Charleston S.C. hotel

MURCOTT

Has anyone had any luck using Valuetrips for a discounted Charleston hotel? They do have a S.C. listing but the site is not functioning properly right now. Looking at Holiday Inn Exp. in Mt. Pleasant which is running $216 for the March dates we want. Can anyone suggest other hotels?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had any luck using Valuetrips for a discounted Charleston hotel? They do have a S.C. listing but the site is not functioning properly right now. Looking at Holiday Inn Exp. in Mt. Pleasant which is running $216 for the March dates we want. Can anyone suggest other hotels?

I booked the Hampton Inn and Suites North Charleston for August 2016. They had a Park and Cruise package, since we are going to drive for this cruise. Total with tax was 204.19 for two with parking, and r/t transportation to/from the ship.

Since I live here, I don't have any personal experience with park-and-stay at local hotels. That said, I can tell you that if you are staying at the HIE in Mt. Pleasant, you are well positioned to get to the historic area of downtown Charleston quickly and easily, in the event that you are arriving early to do some sightseeing. Also, anything in the $200 is a decent price for the downtown Charleston or Mt. Pleasant area. Tourist season never really ends so hotel prices can seem unusually high to those used to paying $79 for a HIE or Hampton Inn.

Since I live here, I don't have any personal experience with park-and-stay at local hotels. That said, I can tell you that if you are staying at the HIE in Mt. Pleasant, you are well positioned to get to the historic area of downtown Charleston quickly and easily, in the event that you are arriving early to do some sightseeing. Also, anything in the $200 is a decent price for the downtown Charleston or Mt. Pleasant area. Tourist season never really ends so hotel prices can seem unusually high to those used to paying $79 for a HIE or Hampton Inn.

Thanks so much for the reply. We are 3 Sr. women and wanted a safe area but do not need the parking as we'll fly in the day before the cruise. The HIE in Mt. Pleasant seems a good area now that you say we are well positioned for access to downtown. Jr. Suite is offered for $224 which is good compared to downtown hotels running about $400. Hope to do a tour of Boone Hall Plantation the morning of the cruise. Do you know if this is possible time wise?

Thanks so much for the reply. We are 3 Sr. women and wanted a safe area but do not need the parking as we'll fly in the day before the cruise. The HIE in Mt. Pleasant seems a good area now that you say we are well positioned for access to downtown. Jr. Suite is offered for $224 which is good compared to downtown hotels running about $400. Hope to do a tour of Boone Hall Plantation the morning of the cruise. Do you know if this is possible time wise?

The HIE in Mt. P is right at the base of the Ravenel Bridge, that crosses the river from Mt. P to downtown. From the Charleston side of the bridge you will only be a few minutes from the cruise terminal. :)

I have not been to Boone Hall in nearly 20 years. From your hotel it's 10-15 min north of your hotel, (in the opposite direction of downtown Charleston.) This link has the operating hours:

http://boonehallplantation.com/cms_pages/hours.php

Unless you are going to be here during the roughly one month period during part of Jan/Feb that they are closed, it looks like they are generally open at 8:30 or 9:00 am. I don't recall spending more than a couple of hours there (again, it's been nearly 20 years so my memory is a little fuzzy) so I think you could easily manage a nice morning there, before returning to the hotel to get your bags and head to the cruise. You should be able to use Uber to get back and forth, unless you are planning to rent a car for the evening and morning that you are here.

The HIE in Mt. P is right at the base of the Ravenel Bridge, that crosses the river from Mt. P to downtown. From the Charleston side of the bridge you will only be a few minutes from the cruise terminal. :)

I have not been to Boone Hall in nearly 20 years. From your hotel it's 10-15 min north of your hotel, (in the opposite direction of downtown Charleston.) This link has the operating hours:

http://boonehallplantation.com/cms_pages/hours.php

Unless you are going to be here during the roughly one month period during part of Jan/Feb that they are closed, it looks like they are generally open at 8:30 or 9:00 am. I don't recall spending more than a couple of hours there (again, it's been nearly 20 years so my memory is a little fuzzy) so I think you could easily manage a nice morning there, before returning to the hotel to get your bags and head to the cruise. You should be able to use Uber to get back and forth, unless you are planning to rent a car for the evening and morning that you are here.

Thanks for the link and the info. We arrive on March 18th but flight is too late for us to do much...unless I can talk the others into a 2 night stay before the cruise. That might be easier said than done!:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the link and the info. We arrive on March 18th but flight is too late for us to do much...unless I can talk the others into a 2 night stay before the cruise. That might be easier said than done!:rolleyes:

We did end up booking the Holiday Inn Express in Mt. Pleasant for the 2 nights before the cruise. It is a suite for 3 people with free breakfast each day for about $212 a day. This will give us plenty of time to see the things we wanted to see while in Charleston.:)

We did end up booking the Holiday Inn Express in Mt. Pleasant for the 2 nights before the cruise. It is a suite for 3 people with free breakfast each day for about $212 a day. This will give us plenty of time to see the things we wanted to see while in Charleston.:)

Not a bad rate, especially divided by 3 people!

Now.... any chance you can convince your companions to forego the free hotel breakfast and take advantage of the plethora or amazing dining options in the Charleston area? Obviously you have time for several lunches or dinners, but there are also many excellent weekend brunch offerings as well, where you can get a wonderful southern-style Lowcountry breakfast/brunch. I'm particularly partial to High Cotton downtown, and either Crave or Coleman Public House in Mt. P. But whatever you decide, enjoy yourselves and please feel free to ask any other questions you might have about Charleston or Mt. P. :)

Now if you want a nice view...take the walk across the Ravenell bridge. (The large one right by your hotel that goes over to downtown. You can't miss it.:D)

Now if you want a nice view...take the walk across the Ravenell bridge. (The large one right by your hotel that goes over to downtown. You can't miss it.:D)

I have heard that bridge does offer a great view. It seems, however, we will have to settle for the view from our taxi back and forth. I just had a knee replacement on Monday and although not expecting any problems by March, I don't think I'll push my luck by attempting quite that much walking. Thanks for the suggestion though.:)

Barb

Not a bad rate, especially divided by 3 people!

Now.... any chance you can convince your companions to forego the free hotel breakfast and take advantage of the plethora or amazing dining options in the Charleston area? Obviously you have time for several lunches or dinners, but there are also many excellent weekend brunch offerings as well, where you can get a wonderful southern-style Lowcountry breakfast/brunch. I'm particularly partial to High Cotton downtown, and either Crave or Coleman Public House in Mt. P. But whatever you decide, enjoy yourselves and please feel free to ask any other questions you might have about Charleston or Mt. P. :)

We are thinking now of taking a Tri-Combo Tour. Includes Harbor Tour, Carriage Tour and Boone Hall Plantation, all for $59.00. We could taxi over to Charleston in the morning [of our full day] for the Harbor and Carriage tours. I'm sure we can find a nice place for lunch and then taxi back to Mt. Pleasant for the Plantation Tour. From there, of course, the hotel is right in Mt. Pleasant so we'll hop another taxi to the hotel. Does that sound OK?:)

Barb

We are thinking now of taking a Tri-Combo Tour. Includes Harbor Tour, Carriage Tour and Boone Hall Plantation, all for $59.00. We could taxi over to Charleston in the morning [of our full day] for the Harbor and Carriage tours. I'm sure we can find a nice place for lunch and then taxi back to Mt. Pleasant for the Plantation Tour. From there, of course, the hotel is right in Mt. Pleasant so we'll hop another taxi to the hotel. Does that sound OK?:)

Barb

If you're considering so many taxi rides, perhaps you should consider renting a car? It may be much less expensive or at least a lot more convenient not waiting for the rides.

Barb

It sounds ok, but in this area think Uber, not taxi. This is not New York, and you won't find taxi's just driving around looking to pick up a fare. You'll have to look up a cab company, call them, and then wait for what could be quite a while. I have used Uber several times here in the local area and it's been quick and convenient and about what a cab would probably cost anyway.

It sounds ok, but in this area think Uber, not taxi. This is not New York, and you won't find taxi's just driving around looking to pick up a fare. You'll have to look up a cab company, call them, and then wait for what could be quite a while. I have used Uber several times here in the local area and it's been quick and convenient and about what a cab would probably cost anyway.

Good point, we'll look into it. Not really interested in renting a car so this is a great suggestion. I haven't seen any tour companies that offer hotel pick-up so Uber may be the way to go. Thanks again Meg.

Barb

Good point, we'll look into it. Not really interested in renting a car so this is a great suggestion. I haven't seen any tour companies that offer hotel pick-up so Uber may be the way to go. Thanks again Meg.

Barb

You're very welcome. If you have never used Uber, I'd give it a trial run before your trip, just to make sure you understand how the app works, how you request a car, etc. The Uber drivers I've had here and elsewhere have always left me with a positive impression, cars have been clean and comfortable etc.