Topping-Up a Virgin Mobile Phone Card at Dover Port?

gtaylor

Are you sure your Virgin phone will work outside the USA?

I have a US Virgin mobile phone but as soon as I cross the border it no longer works

Just a thought

Edited by LHT28

This is a UK Virgin Mobile phone that I only use in the UK.

gary

OOPS me bad

sorry for assuming it was a U.S. phone

is it possible to top up online with Virgin mobile UK ?

This is a UK Virgin Mobile phone that I only use in the UK.

UK number +44 079=489- *****

Just looking for a spot to add some minutes/data to the phone.

gary

ATM's often have a Mobile Phone Top up facility, assuming your bank card is accepted by the machine, you just press something like "Network Services" or "Mobile Top Up" instead of cash or cash with receipt. Normally you have to put in phone number twice to stop errors but start 079489xxxxx forget the +44 as you are in UK.

Virgin mobile services on the handset dial 789 at no cost, which is handy if all the credit has gone, and follow the options of registering a credit card to use for payment. Minimum £5 or 05 then multiples of £5 up to £50 maximum. It's all explained by the automatic easy to follow instructions.

Some shops sell mobile top up vouchers which you scratch off but these are being phased out as a bit archaic. Many little corner shops and supermarkets have a terminal to add airtime to your phone. You can use your Top Up card if you have one (looks like a credit/debit card) you hand it in for scanning and pay cash for the airtime, most retailers wont accept a card payment for this transaction. I am not sure if retailers can do this manually with the just phone number and no top up card.

Finally some mobile phone numbers need re-registering if they have not been used for six months. In this case you dial 789 and get it re-registered by answering a number of personal security questions. Sometimes they go as far as asking what the little numbers on the SIM are. Can be worth writing these down beforehand on a seldom used phone.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Thanks.

I do have a Top Up card and cash.

Will certainly try the 789 when I get there. Used the phone in December, so just barely 5 months since last use.

ATM if neither works. :) Nice to have options.

Thanks, all.

gary

I top up with Virgin using the 789 number. I also can do this using this number from abroad too and it's free to use.

I tried the 789 from here and received a 'service not available' message.

I think I'm good to just do it as we pull into Dover or use the other alternatives.

Thanks, everyone.

gary