British attitude toward tippping taxi drivers?

flamomo

Being from the UA, where tipping is the norm for cab drivers, I'm uncertain about whether to expect to do the same when using a taxi over there.

If tips are expected by cabbies in GB, is there a guideline as to how much ... a percentage of the fare, or is there some other way usually used to figure it?

I tend to just round it up to a round pound amount. Black cabs charge on a meter, so their rates are often in pounds and pence, so rounding up is easy. Whether I just round to the nearest pound or add a bit more on top of that depends on (for me):

- whether the driver's been friendly/chatty/helpful

- whether I'm too close to the nearest round pound (a 10p tip might seem too measly!)

- whether it makes the change easier (e.g. I might round a £8.50 fare to £10 just to avoid having to wait for change, or making the change from a £20 note easier)

If I'm getting a mini-cab (one that you pre-book - a bit like Uber), then I tend to just give an extra £1 or £2. Mini-cab drivers tend to be a little crazy, so I often tip less for those who've caused my life to flash before my eyes!!

If I was on a longer journey, I would tip more though, but just a short hop around London I wouldn't bother doing any more than that.

My husband is English and when we're in the UK, he generally rounds up in tipping situations like taxis, restaurants, etc.

I can understand rounding up in taxis, but mostly we leave 10% in restaurants (as long as the service is reasonable)

Rounding up to the nearest pound is the norm, tipping is really on the way out with card payments, uber,etc, few young people carry cash and even in restaurants with mostly electronic payments, often top ends a service charge is included, but the fast food outlets, pubs you pay the menu price. Tipping is so last century. Good riddance.