Carnival Mahogany Bay

eposadas

This is the only port where we decided not to do an excursion, yet...

After doing some research it looked like a good way to just do a beach day at a Carnival only beach.

My question...is this a nice place that will allow us to enjoy a nice beach day with a few activities sprinkled in

I see that they have canoes, and snorkeling for a extra charge, looks like they sell you food and drinks, but it looks like you can go back to the ship if you want to have lunch...

are there motorized sports here also?

is heading back to the ship for lunch time consuming?

will Mahogany Bay be enough? We like a lazy beach day for us but want to make sure the kids will be entertained.

And to add: 5 minute walk for average person. ship to beach.

However, no motorized sports/ no water inflatables. Canoes and kayak but only in a limited area. Lots of people use MBCC as a low cost beach day. Or partial beach day. No crime in that. I don't think the snorkeling is anywhere as semi-good as some people say. Yes a few fish around the breakwater and smaller pier. But not worth the charges for snorkeling gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Mahogany Bay Beach is good for something that is free. That is about it. Want great snorkeling from the beach and a more beautiful beach, West Bay Beach would be the place. Cruise Lines have excursions to there called Tabyana Beach Break but tour operators or resorts have cheaper options than the cruise lines.

Either way, Roatan is amazing and the port area is very beautiful. They even have zip lining there. Another thing that you might want to throw in is have Daniel Johnson's Sloth Hangout get you and take you to see the monkeys and sloths. You can take a taxi there. Only takes an hour to see everything there. Then head back to the beach

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Jumping into this thread too. :)

We're strongly considering a relaxing day at the beach here, as well. How fast do the chair lifts go? My dad has an artificial hip. We're weighing the strain of his walking to the beach vs riding over in the chairs.

Thanks!

Hi! Jumping into this thread too. :)

We're strongly considering a relaxing day at the beach here, as well. How fast do the chair lifts go? My dad has an artificial hip. We're weighing the strain of his walking to the beach vs riding over in the chairs.

Thanks!

Hi.

The chairs go pretty slow, like a ski lift- but just fast enough to get a nice breeze that is much needed in the summer ;) If your dad needs them to stop the lift so he can get on- just let the attendant know before trying to get on the lift.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question if any of you have done this beach day excursion, I currently have it booked, however I had hoped the chairs were reserved and mine for the day but it sounds like if I leave to go shop or eat and come back someone may have taken them over and the workers don't seem to care, has anyone found this to be true? Just curious.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We landed at Roatan on a rainy day, so our excursion to Tabyana was cancelled. The morning was just overcast with a sprinkle here and there, so we headed over to Mahogany Bay. Of course, the beach goers were not out in droves because of the unsettled weather, so the place was 95% vacant. We found chairs under trees to provide protection from the tiny bit of sun and from the drizzle. Most loungers would be completely exposed to the sun if you don't rent a clamshell, but there were a few like ours for the early birds to grab.

We swam and snorkeled (had our own gear), and found it completely unimpressive. I snorkeled around the pier and there were some fish, but nothing spectacular and the water was not crystal clear.

The rain came down heavy by around noon (torrential typical Caribbean rain) and we abandoned the beach in favor of the ship (after doing a little shopping).

Overall, if you want sun and an acceptable beach, you can make do with Mahogany Bay, but we are usually in search of low or moderate cost good snorkeling opportunities, and would not count this as one of them.

Don