Fall 2017 South Pacific

CruisinFromTx

HAL doesn't seem to get their itineraries out as quickly as other cruise lines do. I think I remember seeing on some thread months ago that HAL was going to bring back the Pacific/Asia Grand Voyage that they used to have in the fall on the Amsterdam in 2017.

When I booked the September 2016 "Tales of the South Pacific" while on Statendam last month, the FCC told me that she had heard 2016 was the last year HAL would be offering that itinerary so perhaps they will in fact be replacing it with the Pacific/Asia Grand Voyage starting in 2017. Guess time will tell.

When I booked the September 2016 "Tales of the South Pacific" while on Statendam last month, the FCC told me that she had heard 2016 was the last year HAL would be offering that itinerary so perhaps they will in fact be replacing it with the Pacific/Asia Grand Voyage starting in 2017. Guess time will tell.

Hope your FCC is correct. I would love to take the Pacific/Asia Grand Voyage.

Haven't been on Holland America in a long time, but interested in South Pacific Cruises for the Fall of 2017. Any idea when they will be announced?

It sounds like they will not be repeating the extra long Tales of the South Pacific route after 2016 - 43 days, but there will be the shorter ones that still go fairly deep into the South Pacific . Which ones were you interested in?

I know we grabbed the longer Tales of the South Pacific when we saw it because I had heard before it was not always available. Apparently they also did a WWII battle sites focus South Pacific cruise a few years ago - also one of those once or twice in a long time itineraries.

The count-down clock tells me it time to get the suitcases out ...can hardly wait. I'll report back. How easy should it be to pack only hot weather clothes this time? ;)

Wow! We are so lucky to be able to cruise the Tales of the South Pacific in 2016. RT San Diego is 48 days for 2016.

Cheers, Denise

You picked the good one- five days longer and lots of ports we will not be getting on the 2015 Amsterdam 43 day trip. Congrats on your good choice. Looks wonderful.

Edited by OlsSalt

You picked the good one- five days longer and lots of ports we will not be getting on the 2015 Amsterdam 43 day trip. Congrats on your good choice. Looks wonderful.

It's our 50th anniversary cruise! Cannot wait to hear all about your cruise!!! We will be in San Francisco taking photos of the Amsterdam as she leaves port on September 30. We will board her exactly one year from that day!!

Have a fabulous cruise. Come back and tell us all about it please.

Cheers, Denise

I too have heard that HAL is planning to bring back the Asia-Pacific cruise as a Grand Voyage in 2017, as did SJSULibrarian. Sorry that I do not remember where I read this, but I do remember that it was from a seemingly reliable source.

It caught my eye because I have been on the Asia-Pacific Grand Voyage three times in the past and would love to do it again someday. In the past it has been a Vancouver to LA cruise. Being a west coaster - love the ease of getting to/from at least one of the ports. I also have found the ports most interesting, including the last one I was on (2 or 3 yrs ago) that went to many WWII sites.

This fall there are some very interesting Asia and South Pacific cruise options with HAL, but most require a transpacific flight on one end of the cruise. (Or if you have enough time and money, you can do a series with Pacific crossings at each end, but takes a lot of work to figure it out and a ship change might be needed.

In case you wonder about my seeming emphasis on cruises to Asia/South Pacific, I have been very fortunate to travel a lot, including numerous long cruises on big ships and expedition ships. There really are no areas in the world that I have not been to that are accessible by cruise ship. Some specific countries - yes (Like Nigeria, Yeman, etc.). I have also been fortunate to do a lot of land travel. Now as I age, I travel to see new places but also to revisit "old" ones of interest, and to RELAX and be spoiled. The Asia-Pacifc Grand Voyages have always offered both interesting ports and sea days to relax.

Edited by wander

I too have heard that HAL is planning to bring back the Asia-Pacific cruise as a Grand Voyage in 2017, as did SJSULibrarian. Sorry that I do not remember where I read this, but I do remember that it was from a seemingly reliable source. .

I found the source on this. It was from WCB's blog on the 2015 World Cruise during the presentation by Stein Kruse and others on that cruise. The head of the Mariner Society said the Grand Asia/Pacific sailing will be back in 2017. I agree that Mary Ann and Bill (WCB) are reliable sources.

The Volendam was doing a trans-pacific route too a year ago, after poking around SEA and then coming back to Vancouver. Lovely ship.

The Pacific Grand Voyage was 78 days and went as far east as Singapore, then south to Indonesia, Australia, and back north and east. As someone has pointed out, the neat thing about the Grand Voyage is that it was round trip from Singapore, avoiding a long, long plane flight.

I found the source on this. It was from WCB's blog on the 2015 World Cruise during the presentation by Stein Kruse and others on that cruise. The head of the Mariner Society said the Grand Asia/Pacific sailing will be back in 2017. I agree that Mary Ann and Bill (WCB) are reliable sources.

Hopefully this will happen (WCB is very accurate) but have experience with things stated on the WC's that did not come to be as there are committees, etc that finalize everything. Loved the Grand cruise plus would stay on thru the Canal so I could drive home from Ft Lauderdale and only have 1 flight plus it was about the same price as a 1-way plane ticket. Will be interesting to watch as the Amsterdam has to sail somewhere after she comes down from Alaska in Sept. until she does her holiday cruise (usually Caribbean) followed by the world cruise out of Ft Lauderdale in early Jan.