise on the Silver Cloud, here is the wonderful Cruise Director Alan King doing his wrap-up for the evening with his colorful soxes, plus his old-school, charming jokes.:

Africa2016PixsA2_zpsd48quaea.jpg

Terry, and WesW, I don't know how you do it. You explore all day and then come back and blog all night. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to look at Cruise Critic for the last 3 days. All the parties; the first Formal Night, the Beginners party - which I was roped into because International Hostess Soraia "needed another man" ??!!!??:D - the Solo passengers nightly cocktail party; when to blog?

But it's raining in Skagway this morning and my excursion isn't until 1:15 so I'm doing some catch-up.

We had wonderful weather in Ketchikan and Juneau. Warm and dry. One thing for those of you who like to book your own excursions, both towns have a well-developed industry for dealing with cruise-ship passengers. There are always several cruise ships in port and in both ports there is a large number of semi-permanent kiosks set up where the ships park and most any excursion you'd like to take can be booked in port at 1/3 to 1/2 less than the Silversea prices. Standard disclaimers apply.

On the way to Juneau all of the crew members were talking about Tracy's Crab Shack, where you can get Alaskan King Crab legs for $25 each. I was advised to go early because there will be a line out the door all day. The crew members were right! I'm posting a picture of the menu below. It works out to about $35/lb. In San Diego I pay $65/lb for exactly the same product.

I'm also posting a picture of a crab I caught, and an interesting store that was directly across the street from where we parked in Ketchikan.

More blogging next sea day - Venetian passenger party tonight!

DSC00266-M.jpg

DSC00259-M.jpg

DSC00261-M.jpg

DSC00250-M.jpg

Oh, and one more thing - what kind of bar do you think the "Arctic Bar" is?

DSC00249-M.jpg

Rick, terrific post and wonderful snaps. Your post reflects the joy & passion you are now experiencing on board--which gets at (for me and I'd guess somewhat for Terry too but best to let Terry speak for himself) why we blog (wife is in support letting me spend our valuable on board time posting).

We just very much enjoy sharing our Silversea passion with fellow Silversea cruise critics. Also, since 2004 we have learned a great deal from the generous sharing (cruise tips, booking tips, lessons learned on board, port/excursion tips) from fellow cruise critics--thus our post is way of giving back the generosity of cruise sharing we have received.

Enjoy your Whisper Venetian nite and welcome to the Venetian Society.

... There are lots of people in the galley and the laundry and the provisions store, etc., who contribute mightily but largely invisibly to the cruise experience. The Crew Welfare Fund helps recognize these people...

Actually, it doesn't. (This is final night of the first leg of this cruise.) Once again, I handed cash to each of the folks that I most interacted with over the last seven days. And I asked each one how they felt about the crew fund. Each one of them told me that the crew welfare fund was a joke; that the fund was NOT disbursed to the crew members, but instead it was used for crew "parties" that was not of any use for crew members that didn't like parties and that they vastly preferred direct funds that could be used for their families.

I mean, I get it that under some weird view, it *does* effect cooks and seamen that wouldn't otherwise get anything, but what they get isn't money, it's a 2-hour "party," much like our Captain's Welcome Party.

If the crew welfare fund was money that was split among the crew, I'd be all with you, but the crew doesn't appreciate it *nearly* as much as a little cash.

Terry, and WesW, I don't know how you do it. You explore all day and then come back and blog all night. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to look at Cruise Critic for the last 3 days.

Rick, terrific post and wonderful snaps. Your post reflects the joy & passion you are now experiencing on board--which gets at (for me and I'd guess somewhat for Terry too but best to let Terry speak for himself) why we blog.

Appreciate, Rick, these continued nice postings, pictures and follow-ups. Why do we blog? Good question!! First, I don't spend all night doing such efforts. Second, in downloading and checking the pictures from that day, it helps me stay focused on what I am getting visually and how to improve with future photography efforts as we travel.

Fortunately, I can compose and write fairly efficiently on my laptop keyboard. That helps speed the process and make it easier for me. The biggest plus to blogging is getting the great feed-back, comments, involvement, tips, etc., from those here on these Cruise Critic boards. Such sharing creates a fun "energy" that builds interest and excitement . . . both ways!! Also, being quick and able to do "copy and paste" makes things easier for me to pull up info items from my files and background on the various places/locations we are visiting. I am also good at writing on the laptop as I am watching TV, etc. That "multi-tasking" helps me in being able to do more while traveling, being at home, etc.

Finally, in real life, how do you get others to look at your vacation pictures? Not easy!! Here people have interests and involvements that are so nicely encouraging and helpful. Hope this gives you more background as to the cause of my "blogging disease"!! We encourage you to keep up your great sharing. Doing Alaska is definitely on our priority list in the near future. Much interest in what you are posting.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,829 views for these postings.

Actually, it doesn't. (This is final night of the first leg of this cruise.) Once again, I handed cash to each of the folks that I most interacted with over the last seven days. And I asked each one how they felt about the crew fund. Each one of them told me that the crew welfare fund was a joke; that the fund was NOT disbursed to the crew members, but instead it was used for crew "parties" that was not of any use for crew members that didn't like parties and that they vastly preferred direct funds that could be used for their families.

I mean, I get it that under some weird view, it *does* effect cooks and seamen that wouldn't otherwise get anything, but what they get isn't money, it's a 2-hour "party," much like our Captain's Welcome Party.

If the crew welfare fund was money that was split among the crew, I'd be all with you, but the crew doesn't appreciate it *nearly* as much as a little cash.

I have never imagined that the Crew Welfare Fund puts cash in crew members' pockets. I have always understood that it benefits crew members indirectly by helping underwrite crew parties, providing recreational equipment (the fund bought a basketball backboard/net that was wheeled out onto the pier on one cruise line), subsidizing or wholly funding onshore excursions to beaches or historic spots for crew. Depending upon the policies of the cruise line/HR officer/Captain, the money can be used to assist a crew member facing financial hardship (e.g., flying home briefly for family emergency, etc.) It's hardly surprising that your informants (who were getting your cash) preferred direct payments to the indirect support provided by the Crew Welfare Fund. But I know of no other way to express thanks/support for crew who work in the laundry or scrub dishes in the galley. And I think they really deserve recognition.

Siverseas explicitely says " no tipping!" To flaunt $100 bills to all is to me outrageous!

Siverseas explicitely says " no tipping!" To flaunt $100 bills to all is to me outrageous!

I do not think this is the case. I think it says that tipping is neither required nor expected (or something like that). I wish they said that crew are prohibited from accepting tips as one luxury line said some years ago. (Can't recall which.) Accepting a tip on that line was cause for non-renewal of contract. I always tip housekeeper and butler and a waiter, if I end up with the same waiter regularly in Restaurant. But I would welcome a tipping-prohibited environment (with corresponding increases in salaries and fares!).

I have never imagined that the Crew Welfare Fund puts cash in crew members' pockets. I have always understood that it benefits crew members indirectly by helping underwrite crew parties, providing recreational equipment (the fund bought a basketball backboard/net that was wheeled out onto the pier on one cruise line), subsidizing or wholly funding onshore excursions to beaches or historic spots for crew. Depending upon the policies of the cruise line/HR officer/Captain, the money can be used to assist a crew member facing financial hardship (e.g., flying home briefly for family emergency, etc.) It's hardly surprising that your informants (who were getting your cash) preferred direct payments to the indirect support provided by the Crew Welfare Fund. But I know of no other way to express thanks/support for crew who work in the laundry or scrub dishes in the galley. And I think they really deserve recognition.

In reading your post and Ricks and previously others on this topic, I do fear that this is one issue that isn't one that can be resolved. Some time back crew were complaining that the fund was being used to replace crew mess room furniture, so customers found themselves basically reducing SS's operating expenses, rather than helping crew.

At the heart of this problem is that customers really often say one thing to others but actually behave differently when "it comes to it" without probably realising that is what they are doing. If a company simply paid their staff more and put up their prices a bit, would customers actually welcome it and choose them? I don't think they do. If you asked customers would you prefer to pay an extra 5% "service charge" if all of that cash were use to increase all non-management staff's wages by the total contribution collected, perhaps many would probably say "certainly yes!". But do they remember that when they shop around for a cruise? If all things being equal in the mind of a customer choosing between two lines, if line "x" charged 5% more than line "y" and said that they would give that total sum collected to inflate staff's earnings, how many who said that they would pay would actually do so? IMHO very few. It is the same as the welfare fund. It is all about virtue signalling. I have no doubt that some who boast that they contribute to the welfare fund on CC boards do not do so. It is my instinct that a very small minority give to the welfare fund. But if you read posts on CC on the topic an unusually high number claim to do so, and I cannot recall many who do not, and if they do they feel that they have to justify themselves on threat of being seen as mean rather than simply honest. There is no reliable direct evidence, but I do not believe that the contractors who supply SS staff pay more to their staff than for those lines where tipping is expected, and so that implies that customer facing SS staff earn less than other lines when tips are taken into account, but that again doesn't overcome the probelm of staff that have no customer contact.

I am uncomfortable about the welfare fund because I think that most of what it seems to be used for is for items that I think a decent employer of people away from home on extended voyages should do.

For reasons discussed in earlier threads I feel strongly that no manager or MD should be allowed to receive tips although I feel that non-managerial staff should. I conclude therefore that being able to "extra-reward" the hidden people that do not have contact with us directly is simply an unfairness that we as customers cannot satisfactorily resolve and that the welfare fund is so remote from solving that desire or problem it has more of a function of making us feel less guilty about our relative wealth than it helps lowly paid staff's income or lives.

At the heart of this problem is that customers really often say one thing to others but actually behave differently when "it comes to it" without probably realising that is what they are doing. If a company simply paid their staff more and put up their prices a bit, would customers actually welcome it and choose them? I don't think they do.

Agree with Jeff on the "real world" actions/reactions by actual consumers. Their heart and mouth might say one thing that sounds good, but their wallet/brain does something very definitely different. It's Economics 101. Pricing is a real factor with most consumers, even those better off economically.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,578 views for this posting.

In reading your post and Ricks and previously others on this topic, I do fear that this is one issue that isn't one that can be resolved. Some time back crew were complaining that the fund was being used to replace crew mess room furniture, so customers found themselves basically reducing SS's operating expenses, rather than helping crew.

At the heart of this problem is that customers really often say one thing to others but actually behave differently when "it comes to it" without probably realising that is what they are doing. If a company simply paid their staff more and put up their prices a bit, would customers actually welcome it and choose them? I don't think they do. If you asked customers would you prefer to pay an extra 5% "service charge" if all of that cash were use to increase all non-management staff's wages by the total contribution collected, perhaps many would probably say "certainly yes!". But do they remember that when they shop around for a cruise? If all things being equal in the mind of a customer choosing between two lines, if line "x" charged 5% more than line "y" and said that they would give that total sum collected to inflate staff's earnings, how many who said that they would pay would actually do so? IMHO very few. It is the same as the welfare fund. It is all about virtue signalling. I have no doubt that some who boast that they contribute to the welfare fund on CC boards do not do so. It is my instinct that a very small minority give to the welfare fund. But if you read posts on CC on the topic an unusually high number claim to do so, and I cannot recall many who do not, and if they do they feel that they have to justify themselves on threat of being seen as mean rather than simply honest. There is no reliable direct evidence, but I do not believe that the contractors who supply SS staff pay more to their staff than for those lines where tipping is expected, and so that implies that customer facing SS staff earn less than other lines when tips are taken into account, but that again doesn't overcome the probelm of staff that have no customer contact.

I am uncomfortable about the welfare fund because I think that most of what it seems to be used for is for items that I think a decent employer of people away from home on extended voyages should do.

For reasons discussed in earlier threads I feel strongly that no manager or MD should be allowed to receive tips although I feel that non-managerial staff should. I conclude therefore that being able to "extra-reward" the hidden people that do not have contact with us directly is simply an unfairness that we as customers cannot satisfactorily resolve and that the welfare fund is so remote from solving that desire or problem it has more of a function of making us feel less guilty about our relative wealth than it helps lowly paid staff's income or lives.

This is a characteristically thoughtful post.

I think you are dead right about the participation levels in the fund. I contribute each cruise at the same time I opt out of the charity "contribution." The Reception staff are not surprised by my opt-out but do seem pleasantly surprised by (and grateful for) the Crew Welfare Fund contribution. It probably does me no credit that I nearly always ask about the participation rate. The response is always, "Very few." I think on most cruises the number of participants can be counted on the fingers of both hands. No toes required.

On Silversea and other lines, I nearly always receive a brief thank you note from the HD or the HR officer. It might be nice if they included a list of recent expenditures from the fund. I do not mean to (further!) underwrite Silversea's operating expenses. But I am pleased to help subsidize a coach hire for an onshore crew trip to a beach or some recreational equipment (like that basketball backboard/hoop on wheels).

This is a characteristically thoughtful post.

I think you are dead right about the participation levels in the fund. I contribute each cruise at the same time I opt out of the charity "contribution." The Reception staff are not surprised by my opt-out but do seem pleasantly surprised by (and grateful for) the Crew Welfare Fund contribution. It probably does me no credit that I nearly always ask about the participation rate. The response is always, "Very few." I think on most cruises the number of participants can be counted on the fingers of both hands. No toes required.

On Silversea and other lines, I nearly always receive a brief thank you note from the HD or the HR officer. It might be nice if they included a list of recent expenditures from the fund. I do not mean to (further!) underwrite Silversea's operating expenses. But I am pleased to help subsidize a coach hire for an onshore crew trip to a beach or some recreational equipment (like that basketball backboard/hoop on wheels).

There is no perfect solution, but there are possible imperfect but much better solutions.

I'd like to see an "enhanced" tronc system introduced.

To flaunt $100 bills to all is to me outrageous!
I don't think I said anything about flaunting. Actually, on the first cruise I subtly passed the bills folded up in a handshake. This time I put the tips in an envelope and handed them out to all the bartenders, which I could suppose could be considered 'flaunting,' but I made it clear that *all* of the bartenders were going to get a tip. And I toned the amount down a little bit. I worried a bit about the rest of the bar staff, but I decided that it was just another way of showing some of the benefits to moving up in their profession.

Some time back crew were complaining that the fund was being used to replace crew mess room furniture, so customers found themselves basically reducing SS's operating expenses, rather than helping crew.
This was also mentioned by the crew members I spoke with.

Quoted for truth. Especially for this next quote:

I am pleased to help subsidize a coach hire for an onshore crew trip to a beach...
I find this outrageous. SS should pay for this.

I'm sorry, but it's just been my style my entire life. If I'm going to give money away, I want to be involved in the disbursement. I want to see where it's going. We're going to have to disagree on this one.

However, the point that I think you made, Observer, is that it is an inconvenience for the laundry crew to send laundry in on transition days. This is absolutely true. Transition day is the only day that many of the crew have an opportunity to get off the ship and stock up on various sundries (mostly snacks) for the next leg. The crew doesn't have nearly the variety of meals that we do and they get mightily tired of their diet.

Anything you can do on transition-day to reduce the load on the crew will be appreciated. (And putting a few bucks in the pockets of your crew friends the night before won't be unappreciated either. Particularly since so few people do so.)

There are (understandably!) differences of opinion on this subject. At the risk of being flamed for double posting or some other grievous offense, I would like to submit below part of a message I posted elsewhere on this forum by way of a question/proposal to Mr. Conroy. It suggests another way in which those of us who want to recognize all crew (the waitstaff as well as the bartenders, the laundry staff as well as the butler, the pot scrubber as well as the waiter) could do so in an entirely voluntary way:

I just came upon an item about the Europa 2 (Hapag-Llloyd). On at least one cruise that was being reviewed, they had a raffle with all proceeds going to the crew welfare fund. The prizes were modest but special -- a crew towel signed by crew members, etc.

A raffle would provide a way of advertising and encouraging contributions to the Crew Welfare Fund. The drawing could take place at the end of cruise associated with the crew parade. Participation would be entirely voluntary. One would buy tickets at reception ($25 per?). If management really wanted to support this idea it could make the prizes more significant -- e.g.

$5000 raised in that raffle = first prize of 10% off future cruise

$7500 raised = first prize of 15% off future cruise

etc.