What is there to "see" on Roatan?

kesham13

Trying to decide if a private tour with Bodden/Rony is worth it, vs. just having a nice day at Bananarama. It will be $30 each for the private tour, or $30 if I have Bananarama pick us up, but Bananrama will include a chair, drink and use of facilities in that cost. I will have to pay for that if I go Bodden/Rony.

Is it worth doing a private tour? We are not going to zipline (doing that in Belize), see the monkeys or iguanas, my DW won't snorkel from a boat (no blue channel :mad:).... so what will we "see" if we don't go do any of these pay activities? Just not sure if there are enough "sights" to see that make the island tour worth it, or if people mostly do it to get around to these different activities.

So, what would you do? Do the tour of the island (Bodden/Rony) with a few hours at the beach, or just go straight to the beach (Bananarama) because there isn't must else to see if you aren't into the items above??

Thanks for your opinions! :cool:

Everyone is different but I would go the Bananarama route. We did do the private driver for the day and it was great -- but we really enjoyed West Bay Beach. The monkeys -- can do without. The rum place on top of the mountain was okay. The private tour is great for first timers.

Another plus to the private driver is stopping for photos ops...unless maybe Bananarama will stop on the hill between West End and West Bay.. the view is delightful due to being able to see both sides of the island.

I would go the Bananarama route as well.

Unless you wish to be closer to the walk-in snorkeling.

by the by ~ Is you wish to see Blue Channel and you are comfy leaving your husband on West Bay Beach...hire one of the many locals with boats to pop you out to Blue Channel. Two years ago there was a wonderful guy who worked at Foster's who took me and a few others out, I don't remember his name but Foster's would.

Edited by Guest 2000

From Roatan you have the opportunity to take a boat (thru the ship or independent) to the Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world) where you'll have awesome snorkeling. :)

LuLu

Just returned from a week in Roatan, staying at the Infinity Bay Hotel. We were able to do a full day island tour with Garcia Adventures. They called us at home after we filled out their online request for a tour.

We told them what we were familiar with already on the island from our previous 12 or so ports of call there and a week last year on West Bay Beach.

They designed a tour for just the two of us - first stop was a butterfly/hummingbird sanctuary (up and behind Eldon's Supermarket) that also had monkeys, deer, macaws, and toucans - very nice. Then off to Pristine Bay Resort to see homes we could afford after we win the lottery. We then went to Oak Ridge for a panga boat tour of the mangrove tunnels, real neat. We traveled through the Garifuna community and then had lunch at the Parrot Tree Plantation Resort, authentic Honduran food.

Considering it was just the two of us, I was amazed that Garcia Adventures provided us with both a driver and a guide. The individual attention we received, along with the personal info from the guide Olvania and driver Olen was priceless.